When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

klj

RWG Technical

Nonsense - a fully serviced Asian movement , even if done by a professional would never give you a gen quality movement.

These are Chinese made with many middle men in between taking their cut of profits. QC at levels in Swiss factories simply do not exist there. The cost base is so much less

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense - a fully serviced Asian movement , even if done by a professional would never give you a gen quality movement.

These are Chinese made with many middle men in between taking their cut of profits. QC at levels in Swiss factories simply do not exist there. The cost base is so much less

Yeah...no...gonna say you're wrong on this one. There's a difference between faking a case and "faking" a movement... especially if the patents on said movement expired long ago- making the IP related to the construction of those movements public domain (IE- Seagull copying the 2892 and billing it as their own movement- perfectly legal and an AWESOME movement btw)... the A7750 has been praised by The Zigmeister as being a great movement- especially after servicing.

If the ETA 7750 is having more problems than a properly oiled A7750...that speaks volumes doesn't it?

Speak for yourself! Obviously you don't know the experts here! And please don't insult them! Servicing these Asian movements don't make them into Gens, but at least in performance, they are close after the servicing! I wonder if you actually have your rep watch serviced! I have and I could vouched for their performance~!

It all depends on what you mean by performance. If properly serviced, friction in the system should be minimal and there should be limited to no wear on the parts over the life of the movement. Maintain servicing through regular cycles, and parts will not wear out until years and years down the line with life expectancy similar to a gen mechanical movement.

When serviced, proper regulating can bring the watch easily within the "performance" COSC specs of the genuine Valjoux/ETA movements. This has been proven time and time again by the membership here.

HOWEVER, I don't think you'll find anybody who's qualified to work on a 7750 movement who will say that working on them is as easy as working on an ETA engine as there are problems with parts availability, the initial dirtiness of the movements and some other idiosyncracies which folks like The Zigmeister have pointed out. Once serviced though, it should follow that successing servicings will be easier as things were put in proper order at the start.

But I think the sentiments of this forum is that at best , if you don't go out and get it serviced immediately which is very expensive, there is a high risk of failure. At worst, taking the other contrubutors view - the movement is badly designed in the first place and is doomed to break

Whichever way, will they live beyond 5 years?

Endorsement.......is it?..............hmm...... sort of, but very high caveats

Why not go for a 9 o'clock seconds - more reliable and easier to replace movement when the unthinkable happens? Don't these one look as good?

R

I don't think you are doing yourself any favors and setting yourself up for failure by thinking that service is very expensive. It is part of this hobby and it only seems like it is because you are paying so little for such a nice watch to begin with. The watch in this discussion is really nice and pretty close to world class for five hundred bucks or so.

Also, you may have missed it but the risk of failure has nothing to do with the seconds at 12 complication specifically. Any dirty Asian or Swiss movement is subject to failure. Teh A7750 is on par quality wise with the low level ETA's and ETA clones we see in our reps as well. But if dirty, that is what will cause the failure, not the movement type. And no, service isn't required at the outset. The way to handle it, and what most do is take your chances. If the watch stops after a month or two and you know it is a movement and version which has been evaluated as being a low friction/decent design per The Zigmeister' or another's assesment, just get it serviced then if you want to keep the watch. It makes no difference really whether service happens now or in five years.

Look at it this way, it is one more service out of the way and you can probably push the next one to 7+ years if you get it done right early. Again, expect to service any movement - gens too. So the price is one more service for a couple hundred bucks in order to save 75% or more in cost from the gen watch. I mean this in the niceest possible way bro, but you have to just suck it up if you want to enjoy this hobby. Just because a watch is a rep doesn't exempt it from service somehow and because it costs less it shouldn't be treated as a throwaway.

thank you so much for doing this review The Zigmeister. I have 4 AP@12 and I took the risks, because I just love AP's. I am just so happy that you OK'ed this one.

Now, do you do watch servicing The Zigmeister? If I'm not mistaken, have seen somewhere that you do servicing, i just can't find the link.

If not, where do you guys service your watch? and how much?

I know the gen service cost quite a bit, probably 1-2 rep AP's for just a service. I hope rep servicing is not that bad :)

Arrowax, I recommending sending a pm to The Zigmeister asking him to email to you his service list

which will have pricing

If his pm is closed that means he is booked solid with appointments for quite some time and you will have to wait until hispm is open

Cheers

M

thank you