When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cheap reps with same HQ chassis

docdoc

Usually, in these situations, the "lite" versions have the following lessor items:

Asian movement

non-saphire or differing crystal

AR could be none or single -vs- in some cases double

But the case is most likely the same, yes. YMMV

-Ronin

it depends on the watch and the model,

for example, the dealer u reffered to in ur link, has 2 versions of "TAG Calibre 17":

the first one (cheaper version) has quartz movement, this is it, and the description states that it has "Structure As 7750-High Quality", which is this one

notice the differences:

- the quartz version has a solid back, unlike the 7750 version that has the 2 saphire crystals and a visible movement and rotor

- the clasps are different, notice the quartz version, looks very cheap

- the case of the 7750 version is thicker (18mm) due to the arrangements made inside for this new model of chrono, which is fully functional

- the quartz version has mineral crystal glass with 1 AR coating, the 7750 uses saphire crystal and double AR (i think)

but like i said, some models "might have" same chassis, u just have to compare them urself

That's too bad, because almost every quartz watch seems to have mineral crystal and if you wanna get a watch with an asian unitas 6497 movement all of those also seems to have mineral crystal.

This AP ROO quartz should have mineral crystal and it seems to be pretty scratch durable if you look at the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVh3WiRqLNE...feature=related

IMHO there are not 100% same chassis, in addition of the aforementioned common difference, the chassis itself is not the same, the difference in price sometimes is just to big just due the movt change.

Again this is just my opinion, not hard evidence to support it. ^_^

I found a Tag Carerra wich I liked the quartz version of. Joshua has it on special for 128$ with shipping. If you compare it to the 278$ 7750 you will see sligh differences. I bought the quartz one. It even has shappire crystal *not mineral* The open backplate on the 7750 I dont need, im going to wear it back side down anyway :p

The quartz one also has incorrect subdials at 6 and 9.

7750 Movement

post-21269-1237742946_thumb.jpg post-21269-1237742951_thumb.jpg post-21269-1237742955_thumb.jpg

Quartz

post-21269-1237742963_thumb.jpg post-21269-1237742968_thumb.jpg post-21269-1237742974_thumb.jpg

Edited by ASCIWhite

I have a similar steel quartz Carrera with "40 Years of Legend 1964 - 2004/Jack Heuer Limited Edition" along with Jack Heuer's autograph on the caseback. It has a Miyota/Citizen MFS10 working chronograph movement (mvt cost is about $30). The solid caseback is numbered 1129/1964 (maybe they all are) and I would guess these watches will be basically trouble free for a few years...as long as the crown, pushers, and bracelet hold up. The case and bracelet quality seems to be pretty good and the brown dial and bezel look fine with crisp letters and numbers. It has a claimed to be sapphire domed crystal but I bet it is MG. The bracelet end links are stamped sheet metal, not SEL like the one in your pictures.

It came with inner and outer boxes from a local watch trader who knew nothing about it but the price. :p

Here is what it looks like except mine has "chronometer" on the dial where this one has "automatic".

Black dial with bracelet...

http://www.thewatchery.com/watch.asp?Luxur...CJ&src=AACJ

Brown dial with strap...

http://www.thewatchery.com/watch.asp?Luxur...013.FC6206&