When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ulitmate Rolex GMT II Ceramic LRG Pics, Thoughts and Comments

jimbean

Greetings,

Well after a week or two of browsing the forums, I finally caved and picked up an Ultimate GMT II Full Ceramic. Below are the pics and my comments. Feel free to let me know what you think of it and how it compares to the Gen and to other GMT IIc versions. Oh and thanks to all you fellow rep lovers for posting and giving me the knowledge base for a newbie like me. Enjoy and please critique my rep and comment.

Please remember that I'm new to this hobby so don't take my word or opinions as you would some from some of the other pros on this board.

Bezel, Dial, Hands, Cyclops, etc

I think the face of the watch is very nice. It has a super smooth glass like appearance that really makes this watch a looker. It's constantly catching and reflecting light and looks really great on the wrist. I went to the AD to check out the Gen and I feel that the dial and hands are spot on via the naked eye. The cyclops on mine seems to do its job well and looks very similar to the Gen I checked out. The bezel is very glass like and very shiny. But I feel it does lack the depth of gloss that the Gen possesses. The numbers on the bezel are very good and the color seems accurate but it does not have the same subtle platinum shimmer that's on the Gen. The numbers also seem just deep enough to accurately replicate the Gen. The rotation on the bezel works well, is accurate and snaps into the correct position with each of the 24 clicks. But again, it's not the Gen and does not have the same smooth clicking action from the Gen. Seems like a little oil would help. Anyone know how to do this? Oh and it does have a little play when clicking it into position.

3367160890_80c7eb5c41_b.jpg

Please note that the date is out of focus because I was shooting with low light and had to use an aperture of 2.8 causing the narrow field of vision. Rest assured it's in focus via the naked eye.

3366337599_8884cb0977_b.jpg

The Side of the Watch, Crown, Bezel, etc

Looks good to me. But what do I know. The bezel seems to be the correct thickness and the groves look Gen to me. The crown threads nicely and has the rubber o-ring. The CG's also look good. It looks nice on my wrist, that's all I know.

3367162688_d7f05fb9b6_b.jpg

The Other Side

All looks good here.

3366338101_b4c1915a0b_b.jpg

The Clasp

The clasp looks really sick. It feels secure, tight and looks great.

3367163294_cf350c4816_b.jpg

The Back Case

It's clean and appears well made. From what I remember, it looks very Gen.

3366342151_2551b2ce4b_b.jpg

The Engraving

This is where the wheels fall of the wagon on my rep. The engraving is accurate but is no where near deep enough. Looking at is straight on, you can barely see it. For me, it's a dead give away. Also, the metal was not very well made and had visible pitting and not very clean. This is probably the worst part of the watch. Remedy? Don't let anyone see that part smile.gif

3366340197_51835ff3d9_b.jpg

Viewed from an angle, the engraving is more visible.

3367164636_f3790b5347_b.jpg

The Movement and Feel of the Rep

The movement has been working great so far. It keeps very accurate time and the adjustable GMT hand has worked flawlessly. The sweeping second hand is very smooth and to me looks like the Gen. Using the Gen as a point of reference, my rep is very close in feel. The only differences I found were that it was a bit lighter, the band was noticeably looser, but other than that it feels great!

The Olive Oil Bath

Out of the box I was very happy with the band. But after handling the Gen, I realized it needed to be oil to get that Gen feel. So I dipped it in olive oil for about 15 mins and then wiped it down. Not only did it feel a whole lot better, but it actually cleaned it up and removed a lot of dirt and grime. It also gave it a nice shine!

In a bowl of Olive Oil

3367397030_9c419aa3c7_b.jpg

During the Wipe Down (Note the grime on the paper towel)

3366575297_908fd1f2fd_b.jpg

3366574529_34f08c7333_b.jpg

Thanks for looking and please comment on the accuracy of my particular copy and ask any questions.

Also, does anyone have any other suggested hacks or mods? I'm particularly interested in mods for the engraving, tightening the feel of the band, and bezel number mods.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jimbean

Yes it's a good choice, I got one on my wrist now as well, For how reps have come along over the last few years, this really punches above it's weight as an 'out of the box' watch and ok its the ICHS model, but for the few hundred $$ it costs, it really cannot be beaten.

Wear it well

Peace

:)

This is a fantastic watch I purchased back on July from PT and no problems there IHS by the way. I can not believe that the factory has not fixed the bracelet flaw after all these months. I fixed my using a Noobmariner bracelet swapped the end links and polished to a mirror finish.

Wear it well.

Cheers

The Engraving

This is where the wheels fall of the wagon on my rep. The engraving is accurate but is no where near deep enough. Looking at is straight on, you can barely see it. For me, it's a dead give away. Also, the metal was not very well made and had visible pitting and not very clean. This is probably the worst part of the watch. Remedy? Don't let anyone see that part smile.gif

3366340197_51835ff3d9_b.jpg

No, I can't agree. This is the only somehow remediable flaw on the GMT IIc:

rolclasp.jpg

How did you remedy the weak engraving?

Thanks,

Mark

With black modeller's enamel, enamel solvent and an ear cotton tip.

Spread a thin enamel layer on the engravings, then gently wipe it with the soaked cotton tip. Don't exert any pressure; in this way, the enamel won't be removed from the grooves