When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gmt-master, 1675

Jetsons

I've been searching forums for opinions of the vintage GMT-Master and it seems to be unanimous that a decent quality clone does not exist. This is really a shame as the matte dial version of the GMT with the tall acrylic crystal is a drop dead gorgeous watch.

Yesterday, I stumbled across a version of the 1675 has the required side case holes, nice tall acrylic crystal, appears to have good date mag, correct hand stack, accurate crown and the dial markers/hands have a nice ivory patina. All very good ingredients indeed. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The issues at first glance would be mainly:

* Oyster Perpetual Date: the word "Date" would seem incorrect for the matte dial. All 1675s I've seen in person and photos have "Oyster Perpetual". Correct for the 16710.

* Coronet: Too small for the matte dial model. Correct for the 16710.

Searching for possible 1675 dial variations, I read this version of the dial may actually have been produced and available in very late model 1675s. It appears to be a transitional matte dial which had the word "Date" and the small coronet of the glossy dial that replaced it . A chap at TZ reportedly owns such a watch but unfortunately, have not been able to locate scans of it. It would be a rare dial but would also appear to be correct.

Any thoughts?

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

Yesterday, I stumbled across a version of the 1675 has the required side case holes, nice tall acrylic crystal, appears to have good date mag, accurate crown and the dial markers/hands have a nice ivory patina. All very good ingredients indeed. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Any thoughts?

Jet

Any pics? Where did you find it?

I've always been lousy with the model numbers but I'm sure the transistional model should look like this. The only thing I don't like about the rep is the crystal, which is way too bulged up. And if I'm not mistaken this watch had sapphire crystal:

95285-27428.jpg

Hi, Bytor:

What I read at Timezone is the vintage 1675 matte dial with the word "date" added & small coronet was produced briefly prior to the introduction of the glossy dial & sapphire crystal model you refer to. I wish I could find photos of the gen but haven't been able to do so, yet. I'll keep searching. :)

--------------------------------------

TZ posts on the subject:

It is my understanding that the word 'DATE' can be found on some of the matte dial 16750's just prior to release of the glossy dials. In addition, the matte dials with the word 'DATE' also have a smaller coronet much like the one found on the glossy dial vs. the taller coronet w/o the 'DATE' wording.

A fellow member of this board has one, maybe he will post a pic of it.

An experienced watchmaker told me don't get excited if a Rolex dial appeared not to follow the conventional wisdom. Rolex puts whatever dial they have in stock on a watch. When I called Rolex NY they didn't know if it was true and didn't care to find out.

-----------------------------------------

Cheers,

Jet

Very interiesting project as always, Randy. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Very much looking forward to seeing the unveiling of the finished production. :)

May I ask what you will be using as a base watch? Any thoughts on the illusive transitional 1675 matte dial?

Regards,

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

Not too sure what the base watch will be just yet. A lot of the rep 1675's won't work too well with genuine parts like the dial and crystal, as they are based off of a 1680 rep case; the 1675 dial is much larger, and hence needs the proper case for the dial to fit. Also, the profile of the case is important as well, as the 1675 is quite thin in comparison to the Sub.

As for the transitional dial... I've not seen a 1675 with a DATE signed dial. However, I have seen some 16750's with the quickset and matte dials signed DATE :)

Ubi, thanks for the all the info! It seems to me that for your project, only a gen case will do. :D I've come across a few very good gen dials but passed on them as I wasn't sure how they would work with a rep case.

Thanks for the verification that the dial used on Mrs. King's 1675 was manufactured.

Good eye, alligoat. I noticed that as well. I've also seen gens with the closed 6's so I'm not sure what's up with that. :g: Check out the photo, offered for close to $3K.

Cheers,

Jet

post-191-1154426375_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jetsons

@ Jetsons,

Yeh, now that I think about it, date wheels for the 1570 series of movements varied all over the place. I have a 1500 gen Date (1966) and it has closed 6's and 9's and round top three's on a white background. Original. Saw a gen DRSD with the same datewheel not too long ago. And then the subs have the flat-top 3's and open 6's and 9's, on a silver background. There's also the open 6's and 9's with the round top 3's.

At least w/ Rolex, you can count on them being inconsistent, which is good for us rep guys

Very interesting GMT Master, alligoat. I've never seen that version before. Thanks for the link. :)

As you mentioned, one of the great things about vintage Rollies is that there seems to be an exception for just about every detail. Very good for us rep guys, indeed. :lol:

Regards,

Jet