When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying a gen sub

templeofbu

Hello all,

So, I recieved my first rep, a BK sub a couple of days ago, and now I've already decided to buy a gen sub. It's simply a stunning watch! I've searched the forum a bit, but couldn't find any advice on buying a used gen.

I've found this one:

http://ure.pr.dk/ure-detaljer.asp?id=297

A N-series (91 I suppose?) It's priced at what equals 3225 $. Any thoughts?

Kind regards

templeofbu

Hello all,

So, I recieved my first rep, a BK sub a couple of days ago, and now I've already decided to buy a gen sub. It's simply a stunning watch! I've searched the forum a bit, but couldn't find any advice on buying a used gen.

I've found this one:

http://ure.pr.dk/ure-detaljer.asp?id=297

A N-series (91 I suppose?) It's priced at what equals 3225 $. Any thoughts?

Kind regards

templeofbu

The Sub is the most copied watch in existence - I would certainly never purchase blind from the net - Go into an AD - spend your hard earned in there. - It's worth the reassurance.

The Sub is the most copied watch in existence - I would certainly never purchase blind from the net - Go into an AD - spend your hard earned in there. - It's worth the reassurance.

Excellent advice, but, you may luck out and find a eBay seller that is local to your area (narrow your eBay 'Search')...............open a dialogue with the seller, locate an AD OF YOUR CHOOSING and go down with the seller for an on the spot appraisal of the movement and serial number. It's perfectly reasonable if you are going to pay upwards of 2.5K on a used watch. If the seller balks at the notion? Pass. He has something to hide more than likely.

<edit> I see from your link, the seller is in Holland, are you Dutch?

Edited by Demsey

Absolutely no reason to shy away from the sales forums... especially now when the preowned prices have depreciated dramatically.

TZ SALES FORUM is full of Subs, for very good prices. At least you can keep checking them out, and if you find a good buyer with lots of references and allows PayPal protection... go for it!

Oooops, my bad, I'm always getting my Kronen mixed up with my Guilders. :p

In any event, if you can personally inspect the piece and meet the buyer, if practical, then all the risk can be avoided.............however, on By-Tor's advices the TZ web page is very 'above board' and has a good reputation. He's correct, quite a few nice Submariners there for sale, and quite a few Omega 'Moon Watches' I found that I'm keen on. Some excellent deals there too...............

Good luck, and please keep us posted..............

I've bought 5 gen Rolex so far and all from the same seller.

He is in the netherlands, very easy to deal with, an expert collector who does this as a hobby.

I would recommend everybody here to become a customer of Henrik.

He can meet in person or send insured.

Pls feel free to mention my name (but not RWG of course).

www.subgmt.com

You might think this sounds like an advertising, it is not.

But when a seller is so trustable and pationate, it deserve to be said in public.

Here is my 1999 sub.

It has everything including a receit from the AD in Amsterdam...

My16610Gen_800_01.jpg

My16610Gen_800_01B.jpg

Yeah, very, very, very important to really vet out the AD trail with Rolex stuff as they are just so brutal regarding service stuff. The controls they have in place are just mind boggling. I know a guy that bought a like new Sub with boxes and papers, etc. and figured all was well. Five years later he sends it in for service to a factory store and somehow they figured out that the bezel assembly or something wasn't a genuine Rolex part and of course Rolex didn't do the replacement. They refused to work on the watch and blacklisted the serial number as a known franken. My AD told me they literally have a franken (not what they call it, but to use our terminology) hotsheet and once a watch is blacklisted you can never get it serviced by Rolex or get parts for it again through the proper channels.

Because of this stuff I actually have a rule that I won't purchase a used Rolex at all if it is modern and available new. If it is older or otherwise vintage I would obviously. Not that I expect anyone to think anything less than that is going overboard. Yeah, it is and so be it. Again, for me it is a time management thing. I'm just not willing to go through what it takes to properly vet out a pre-owned Rolex and as such my rule is to buy new from now on. For me all that is a pain in the a*s so I would rather just buy a new watch. Plus I kind of like watches to be new when I get them anyway.

Anyway, I don't expect others would have so stringent a rule as me, but jsut know that this is not the only horror story out there. I agree with whoever posted earlier that you must choose an AD and get it appraised and signed off on by Rolex that everything is original and the serial isn't blacklisted.

Good deals can be found:

I netted my 16710 with all boxes and paperwork, in excellent condition, for $3500+. And that was before the economy took a dive.

ARTICLE

Why would I pay $6000 for the same watch to the AD... those bloodsucking bastards who charge 400EUR for a basic service? With the difference I can buy a Omega, Breitling or TAG. Even two.

If you don't want or care to ever have access to Rolex for all future service then BT is right and it wouldn't matter. But what I wrote was assuming you will get your services done in house and save all the receipts, etc. for resale or whatever. A lot of people are anal about that stuff. And some people like myself really like to buy things new. I'm like that about watches, cars, electronics, furniture, pretty much everything. I realize many aren't. But whatever type you are just know that if you do intend to have Rolex service your watch in the future vet it out good or then can and do dog people out for stupid sh*t.

On the other hand, if you don't intend to use Rolex for service or parts or whatever and just do your own thing, BT is 110% right. No point in doing any of it or ever buying a new watch. Find one and just make sure it is gen obviously on your own with a little dilligence. And in that case just try to get the best price you can knowing that you won't be using Rolex for anything anyway. Especially if you intend to keep the watch forever or a really long time.

There aren't many good frankens/scams of modern Rolexes. I mean the sapphire models. They're either gens of reps, basically.

And with the "eye" and expertise that I have developed in RWG, I can spot the visual problems (and of course all reps) immediately. So I'm in pretty safe waters (as a buyer) when I get to see actual photos of the watch for sale. The risk to get any aftermarket parts is minimal, really.

Vintages (plastic crystal models) are a different thing. There are lots of scary frankens out there... some of that stuff is so good that even our best experts can't be always sure. But then again many of these best experts (who build these scary frankens) are our members. :tu:

Absolutely no reason to shy away from the sales forums... especially now when the preowned prices have depreciated dramatically.

TZ SALES FORUM is full of Subs, for very good prices. At least you can keep checking them out, and if you find a good buyer with lots of references and allows PayPal protection... go for it!

Ditto & I would also recommend VRF since they allow (& encourage) reference checks of sellers, which TZ discourages.

There aren't many good frankens/scams of modern Rolexes. I mean the sapphire models. They're either gens of reps, basically.

And with the "eye" and expertise that I have developed in RWG, I can spot the visual problems (and of course all reps) immediately. So I'm in pretty safe waters (as a buyer) when I get to see actual photos of the watch for sale. The risk to get any aftermarket parts is minimal, really.

Vintages (plastic crystal models) are a different thing. There are lots of scary frankens out there... some of that stuff is so good that even our best experts can't be always sure. But then again many of these best experts (who build these scary frankens) are our members. :tu:

Oh no doubt BT. I am with you and would be pretty confident buying anything on my own. I know if I'm not sure about something, someone here will help me. I just wanted to point out how brutal the Rolex service network can be over the nittiest little details. To someone unsuspecting and new at this they can end up getting a real smackdown. They really are a bunch of secret handshake a*sholes over there in their ivory - er, I mean...green tower. :rolleyes: