When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RE: Full Gold Rolex GMT II

smbc

Hello All,

I am in the process of buying a Full Gold GMT II from Joshua.

Can anyone give advise as to how I can ptrevent the gold from wearing? The description states it is "5 mil". Is this the type that will not wear?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

Shaun

By the way-can special oders be placed for higher quality gold rolex watches and if so whoo can provide?

There's not a whole lot you can do to prevent wear and tear on gold reps. Some say they have had a few years of decent appearance with pretty consistant usage...others depending on the climate and how hard you are on the reps have had them last for only a short period of time before they start looking funny.

I don't know how hard it is to replate a two tone...that might be interesting.

no, not yet. it is on the way here. hopefully will be here by the end of the week.

I liked the black dial, but I've been told that it is not that accurate (small thing though). so I bought the green dial (ceramic), and also I want something unique so green is fine.

the date is supposed to be green on the black dial, while on the rep, the date is black. that is all I think.

Edited by arrowax

I have had and still have many gold reps. The higher end ones like m masterpiece, bentley, submariner, presidents, all have held up very well. The cheaper $100 strap watches are the only ones I have seen fade even without wearing them. I do switch off my waches quite a bit, but I have an al gold Bvgari diagono quartz rep tha cost me 60 or about 9 years and it still looks brand new.

I have heard of people special ordering thicker gold plating but who knows if it is even worth the extra money. The plating should last a few years at least, but remember it is still a replica and if it starts to wear, buy a new one. You may want to rder an extra bracelet just in case, as the bracelets usually wear out first.

With gold plate, you have to be careful. Best thing is for occasional wear only, avoid sweating, certainly stay out of salt water. Best for light usage, like dress occasions. As I recall, Allergy Doc has had good results with his FG Rolex rep. Also, gold does tarnish, but polishing gold plate is also a no-no.

But I did just buy a FG Yacht-Master with the white dial and black markers- I just had to have some BLING!

Some of the dealers used to offer full gold reps, maybe in the $3-4K range. Paul, and Josh come to mind. But heck, that's kinda like Russian Roulette- spend that kinda money and have it get confiscated by Customs- ouch.

Another thought, buy the FG rep and maybe replace the bracelet when it shows the wear. I'm figuring the bracelet will take 95% of the wear and tear.

I'm happy with the color of the gold on my watch- but I don't have a gen to compare it to.

http://rxwtime.net/index.php?main_page=pro...;products_id=37

I went the cheap route because Andrew and Josh have the same watch with the purported ETA, but who can be certain these days. So far the asian 21j has be right on. Haven't opened up the case back yet to look at the movement. My preference for asian 21j's is the one from PTS Resources with the WO symbol under the balance wheel- same one that Ofrei and Cousins sell.

This sight is Andrew's economy site- run by a guy named Andy. Good service and they take credit cards which is easy. The watch is fairly accurate, IMO. It has the yellow datewheel, and the gens that I've looked at recently had the white datewheel. Other than that, everything else looks good to me.

I'm happy with the color of the gold on my watch- but I don't have a gen to compare it to.

http://rxwtime.net/index.php?main_page=pro...;products_id=37

I went the cheap route because Andrew and Josh have the same watch with the purported ETA, but who can be certain these days. So far the asian 21j has be right on. Haven't opened up the case back yet to look at the movement. My preference for asian 21j's is the one from PTS Resources with the WO symbol under the balance wheel- same one that Ofrei and Cousins sell.

This sight is Andrew's economy site- run by a guy named Andy. Good service and they take credit cards which is easy. The watch is fairly accurate, IMO. It has the yellow datewheel, and the gens that I've looked at recently had the white datewheel. Other than that, everything else looks good to me.

thanks, I bought the eta clone

i have a full YG GMT (non ceramic) i bought a few years ago. it has held up fairly well

but i don't use it very often. i think most of us collectors tend to avoid the full gold reps. they never really

are that realistic. you are much better off with a good 14kt. wrapped TT. i have some excellent TT rolex reps.

I wsh they would come out with a full gold watch that is fully wrapped in 14k like the center links of the higher end TT reps. This process with a low karat gold in the middle of a thin layer of 14k lasts forever. The color is much better than most plated models as well. I think this could be considered gold filled.