When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Blingiest Watch Ever?

RobbieG

So by now you are all probably familiar with the amazing Ulysse Nardin Royal Blue Tourbillion. A genius design which combines a tourbillion escapement with completely bridgeless works that are actually mounted to a combination of clear and blue saphire crystals giving the impression of the movement suspended in and the tourbillion rotating in thin air. Even the initial versions were quite jeweled with three levels of diamond and sapphire adornment on its case.

But now Nardin has released a final version of it for the truly bling obsessed - The Royal Blue Tourbillon Haute Joaillerie Full Set. It features a larger 43mm platinum case (because of the jewels). The amount of jewels is pretty staggering. In addition to the giant blue sapphire which serves as a functional jewel for the center pinion of the tourbillion, there are an additional...

-80 baguette-cut diamonds (5.07 carats) on the bezel, lugs, and crown.

-45 baguette sapphires (9.19 cts.) are in the case and lug flanks.

- Another ring of baguette diamonds encircles the outer rim of the dial, punctuated by baguette sapphires at the hour positions.

- And get this, a platinum bracelet set with 432 baguette diamonds (27.77 cts.) and 176 baguette sapphires (6.99 cts.).

- Finally, there is even a sapphire cabochon set on the top of the winding crown.

The price? UN isn't saying. I'm sure all 30 pieces are already spoken for before production has completed so it is of no consequece to anyone who would buy something like this. But I can tell you that the retail price of the previously "most jeweled version" is $255,000 already - and that was on a croc strap and had none of the baguette cut diamonds and sapphires on the case and lug flanks - not to mention a full platinum bracelet with over 30ct. of jewels. Certainly over a million dollars US and the thing must weigh a ton. :o

Oppulence. Just goes to show there are more people in this world than one would think that have so much money they just don't know what to do with it.:bangin:

Somebody get my buddy jfreeman in here. :D

royaljewel4.jpg

royaljewel.jpg

royaljewel3.jpg

royaljewel2.jpg

:mellow:

That design actually works...

Blingy? Absolutely

Can only be worn by someone into Big Pimpin'? Fo sure...

But it's not actually gaudy, in the way which Rolex's venture into the "Pimps 'n' Ho's" market are... Of course, after it got worn a while, and some of the jewels come out of the settings, I don't think it'd have quite the same impact :lol:

Big Bling is a tough competition -

Lots of competitors there!

I'll submit this elegant little Big Bang with the subtle diamond finish -

hublotdiamondbang-thumb.jpg

439 hand set diamonds - $1M +

Again, only really wearable by someone into Big Pimpin', but as a design, it works, rather than looking like a watch which had a load of jewels randomly added to it :good:

Yeah, the interesting thing about the Royal Blue is that usually you see really expensive high complications, then you see really expensive jeweled pieces with standard movements or the occasional standard tourby. But rarely do you see a piece that stands on its own as an amazing timepiece innovation when all the jewels are stripped away. The UN Royal is certainly one of those pieces and if not the most interesting tourbillion movement then it is #2 or more likely tied for first with the Breguet double w/rotating dial. Their Genghis Khan tourby/repeater combo with Westminster quarter repeater, elemental glass dial, moving automatons and tourbillion escaement is right up there as well...

GhengisKhan.jpg

At least UN is a real brand... God I hate Hublot...

EDIT: No offense RL...

Yeah, I gotta agree with you there. Not much substance there, especially in technology and development. Not to mention the BB is no doubt a derivative of the Royal Oak design. Imitation is a great form of flattery though as AP's RO and ROO sales have been completely launched off the charts because of the BB fad. Not that they needed it really, being a limited production company like most, but the increased demand allowed AP to raise prices alot and get away with it.

But anyway, it just goes to show that without technology and design development as it relates to complications, no company will ever really gain respect at the highest level, no matter what maybe "hot" sales wise. Unless Hublot enters that arena they are going to have a hard time in the future once the "watch craze" really starts to fall off.

I prefer the VC Kalla Lune... these Corum hands just don't work in my opinion.

Yeah I see Corum in those hands...or, maybe, Corum stole those hands ;)

Who knows? Might have been interesting to see blued skeletonized hands to go with the "blue" look and dropping the blue bridges...idk- personal preference.

Lol. It's not a race Bergster - and it's not $255K for that one. That is for the strapped model, not the high jewelry version. UN won't say how much it is, which is pretty scary. Certainly both are way too much to make any sense at all. And as for the Hublot plug, surely a young AP man such as yourself can recognize a copycat when he sees one? Not that it matters to me though. I wouldn't keep either of them until the end of a day before putting them up for sale myself. But I do recognize the quality and superiority of the AP product hands down. Simply a world class manufactory for sure. Hmmm, I wonder where Hublot got the idea for the Big Bang?

Style_Royal_Oak_Offshore_Chronograp.jpg

hublot_1.jpg

And not to bust your chops too bad, but you are showing your age by using the term "owned". Sounds like something they say on that show Laguna Beach or something. A fine European (young) gentleman such as yourself should try to avoid sounding like one of those little rubber people with frosted tips and a man bag at all costs.:rofl:

Somebody asked me about the blue sapphire and the difference between the colors if any. I suppose this is a good place to post the answer. The Sapphire crystals in our watches is actually Synthetic Sapphire as you know, but it is kind of incorrect to even call "real" clear Sapphire, sapphirereally...

Synthetic Sapphire is used instead of the real deal for costs and time obviously. Real Sapphire takes about a hundred thousand years to make (lol) and synthetic takes a few hours. It is the same substance though. Identical in every way really, minus any character nature provides. It has a hardness of 10 on the Mohs scale, which is the maximum and only diamonds are a harder substance anywhere on the face of the earth.

The material known as Sapphire is Aluminum Oxide, but in its clear form is known as Corundum. But that is kind of boring and hard to remember so we call it Sapphire. Technically, Sapphire is only Aluminum Oxide (Corundum) which is blue in color. Ruby is red Corundum. Emerald is Green Corundum. Genuine Sapphire, Ruby, and Emerald are all the same substance naturally and only have different values due to rarity in nature.

So the next time you think of a "Sapphire" crystal, just know that it is really colorless Aluminum Oxide or Corundum and that only if it were blue Corundum would it technically be Sapphire.

So the translucent bridges and plates on the Royal Blue Tourbillions are a combination of clear and blue Corundum, but the blue sections are technically the only which should be called Sapphire.

i know that hbb is inspired by the APRO, the guy Jean-Claude Biver was working in Ap before he joined the swatch group and became CEO of hublot...

well copy or not, the watch is simply beautiful both design and qualitywise (if you ever owned or handled gen HBB you will agree with me)..ok its more a fun watch rather a "horological timepiece" but most people dont care anyway, the movt is good enough. although i of course prefer AP over HBB because design, movt all just better..

UN, its just not comparable imo. quality is ok but design is just tasteless, boring, trying too hard to impress with details..plus they use ETA base calibers...(maximarine etc)

looks a like watch you would get as gift+chocolate when you buy a yacht, lol. even that im involved with marine buisness, i dont like that brand.