When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Schuhren or Steinhart?

Member X

Hello all :)

This is pretty much my first proper post so hopefully I won't screw up like a n00b too badly... :unsure: lol

Anyway, I've been looking at replicas and gens as I've had a 'significant' birthday and want to get a 'keeper' watch to last me until the next one (in about a decade's time... lol), hence I figured that going custom-made / gen would perhaps be more reliable than going replica.

I was pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a Schuhren Observer (from http://schuhren.de/English/) when I found a link to Steinhart!

Now I can't decide between the one above and (perhaps) the 44mm Nav B-Uhr II automatic as reviewed by dave_nyc... :(

In your collective vastly better educated opinion, can anyone offer me any guidance?! lol

Comparing the two...

Schuhren - positives

- Good write up on here

- Looks a quality product

- Good price

- Display case back

- Good size for my skinny wrists

Schuhren - negatives

- I believe it's an Asian 21600bph movement (therefore 'inferior'??)

- I'm not sure on the authentic strap and might need to buy another one or get him to provide another one

- I'd have to wind it myself lol

- Same price as the Steinhart, with its positives calling me...

Steinhart - positives

- swiss automatic ETA 2824-2

- same price as the Schuhren

Steinhart - negatives

- I really think it will be too big at 44mm (and no way to try it on beforehand)

- the case back is cheesy! (IMHO!)

- I prefer the face of the Schuhren

- I can't afford the Chrono version lol

I fully appreciate this is something that is entirely down to personal taste - I think I just want to be assured that going for the 'cheaper' movement when I could get a Swiss movement is sensible... :huh:

Many thanks in advance for any help you are able to offer :)

I'm not an expert by any means but the Schuhren looks like it is made from the same parts that can be bought from erkahund on eBay:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/erkahund

Avitt built his own from erkahund's parts ... his was a seconds at six, but the seconds at nine dials are available and you would just need a different movement.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Custom-Homebuilt...ger-t82029.html

erkahund also sells pre-built watches.

I guess what I am saying is I'd go for the Steinhart if the prices are the same.

Where are you? I'm in Hampshire and have just bought a STEINHART "Nav B-Uhr II 44 mm hand driven (Swiss ETA 6497) and I am very pleased with it. It does seem to sit large on the wrist, I very nearly bought the 47mm version but I am glad that I never now as I think it would look like an alarm clock on my wrist. Although I have to say that the Big Pilot sat pretty well when I tried it on in an AD.

Anyway, if you are anywhere near me, you are very welcome to come and try it on for size if you like.

Steinhart customer service was excellent as well and Gunther who I believe is either the director of the company or a director of the company dealt with me all the way through and added a free gift of additional watch changing tool and four springbars, although I did purchase two additional straps.

Hi,

here's my review of the Schuren observer.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Review-Pilot-Wat...amp;hl=schuhren

What I like with him is that you can choose all the parts.

I don't think that the Asian 6497 or 6498 is inferior to the 2824 : it comes serviced and this movement, even in reps, has a good reputation. Comes with a warranty.

And you can go Swiss if you absolutely want.

The caseback on the Steinhart is gorgeous (see, different people, different tastes)... but I prefer the small seconds and the diamond crown on the Schuren.

Count with an additionnal 45 EUR if you want to have a Tourby strap on ebay (similar or same as the Steinhart). But I am pretty sure Schuren can propose this option.

I purchased the Steinhart NavB Chrono II about a month ago and I love it! Super high quality watch. Gunter, the president of the company provided me with excellent customer service. He sent me an extra leather strap to go with the stainless steel one. You really can not go wrong with Steinhart.

Many thanks for your replies, all :)

I can now confidently say that I should buy a Steinhart, a Schuhren or an Erkahund LoL :D

chiefwiggum - thank you very much for the kind offer! B) I'm over in Essex though so a little far away, I fear :(

Pix - yours was the thread that made me interested in Schuhren! Building to your spec is what attracts me most, but having now looked at Erkahund (a new one to me so thank you for the links tomhorn) they look remarkably good value compared to the Schuhren and Steinhart!

I am slightly confused though - the Seagull 3620 movements (Unitas 6498 copies? with seconds at 6) that Erkahund sells separately are listed as being 18000bph for both normal and skeleton versions, but in the complete watches he sells they appear to be listed as 21600bph.

Do they have different versions of the 3620?

I'm seriously tempted by one of his pre-built watches as they are cheaper than the others (and, money being tight, I could then perhaps afford some straps or my first rep watch), and if he can build one up to my specifications...

Edited by Member X

I have bought three Schuhren and one Steinhart and it is Schuhren all the way. The build quality is outstanding and you can actually phone and speak to the owner/maker of the watches and order the watch as you want it. I was able to change the crown shape/size, the strap, the dial and the texture of the case. Nothing is to much trouble or effort and he sent me photos and emails throughout the process. He gives a full 2 year warranty and the watches come in a beautiful wooden box.

Andy (the owner) is a great guy to deal with and one conversation with him will convince you which watch to choose. I have a Steinhart big pilot and I can't fault it but for value and build preferences there is only one choice and it is Schuhren.

Rob