When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portofino Chronograph

ammandel

You've seen this piece before, and when I say this piece - I mean in a number of ways :D

After a recent bit of business with a very valued friend of mine and yours where I managed to get my hands on this piece.

This was my 2nd arrival in a week (after my Seawolf!). I guess I'm catching it hard. This is the best dress watch I've seen for a long, long time and the stunning effect of this dial cannot truely be captured in pictures, but I've done by best to show some of the shades it can reflect in certain lights.

Still all taken with my phone (Nokia N82), heres the pictures:

3340346213_9697dfc3c2.jpg3340342661_fdd51eab11.jpg

3341879420_ceb6c61f88.jpg3341119507_4539c366e2.jpg

3342156478_9617a6de67.jpg3345663014_55baceda47.jpg

3342454836_71a0afb3f8.jpg3342456778_8ac606113e.jpg

Now ... time for serious stuff :yahoo:

Can I ask a few Q's ???

1: What is the exact model ? I cant find anything close to ur piccies

2: Is it as purchased or modded ?

3: Can I ask where I could get one :blush:

4: Is that double AR ?

It is a beautiful looking watch - I am a huge lover of the Portuguese but your pics have alerted me to the elegance of this watch now as well. Does it have any rep flaws that could be a concern ?

You are a lucky guy :3a:

1) IWC Portofino Chrono

2) Purschased - comes from the factory like that, all that it needs to be even more accurate is an ETA date/daywheel (

Thanks B for the reply (by the way I loved ur Porto review)

Can I ask a cupple more Q's ?

1: How does it compare sizewise with say the Spitfire Chrono that I just got from here http://www.rwg.cc/members/Sold-IWC-3717-02...html&hl=iwc

2: Does this rep have any major flaws ? ie the issues that scare me from the Guese ( I already own 2 duds :blowup: ?

I am becoming a huge fan of IWC

Cheers

Wow...that's a BEAUTIFUL piece! I like the reduced running seconds... I assume it's an A7750?? Wear it well!!!

Hey Shundi! Thanks and correct it is running a A7750, the running seconds seems to be running smoothly and fine with no jumpiness. The date wheel takes a couple of hours to switch over both the date and day but thats no biggie I guess, right?

Infact, I'd be interested to see what people think is the IDEAL way to set the date and time on this watch, if the hands should be at a certain place when the date change is initiated for example. I know it *shouldnt* be between 10pm and 2am :D

Now ... time for serious stuff :yahoo:

Can I ask a few Q's ???

It is a beautiful looking watch - I am a huge lover of the Portuguese but your pics have alerted me to the elegance of this watch now as well. Does it have any rep flaws that could be a concern ?

You are a lucky guy :3a:

Firstly, thanks! I agree this is a beautiful piece - if you wear this with shirts/suits as an evening piece it really, really is in its element. The slight blue from the double AR and the glint from the gold indices along with the slightly radial dial really makes this piece shine. I've worn this with a couple of suits already and you can catch people trying to get a glimpse under your cuff ;)

I realise the questions have already been answered, but I'll reiterate for you;

1. I believe this is a IWC Portofino Chronograph 7750 with the [champagne] dial. You are correct; the dealers pics do not do this piece justice at ALL. I saw the gen a long time ago before I saw the rep and really liked it. It was only Lanikais beautiful pictures of the same watch that did the dial colour justice and made me think the rep was worth getting.

2. It is purchased exactly in this state. :)

3. As said; most dealers do sell this watch.

4. It is indeed double AR, actually the AR on this one is stronger than on my Seawolf. Very serious AR. The only thing I would say is that people who have purchased the black dial version of the watch say the strong AR's blue tones on black were annoying so many have sent the crystal off to chief. But with the lighter coloured dial the blue only compliments the shine.

I love this watch, it was always the round lines with its pocket-watch like feel that attracted me to this piece and sets it apart from some of the other dress watches. As for rep flaws, well the dial was pretty spot on as is the fonts. The dial colour on my particular version is the closest to the gens of all the reps I believe, they make another couple of versions (one of which being White) where the gen is not sold white.

The caseback is nicely printed and has a brushed middle section.

The thing I have to get round to is investing in a new strap & clasp. While shown in the pics; you can see they are fine, nicely printed clasp and convincing strap pattern - but the feel of the strap is not so elegant. The "leather" feels cheap and a little plasticy and this certainly does not match the good replication quality of the watch head itself.

A gen strap & clasp would be absolutely perfect, if anyone knows where I could get one, let me know!

Thanks B for the reply (by the way I loved ur Porto review)

Can I ask a cupple more Q's ?

1: How does it compare sizewise with say the Spitfire Chrono that I just got from here http://www.rwg.cc/members/Sold-IWC-3717-02...html&hl=iwc

2: Does this rep have any major flaws ? ie the issues that scare me from the Guese ( I already own 2 duds :blowup: ?

I am becoming a huge fan of IWC

Cheers

I can't really comment on the size as I haven't owned either of them. The only real flaws are the date wheels and the chrono pushers being slightly too big. And yes it's the same watch that features in Lani's review. It's a really beautiful IWC this one!

ammandel, the watch is gorgeous.

snap yourself some ETA date wheels and you will have a 99%er. such an understated elegant, but with full of character type of watch!

wear it well.

Hey Ammandel, absolutely stunning!

Two quick questions if you don't mind..

a) How thick is your wrist?

b ) How thick is the watch?

I've been "lurking around the bush" for this one for a while but I'm afraid it is going to be a little too big for me.

The smaller Portofino without the chrono would be great for my wrist size (6.8" / 17.3cm) but apparently there are no reps of that one available..

Wow, topic revival! As per my picture above, I dont think it really wears much bigger than a sub! Give me a couple of mins and I'll take some more pictures for you.

As for the colour - maybe you should send Chris the pics I've taken of mine, give him a better idea of what you are looking for. My rep appears silver like the gen, but its difficult to choose from the pics on the dealers websites because I'm guessing they arent very accurate. The white looks too white!

Here ya go then.

My wrist size is a fairly small 6.5", I do have fairly bigger upper arms but I have no problem wearing this OR my Seawolf to be honest! Get one! You won't regret it.

Thickness:

3364726967_5a61d136de.jpg3364728303_3d58381088.jpg

ammandel regarding to what athan asked few posts higher and you wrote about it in your post - you told that it is a chapagne/cream dial right ?

so NOT this one - http://www.kingwatches.net/IWC-088.htm

but THIS one - http://www.kingwatches.net/IWC-089.htm

sorry for dumb questions but from dealer pictures it looks like total different watches (both of them) and none of them looks even close to those you posted.

Pls who was your dealer for that ?

Or can some dealer tell us what version currently matches with your pictures / and Gen ?

I'm afraid I didn't buy this watch directly so I cannot help any further!

I suggest you refer to Lanikais post about the same watch where he states that it is a CREAM dial, the dealers pictures look too different to the actual watch I seem to have, in the examples you posted - the white seems more similar but Lani states it is a Cream in his review.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/IWC-Portofino-Ch...-Cr-t70649.html

Sorry I'm unable to help you any further, my version seems to have a 'silvery' dial as per the gen (looks very much like this):

GEN:

41i+GwSePEL.jpg