When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBK 6538 Bond - just landed

King Charles

I wanted this from ND trading but at $3,800, my other half was going to make sure that I didn't live twice:

nd3n.jpg

So instead I got this MBK from Chris for a tenth of the price. Came with a nice riveted bracelet but I prefer it on the NATO.

Am I happy? Yes indeed. Not sure what to do to it first - suggestions welcome but bear in mind I'm a virgin modder.

new3.jpg

thats a nice project watch. i would start with a clarks crystal and better insert.. maybe a gen crown. You'll never find a Brevet one but maybe a old style 702 triplock or a new 703 would be a somewhat acceptable service replacement. I'd do a little sanding on the case to take the sharp edges down and send the dial out for some vintage work or swap it with an NDtrading dial. I dont know much about these early subs so i cant comment on the dial. I would bake the dial for a bit to turn the writing a bit more of a gold color then have it lumed with vintage looking tritium paint.... then of course you toss in the gen movement ;)

Congrads on the acquisition.

I mostly agree with the above, but the 6538's main claim to fame (aside from the Bond connection) is its oversized (8mm) 'Brevet' crown, which is rarer than hen's teeth (unless you are willing to spend upwards of $1,200 for a barely functional part or $1,500+ for a good 1 & you would still need to track down a 24-8000 tube). The good news is that a 6536, which is 1 of the projects I am working on below, is essentially the same as the '38 except that it is fitted with a standard 6mm Twinlock (or Brevet) crown.

All of that aside, I would swap out the lens & insert/pearl. Personally, I am not a big fan of those Nato straps, so you might also consider a gen 7206 rivet bracelet with 65 end links. But, of course, that is a judgment call

onthebench004red1.jpg

Having said all that, you also need to be aware that your case is larger (thicker) than a gen 653x Sub. That is probably the biggest difference between the NDtrading & rep case. So it may not pay to spend alot on gen upgrades.

Looks great!

I would add the classic watch parts bezel. It's quite a bit meatier, looks nicer in my opinion.

dsc00831gv6.jpg

dsc00827yj6.jpg

Then soften up the case, beat it up a little, and you are good to go. Mine is off to ddesj74's spa getting some vintagizing done and Tudor hands installed, then it'll be as good as I'm going to get it.

Welcome to the club!

I agree with Freddy about the Brevet crown- it's way too expensive- so I'd just stick with what you've got.

An insert from Michael Young at Classic Watch Parts would be a good start:

http://www.classicwatchparts.com/catpart/c...php?cPath=34_56

From the looks of it, the 6536, 6538, 5508 and 5510 all take the same size insert. And since the 5508 takes the same size as the 5513, you could even buy the insert on PMWF and put an Ofrei pearl in there for another $20- but the font on the numbers wouldn't be the old round font.

Freddy brought up a good point about the case being thicker and I'm not sure which crystal would fit- a gen would take the T-18 (or is it a T-16?), both are very scarce. Maybe a T-19 would work. I'm not sure how faithful the 6538 MBK is to the original- does it have the eta 2836-2 movement which would explain why the case is thicker?

Drill the lugholes, beat up and polish the case- simulated age. Also, like Dizzy said, aging the dial would help.

We haven't seen many of these MBK 6538's. They look like a cool watch. Keep us posted on what mods you do make

An insert from Michael Young at Classic Watch Parts would be a good start:

http://www.classicwatchparts.com/catpart/c...php?cPath=34_56

From the looks of it, the 6536, 6538, 5508 and 5510 all take the same size insert. And since the 5508 takes the same size as the 5513, you could even buy the insert on PMWF and put an Ofrei pearl in there for another $20- but the font on the numbers wouldn't be the old round font.

I think the pearl on the 653x Subs was smaller than on later Subs, but, otherwise, I would agree.

Freddy brought up a good point about the case being thicker and I'm not sure which crystal would fit- a gen would take the T-18 (or is it a T-16?), both are very scarce. Maybe a T-19 would work. I'm not sure how faithful the 6538 MBK is to the original- does it have the eta 2836-2 movement which would explain why the case is thicker?

The very scarce (& expensive) Tropic 18 for a 6536

T-25dial30071.jpg

Drill the lugholes, beat up and polish the case- simulated age. Also, like Dizzy said, aging the dial would help.

Ditto.

Gents, thanks for the advice - really appreciate it. I'm rather taken with Miquel's bezel and that minute marker-less white triangled insert in Freddy's 2nd post.

I've seen posts on the forum explaining how to take apart, fix, put together etc but I guess I'll still need to bother you all for help at some stage.

Here are 2 further photos showing the bracelet that it came with it. The second better shows the face which has a pleasant aging to it.

bond1l.jpg

facea.jpg

Here are 2 further photos showing the bracelet that it came with it. The second better shows the face which has a pleasant aging to it.

facea.jpg

You did well to toss the rep bracelet. If you plan to keep the dial, you might consider having the index markers relumed so they do not shine so much. They make the dial look like it was spray painted (which it probably was). If that is not an option, you might respray it with a matte varnish to tone down the shine. Of course, this will reduce the gloss appearance of the dial as well, but I think having an entirely matte dial will raise fewer eyebrows than will having shiny index markers.