When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vacheron Constantin Historiques 1921

RobbieG

...The "different/fun/interesting/conversation piece" timepiece category, with historical significance of course. Pugwash got me thinking about IWC's contribution to this broad idea with the FA Jones - a throwback to the crossover era when wristwatches were merely pocketwatches with straps on them.

Similarly, Vacheron Constantin had such a piece in 1921 which was a cushion shaped case. Not a pocket watch design per se, but rather a driving watch with an off balance layout designed to be viewed when driving so that the dial is visible perfectly with a hand on the wheel without twisting the wrist. This is a true homage to the "Roadster" era of the early 1920's. Because of the case shape and dial placement, the crown is in an interesting spot to provide balance for the entire watch. This brand new recreation is a nod to the original as well as that wonderful feel and vibe of the art deco era. Like the FA Jones, a truly American handwind in design and history.

So may I present Vacheron's new vintage recreation - The Historiques American 1921. So simple and elegant and above all, fun. The watch is designed as a modern and larger wearing (due to the shape of the case) 40MM. Certainly large enough, but not too big as I personally feel the "all dial" 43MM Jones is. The first release of the 1921 is in Rose Gold as are all the new VC releases at SIHH this year. However, a white gold and special 950 platinum edition will follow in 6 months or so according to VC reps.

I must say if I were wanting a sort of a "different" historic watch like the FA Jones is in essentially being a pocketwatch with a strap on it, I would love to have this in my collection to fill the "conversation piece" category. Not that the Jones Caliber is any slouch, but the new VC Caliber 4400 handwind is getting great reviews. Beautiful too, and refreshing in that it isn' the typical 3 bridge plus the blance c*ck design on every high end Swiss Caliber. Sort of like a cross between a Swiss look and an almost Glashutte region 3/4 plate look but with two pieces instead of one. And get this on the 4400 - just 2.8MM thick (!), a 65 hour reserve (wow! - from a dress Caliber?!), one large mainspring barrel, and of course another Hallmark of Geneva completely in-house caliber...

1921.jpg

1921b.jpg

1921c.jpg

1921d.jpg

Yeah, I sure am BT. This one is new at SIHH this year so it isn't "all around" just yet. I also saw a wristshot somewhere and it is wild how the dial is always pointing straight up and down at you with your arm at resting angles.

The price? A reasonable (or should I say typical for a Big 3 dress piece) $24,900 in RG. WG will be a hair more when it comes out. Both these have solid silver sandblasted dials like the new Patrimony's.

When it comes out in platinum it will be stupid money and a limited production I'm sure - with the tell tale little 950 on the dial, which I bet will also be a platinum dial on that version just like the Malte Chrono and Patrimony Contemporaine that they did in PT. Always the little "PT950" stamp in the special editions in that metal. Like this:

patrimony950.jpg

And you know I just took another look at the 1921. They could rep it pretty easily with a 6497. They could even cut the bridges to make it look very close to this. And they could either mod the seconds train and move it to 3 just like they did with the seconds at 12 7750. If not, they could just release it with seconds at 9 and it would look fine. Of course they won't as it wouldn't be a fast mover but seeing some "different" pieces like this would be cool. This is an example of a watch that I would never buy for a core collection as it is so obscure. I would have to have money to burn to have it, but if I did I must say I would put it on the list. Anywhere you went it would be a conversation piece with non-WIS for sure - & WIS too of course...

I'm not so much into the Quai, but I get it. Back to the new Caliber 4400 movement though - it is a landmark Caliber for VC. A really well known independent watchmaker with gibs of unbiased respect tore down one of the first ones and said it was the finest base Caliber he has ever seen. Every piece is finished to the same level front and back. He did a series of pics where he took the movement apart in layers and you can hardly tell which side you are looking at! The underside edges of briges are even chamfered! In other words, the dial side is as nice as the caseback side! He also said they are the finest Geneva waves he has ever seen with really clean end strokes.

It has a 65 hour power reserve from a simple single barrel setup as the movement is a good size. This is great too as most smaller base Calibers (like the VC 1400 for example) are made for 32MM watches and up. The result is funny looking casebacks with alot of spacers in them. Probably even more important is robustness. EVERY part is jeweled. Even ones that aren;t commonly jewled. The friction properties are amazing. A movement made to last a lifetime. If you notice, it is almost a 3/4 plate design. It retains the strenghth of that type of layout - more like classic Glashutte region style than Swiss - but by splitting the barrel bridge and wheel bridges up it sort of finds a happy medium of 3/4 plate robustness with a bit more ease of service.

I don't have all those pics from that complete review but here are some...

4400f.jpg

4400e.jpg

4400d.jpg

4400b.jpg

4400a.jpg

4400c.jpg

And you know I just took another look at the 1921. They could rep it pretty easily with a 6497. They could even cut the bridges to make it look very close to this. And they could either mod the seconds train and move it to 3 just like they did with the seconds at 12 7750. If not, they could just release it with seconds at 9 and it would look fine. Of course they won't as it wouldn't be a fast mover but seeing some "different" pieces like this would be cool. This is an example of a watch that I would never buy for a core collection as it is so obscure. I would have to have money to burn to have it, but if I did I must say I would put it on the list. Anywhere you went it would be a conversation piece with non-WIS for sure - & WIS too of course...

Well the if they just us the 6498 it would be in the right place, but i think the movement would have to go on a diet as the VC movement looks a bit thinner, the actual movement lay out is very similar to the 6498 apart from the winding train, and the 6498 being 32mm should be about the right size to fit the 40mm size case.

Yeah I meant to say 6498 obviously - seconds at 6 (which shifts to 3 with the wacky layout). It would still be bigger, but close enough. The 1921 has a fair sized spacer in it at 40MM with the 4400 in it actually. The movement is a perfect fit in the new Patrimony Traditionelle handwind though. Still a bit smaller than the 6497 though Andy - the 4400 is about 12.5% smaller at 28MM.

And here is a pic of the original piece from 1921, originally patented and prototyped in 1919. The new homage is very similar - except being rose gold of course. Also of note is that the original crown was at "11" instead of "1" (of course I'm speaking of those positions on the case itself and not the dial as it is shifted) and the seconds were at 6 instead of 3 on the dial. The designers felt the watch more pleasing to read with the new configuration.

1921original.jpg

Yes it is. I don't know why, but I have a feeling they may do a 6498 clone of this for some reason. If it was an Asian one and they did it from scratch they could even cut the bridges to the same shape. That may be wishful thinking though I'm sure.

Oh, and I forgot to post the pic on my last post in this thread with the original from 1921. It is up now. The new homage is pretty much the same other than the layout differences...