When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Considering a gen green milgauss

JoJo35

I had some spare time this weekend, and took a trip to a local dealer to check out the window. Lo and behold, a brand new green milgauss was in the display window. So, with my curiosity piqued, I went inside and nonchalantly started asking some questions about some of the watches they had. I took a look at a white dial milgauss they had, and then asked if they had any other ones. They told me they had a black dialed one with the "special" green crystal.

After checking it out and finally walking away after leaving them my number, they called me a couple hours later. The price: "ten percent off list".

Wow, I wasn't expecting that! Not even a year ago, I remember seeing this watch selling for 14k!

So, now the bigger question. At that price, should I get it? I wonder if there's any chance as a long term investment; however, I'm not sure how many of these they made?

Any suggestions would certainly be welcome

Thx,

JJ

Not limited. Just the sapphire has a green hue.

The list price is not a big difference to that of the white sapphire actually.

Huh I was under the impression it was an LE...maybe 50th anni- the whole green sapphire thing... I'd personally pick one up if you like it.

I asked a local AD about them and he told me that they are not selling well at all. In his store all of the customers that had come in for one ended up purchasing one of the other designs. This is only one store in the northwest corner of the US but if that is common I would think you could negotiate a very nice discount on one. I personally think they are cool but would have a hard time spending that much money on one. Good Luck!

I had some spare time this weekend, and took a trip to a local dealer to check out the window. Lo and behold, a brand new green milgauss was in the display window. So, with my curiosity piqued, I went inside and nonchalantly started asking some questions about some of the watches they had. I took a look at a white dial milgauss they had, and then asked if they had any other ones. They told me they had a black dialed one with the "special" green crystal.

After checking it out and finally walking away after leaving them my number, they called me a couple hours later. The price: "ten percent off list".

Wow, I wasn't expecting that! Not even a year ago, I remember seeing this watch selling for 14k!

So, now the bigger question. At that price, should I get it? I wonder if there's any chance as a long term investment; however, I'm not sure how many of these they made?

Any suggestions would certainly be welcome

Thx,

JJ

Hi JJ,

I bought one last year. One of my favourites and you won't see many around the place. I bought mine at list which was Aus$8300.

If you go for it, enjoy wearing it.

I like this piece. I never thought much of it before I saw one in the wild, and the size, mix of polished and brushed parts and the green crystal really gave it a great presence. They're listed on El Bay for $7,000 - $9,000 USD so I'm not so sure if the AD is giving you as good a deal as you can get elsewhere.

I have no idea about prices, either new or second hand but I think it is pertinent to remember that some of the most collectable pieces were not popular when they were first issued. Look at the Daytona for example, it was unpopular because of the manual winding movement and now look how much they are worth. So, from a purely financial point of view I believe that rarity is the key. I don't know how many of these green milgauses exist but if they are rare then in years to come they will surely have their day.

All the best with the decision.

I have no idea about prices, either new or second hand but I think it is pertinent to remember that some of the most collectable pieces were not popular when they were first issued.

This is exactly the mindset for future collecting. It's a gamble as always...but the popular models will never increase in value EXPONENTIALLY. They will increase in value over time as Rolex has had a tradition of increasing prices every year by a lot...but as far as outstanding gains...this only happens on higher risk ventures...always.

The Comex Divers are another example...thought of as cheap freebies that were traded in bars for booze are now worth over a $100K in some cases.

6263's, 1655s, etc...the lesser known models which at the time were less popular than things like the DJs or Presidents are now worth a lot because of uniqueness, collectibility and rarity.

That being said, this is no guarantee that these will be worth a lot in the future...but still, I think it's a very interesting watch that would do GREAT with a The Zigmeister custom lume job to get the colour and glow like the gen.