When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Sub & DJ Models

freddy333

All I have are the 2 pics (no details), but these are being introduced at Baselworld 2009 & I have no idea if these are replacements or additions to Rolex's current product line.

New TT Sub

2009RolexTTSub.jpg

New TT DJ

2009DATEJUST-II-ROLESOR-2.jpg

Since I am not into wearing yellow gold &, with 2 notable exceptions (GMTIIC & SS Daytona), I have not generally been a big fan of Rolex's modern watch line for some time, I am probably not the best to critique these new models except to say that I think Rolex is turning their marketing sights toward the far east & away from the US & the west. I think it is safe to say that most of the early reactions have ranged from subdued horror to astonishment (both good & bad) at 1st sight of these new 'beauties'. However, as with most new Rolex releases (I have been around long enough to have seen this cycle repeat itself more than a few times), once the initial (& expected) nah-saying subsides, the new-ness begins to fade & small numbers of celebrities & style leaders begin buying these, I suspect their popularity will be on par with Anniversary Subs & modern Milgausses.

i was talking to my regional manager about the new models. he predicted the TT Sub. It looks stunning, I believe they should make a blue dial as well because it was that dial that MADE TT Subs.

This means with 95% certainty that next year we shall see the new SS Sub which would end the current SS Sub range.

I think the DJ will just get new dials as usual. some will look fine, and some uber-[censored].

Asim

I'm not sure if it's just the quality of the photos, but the grain on the brushed parts of the watches is really noticeable... I'm not too sure I like it... Even though I'm not one for wearing gold or TT, I like how they both look overall, but would prefer to see a different finish to the brushed sections...

Thanks for sharing the pics :)

The DJII (no comment)

DJII.jpg

The really funny thing about that one, is that if I didn't know the source, I'd think it was a rep :lol: Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that bracelet is doing any favors for the fluted bezel, and the dial just looks so... plain/flat... Not what I'd expect of a gen DJ :lol: Oh well, it'd be boring if everyone liked the same things :)

Hey TJ, well picked up on about the brushed visibility. I also noticed that the brushed lugs on the SS case are no longer diagonal (as they are at the moment) strokes but vertical!

You're quite right, the case brushing is indeed not diagonal... I'm not sure if it's the lighting, the amount of brushing on the case, or if it could even be an attribute of the metal itself, but the SS looks just a shade too dark, compared to previous watches... :g:

Yeah, they are dropping 904L and going back to 316 with its 'much darker appearance' apparently...

..of course, I'm just kidding! haha

edit: Just to add, the appearance itself may look different in certain aspects due to the fact that the pictures in *this* format are usually computerised detailed models with simulated lighting. However, the brushing in previous pictures has been done as per the actual watches appearance (i.e. diagonal on the lugs). So it seems they have intentionally made the lugs appear vertically brushed.

I'm not even sure if I like the look.. particularly since in GENS the brushed finish of the lugs is very noticable.

Yeah, they are dropping 904L and going back to 316 with its 'much darker appearance' apparently...

..of course, I'm just kidding! haha

edit: Just to add, the appearance itself may look different in certain aspects due to the fact that the pictures in *this* format are usually computerised detailed models with simulated lighting. However, the brushing in previous pictures has been done as per the actual watches appearance (i.e. diagonal on the lugs). So it seems they have intentionally made the lugs appear vertically brushed.

I'm not even sure if I like the look.. particularly since in GENS the brushed finish of the lugs is very noticable.

I know what you mean, I'm not particularly liking the look myself, but I think it's just the color/finish of the SS which is bothering me... As you say, could be computerized rather than actual detail though... Only time will tell B)

• 3 months later...
I'm not sure if it's just the quality of the photos, but the grain on the brushed parts of the watches is really noticeable... I'm not too sure I like it... Even though I'm not one for wearing gold or TT, I like how they both look overall, but would prefer to see a different finish to the brushed sections...

Thanks for sharing the pics :)

TeeJay, I completely agree... It looks like it was sanded like CRAZY. I don't think I like that too much...

Jeremiah

Don't like the FAT crown guards on the sub, the brushing could just be the picture...

I've been in Basel, I've seen those watches and both look great.

The TT sub will be available both in black and blue (same blue like on the white gold sub 116619LB).

DSC_9656.jpg

The Datejust II's size is questionable IMO. Actually it is just a Milgauss with date function and so far only available with white or yellow gold bezel and Oyster bracelet. The size makes it a lot less elegant than the 36mm classic Datejust which fortunately will remain in the collection. The Datejust II is not the dressy sporty all day and every occasion watch that the 36mm Datejust used to be. But it will be a great watch for those who miss a date function on the Milgauss.

DSC_9712.jpg

EDIT: The subs have a glide lock clasp similar to that on the DeepSea Sea-Dweller, but not the big foldable divers extension of the DSSD.

I think the New Submariner looks great! ;)

I feel the crown guards actually accentuate the watch....

I think this will be a winner...

MM

Agreed!

As Freddy said, once the astonishment is gone, it's a natural move to like the new one.

In the end, it's a true Sub and they did not kill the original design.

It's more like a natural evolution of the 16610 (fater, biger, ...)

Of course, I'm not into Yellow Gold either...so I'll wait to se a SS in the flesh to make a final opinion

In the end, it's a true Sub and they did not kill the original design.

I think the new Subs are too blingy to be called a 'true Sub'. However, accepting that they are now more jewelry than tool, I still like the blue ceramic Sub. I just cannot imagine any serious diver going into the depths with a chunk of blue bling strapped to his wrist. Unless, of course, his wet suit, mask & fins were coordinated to match his watch. ;)

Just plain fugly -

The Sub looks like a truck hubcap - no grace, no sweep - it is as if Homer Simpson took over the design team.

And I am afraid I could never wear any watch with the brand name written THIRTEEN freaking times on the front - and for what? The "rolexsrolexrolexrolexrolex" rehaut was in production in Shanghai within about a minute of it's introduction as a "security" feature...

Perhaps this is a transitional period for Rolex, with entire patent descriptions written on the new DSSD, a veritable Noah's Ark of happy animal prints and "garanimal" watches, and a rainbow of fruit flavors in bezels and crystals and hand colors.

I'll stick to the classics.

I just cannot imagine any serious diver going into the depths with a chuck of blue bling strapped to his wrist. Unless, of course, his wet suit, mask & fins were coordinated to match his watch. ;)

:rofl:

Well, my GF is a diver and gone to mediteranee for 5 days.

I proposed her to wear my 16610 to dive and she told me "I can't read it anyway"...or "I trust the manometer of my bottle more than a watch"!

It seems that nobody want to wear my watches :cry2: