When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Sub Case on the Bay

stilty

There is a gen sub case I'm seriously interested in buying on Ebay. Just wondering if anyone is watching as well and has an intent to buy.

Case is in the Phillipines. Not going to post the item number, because if you are watching it, you will already know what I am talking about.

I have an idea of what i want to pay, and I know what the seller is expecting. If you are watching it and intend to bid, please contact me. I don't want to bid if your max bid is higher than what I am willing to throw down. And if my max bid is higher than yours, I would appreciate it if you don't drive up the price by bidding either. Although, i'm sure it will sell for way more than what it is worth.

How sure are you that it's gen? I was looking at an "replacement" case that looked gen and even had an early '70s serial number on it along with a gen crystal/tube/crown. I pressured the seller enough that they admitted that it was an aftermarket replacement case.

The 2892-A2 with my holder will fit no problem. Case is cut for a 3135, so everything will line up.

Another member has contacted me with what he intends to bid, so I will leave this one alone unless he changes his mind. He is willing to pay more than me, so I'm not going to drive up the price on him by bidding.

And yes, the bidding is already getting high for only being listed one day. I'm sure it will go for $700-$800, or higher. Definitely more than I want to pay. Factor in a complete bezel assembly and crystal, for another $400-$450 for SS, and at least $800 if you want 18K. Add in the cost of a 2892-A2, gen dial, gen date disc, gen crown, gen bracelet, and were pushing $2500+ for a franken. Better to just buy a complete gen. But I'm sure someone will snap it up.

Hey Stilty, what about that 16610 case from Sean at ETASwiss we saw awhile back? It was like $600. But with a gen dial, maybe a crown and tube, eta hands, and a bracelet, you could be there, oh, maybe a gen insert, also.

Also, with the soft market, I expect the price of an older 16610 or a 16800 to drop to between $2500-3000. I visited a dealer who had a D serial 16610 in mint condition for $3700 today.

Yeah, I thought of Sean's case, but he couldn't give me a clear answer as to what movement it is made for. He told me it fits both 3035 and 3135.

Well, we all know that they are completely different movements with different stem positions. He could not give me a straight answer, other than "both movement fit that case." Not the answer I'm looking for and I'm not willing to gamble on it and it is too expensive for a rep case.

I have a fully modded Eurotimez case now that I am hoping to find time to get to. drilled lugs, new tube. All gen parts with the exception of the mid case, case back, and tube. Will drop in a 2824-2 as the case is machined for a 2836-2. This way I can fit a gen date disc in there. Hopefully in the next few months I'll get to it. I've found myself very busy lately, and hardly have time to visit here, or even complete my date disc project. But I still make time to look for parts. ;)

So there is no Rolex holder for the 3135 when used inside the 16610? If it's a direct fit, then you're set! I hope you get it.

yup, it will just drop in like in our DJ frankies!

I'm already out of the running on this, as another member is willing to bid more than me, so I'm stepping back. Good luck to whoever wins!

I thought it was a 1680. If not, then just ignore the word 'vintage' - the point is the same.

Definitely NOT vintage. The case is only 3 years old. Factor in the cost of a bezel assembly, crystal, dial, crown, movement, and bracelet. One VERY expensive project. Please tell me the point?