When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Pam 187

dadog13

Pretty badass and ballsy at the same time...love it ^_^ . I have a gen 212j I've been debating about PVD/DCLing for many months now...I think it would look kick ass, but once done...it will probably be always in my collections so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. :victory:

Just saw this one on the 'risti forum...do you like it?

Would have been more interesting if the poster had decided to forgo the use of the flash button on his camera and take in natural light. :doh:

You can still see the over-exposed contrast between the 'black' matte rubber strap and the darker glossy/polished case, but still as bwhitesox mentioned, the finish doesn't leap out at you because of the poor choice of lighting. Personally, it does nothing for me - still has a polished appearance, so not much different than the look of the titanium 194 - whereas bead-blasting would give a more interesting effect IMO.

As for value, much as you do things like that for your own pleasure, I'd always wonder just how much of a hit you'd take on it by subjecting the case to an aftermarket job like this, if of course you ever decide to trade it in. Owner would probably expect above going market value as well due to its "rarity" :rolleyes:

Me? Whilst I may like the thought of a bead-blasted/coated 187, I less like the thought of paying thousands of euros for a pre-owned watch I know has been stripped down in some unauthorised 'shop' (yes, even IWW) and had its case treated in this manner. It's the sort of thing I'd get done to my rep not my gen.

Not to mention the possibility of an OPSC shuffling uncomfortably before shaking their heads in refusal if it ever needed a service etc. Ouch. :black_eye:

That guy probably just ruined the Panerai 2009 SIHH launch of their latest 'secret' model. :lol:

Either that or someone at Richemont just slapped their head and went 'PVD the entire range! Why didn't we think of that?!'

I commend the guy personally, he broke from the pack. Crazy yes, but good kind of crazy.

SIHH 2009 already been and gone my friend ;) (they controversially split it and Baselworld by 3 months instead of 3 weeks)

As for being good crazy, I think it's more stupid crazy for the reasons I've already outlined above.

If I want to mix gen Panerai plus PVD look that is durable (not the crappy shiney ceramic) then I'd look at that gorgeous 322(?) you know the new DLC'd Regatta with ratty movement :drool: