When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my hand made pen project

fotoman

well, i got a new job, and i'm working 24/7 so haven't had to much time to post on the forum. however, my pen project has been going really well. i am very happy with all of them. There are little problems with each one, so you learn - and thats the point. i'm starting to make the gifts for my friends and co-workers, as well as figuring out how many pens are just cool ass for me :)

there are some really bad ass things. now, i couldn't find my lightbox lights, so these photos are not up to my usual standards, but you get the general idea - and yes, the blue one is hypnotic in person as well :)

82804857.th.jpg

80348502.th.jpg

43641440.th.jpg

19907443.th.jpg

72694163.th.jpg

84133785.th.jpg

98401098.th.jpg

They look very good, are these strictly ( can't think of right word ) biro tips or you doing fountain as well. ??

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

i can get fountain pen parts. - but for me, personally, i don't like them much.

what i'm doing for my family and friends and stuff, is - for the twist pens they take parker refills, so i'm putting in gel parker refills, they write awesome

the cap pen, which is the stripped one, comes with houser ink - which is pretty good, although roller ball and not gel (which i like the best, gel is similar to fountain in that the ink just kind of flows onto the page.

i doubt the construction is really any different.

These look great Pho. And you know you have sparked a new addiction for my hyperactive a*s. You will have to get some better pics as people just don't realize how nice these things are in person. Nothing like a fine handmade pen.

And you should do some high end fountain pens with solid 22k nibs and such. Alot of harcore collectors will only buy fountains. But I agree that for family and friends the Parker gel ball refills are best. Everyone loves a nice ball point.

I love that stabilized laminate in the 4th pic. Like you said it looks better because it is understated. Every composite laminate I have seen looks really busy other than this one.

These look great Pho. And you know you have sparked a new addiction for my hyperactive a*s. You will have to get some better pics as people just don't realize how nice these things are in person. Nothing like a fine handmade pen.

And you should do some high end fountain pens with solid 22k nibs and such. Alot of harcore collectors will only buy fountains. But I agree that for family and friends the Parker gel ball refills are best. Everyone loves a nice ball point.

I love that stabilized laminate in the 4th pic. Like you said it looks better because it is understated. Every composite laminate I have seen looks really busy other than this one.

one of my favorites - i have enough blanks to do another 15 i think - only going to very special people ;)

one of my favorites - i have enough blanks to do another 15 i think - only going to very special people ;)

oh wait, i think i counted wrong, if your talking about the one that has the line lengthwise. I only have 2 more blanks for that. its purple heart and didn't come out like i wanted, but i need to use some filler glue on the nextone :)

the other one with the big band wrapped around the pen is the one that is a favorite.

These look awesome pho... I'd love to get into this and don't know where to start... In searching all I could find was how to do it on a lathe and I don't really have one of those accessible to me lol... Do you use a lathe or do you do it with knives and stuff?

These look awesome pho... I'd love to get into this and don't know where to start... In searching all I could find was how to do it on a lathe and I don't really have one of those accessible to me lol... Do you use a lathe or do you do it with knives and stuff?

you need a lathe, drillpress, band saw, and some other random things like lots of sandpaper up to 15k a few special glues hand carving/ lathe tools polishes, old tshirts

lots of patience, \

and i took a 3 hr class that was helpful - there are also some videos on the internet that can help - alhough, i found alot of the internet video tips sucked, caused me more problems

Those are great! I wonder whatever happened to member 'King Jubilee'? He made beautiful pens and knives. Sold a few on the board if I do remember correctly.

Good luck with the hobby................

as a matter of fact i tried finding him like a year or so ago. I saw that he had recently been on one of the forums. i sent him some PMs about pens, he never got back to me.

who knows, maybe if i have enough time i might have a few extra :)

there are 3 pens i am concentrating on as my 'upper line" as opposed to the ones the secretaries are getting.

the acrylic blue with the pvd pieces - the 'cigar' 2 tone with indian rosewood - and the twist cap one with the big ribbon on it. of all of them i have done those are the ones i'd covet most.

like i said, still learning -and in order to get the good inks in all of them - "the cigar one is tricky" i'm still learning. luckily the kits and the wood aren't that expensive.

the acrylic is harder to work with, takes longer and is tuff on the tools, but the stay shiney and hypnotic forever. the wood ones are just cool no matter howyou

look at it.

i haven't spoken to the admins or anything abou selling them here, way o pre-mature, i still haven't gotten them good enough to give to my boss.

i also might see how it goes selling some through my local watch smith that helps me out he carries lots of odds and ends.

robbieg actually gave me some good advice about working with a local dealer -= of course he is also look at material costs at 10x what i'm doing :) but he buys watches at that rate too :)