When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vulcain Aviator Cricket GMT

morlock

logoorig.jpg

Vulcain is one of those not too familiar watch company, focus on developing watch with a common feature, the mechanical alarm. In 1947 Vulcain made the first practical wrist-alarm and named it Cricket, because the alarm sound is produced with a resonance-chamber like that of the cricket which he formed by fitting a two-part back to the watch-case. The inner part of the back, which serves to enclose the watch-case, is responsible for generating the sound. It is struck by the hammer and oscillates to produce the sound-waves. The Cricket has becone the foundation of all the Vulcain model since then, just like the 911 to Porsche.

The Cricket is also know under the nickname of "The President's Watch" because it was choseen byt the USA Presidents Truman, Eisenhower, Nixon and Johnson.

The Gen

The particular watch I am going to cover in this review is the Vulcain Aviator Cricket GMT. It is fitted with the mechanical hand-wound Cricket alarm movement with two barrels. It shows the hours, minutes, seconds and the alarm. Also has the 24-hour world-time feature which is operated by the crown at the 4 o

That's very interesting. I've never heard of Vulcain before. Which country did you buy this in...or was it ordered online?

I ordered online 2 years ago, then I did not know about RWG. I can't remember where I got it, but I just check at WatchEden and they carry this rep at US$ 108 (after online rebate). I am almost sure I paid more back then, so now it's a even better deal.

That's very interesting. I've never heard of Vulcain before. Which country did you buy this in...or was it ordered online?

The Vulcain Cricket was a VERY popular watch in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Many presidents wore them. I read an article where LBJ visited Switzerland and had an assistant buy up all of the he could find that day while there, another story in the same article was about a president giving a speech about buying American and taxing imported goods and his Cricket went off during the speech, essentially outing him as a hypocrite. I believe they were the first watch of their kind, if not the first then they were the first to catch on.

Great review, thanks! I've never heard of them before either, but I have to admit that's quite an intriguing watch, may have to pick one up.....

Actually, how much are we talking for a gen?

New or vintage ? Vintage you're talking between $500-1200 on the bay new $1800-3500 depending on features.

Nice rep, and nice review, congrats and thanks.

I have a history about those wonderfull machines.

In the 60`s my father had a disease and had to take some pills each 4 hours, so he bought a Vulcain Cricket.

When I was 15 years old I found his watch and he gave it to me.

It is a very good watch, works very well, and I love it.

5 years ago, I bought 2 used and broken poljot, with alarm too, and made one working well, they are very nice watches.

Those mechanical alarm watches are awesome.

That`s it.

Max