When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I need a Vintage Daytona expert.

wan

Hello, if you go to this link-

(http://etayahonpo.net/nph-shop.cgi?class=2&order=&keyword=&pic_only=&FF=260&price_sort=)

And then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Daytona at the bottom left, "its the one that sells for Y3,000,000" ref#6241 ss Its the most expensive watch they sell i believe.

Can someone tell me why this watch is so much $? I understand that it looks VERY nice and the movement looks like the real thing minus a couple of very minor things but Y3,000,000 is like $25,000 or something.

Can someone please explain to me if this 6241 cosmograph rep is as good as it can possibly get or waht? How close to gen is this rep? Thanks, Wan

My browser could not make the link, however, I have a genuine 6263 from '72 that probably isn't even worth that. Either this is a typographical error or 'replica' is being re-termed.

'freddy333' is your best bet for infos., others will chime in shortly I would imagine.

Freddy is the expert, but I'll take a stab at it.

The watch is close to gen, but there are a few things which don't look right. The end pieces should be 271's, but bracelet is fine. The balance bridge says ROW on it for Rolex Werks- it's OK, but the bridge itself with the pointer is wrong- it either came off an earlier watch (6234, 6034), or was engraved recently and added to the watch. The movement should be a 722 for a 6241- not a 72B- the 72B was used on earlier Rolex chronos- up until the 6238, 6239, and 6240. But Rolex wasn't always consistent- it could have slipped in there or this watch is a franken- put together from parts- or more likely repaired with scavanged parts. It's getting harder and harder to keep old V72's going since parts are no longer made.

Is it worth $25-30K? Maybe in a retail setting. I would think it's still worth $15-20K, but that's just my opinion.

It looks like a very nice franken. Is it worth the advertised price? Not to me. Especially, when the real thing can be purchased (from a reputable gen seller) for about the same price or a few thousand more. Now, at $2k-$4k...........or even $5k (since he has a gen 7835/357 bracelet fitted), probably. All that said, based on the A7750-powered 6239 I got from him (which I had to rebuild because it was such a mess), I would not expect that the watch you receive will look as good as the watch in his pics.

The watch on right is the same Daytona PN as mine, the same dial with the same closed "6" and "9", without "T SWISS T" ... :o, same movement ...

Here is a gen one, next mine and No. 3 the Franken ....

echt.jpg

bild3z.jpg

daytona21015f.jpg

The cheaper ones have better dials, nearly authentic :(

350000 jap. Yen are about 2850 Euro

The 1 thing here that IS interesting is that Honpo's dial got the font right on the 3. The only problem is that they got the right 3 on the wrong totalizer (only the minute totalizer should have the long-tailed 3)

movethe3.jpg

Another step forward, another step back. Can you say 'stabbing in the dark'?

If the price of the watch is 2850 euro, which is right around $3800US, that's not a bad price. Sure freddy could build it for less, but Honpo puts some nice bridges in there which run up the cost.

But that v72 looks kinda dirty to me- lok at the castle wheel- filty! But price is better than Phongs.

The 1 thing here that IS interesting is that Honpo's dial got the font right on the 3. The only problem is that they got the right 3 on the wrong totalizer (only the minute totalizer should have the long-tailed 3)

movethe3.jpg

Another step forward, another step back. Can you say 'stabbing in the dark'?

One thing i noticed from the gen pic to rep is the sub-dial hands on the gen look all silver in color and the rep sub-dial hands are black and silver. This could be a minor thing, i just thought i would share what i noticed. Thank you all for your input. So Fredy, do you have a way to deal with Honpo? If so, please PM me or if you can build and sell something like this please PM me also. Thanks again, Wan

One thing i noticed from the gen pic to rep is the sub-dial hands on the gen look all silver in color and the rep sub-dial hands are black and silver. This could be a minor thing, i just thought i would share what i noticed. Thank you all for your input. So Fredy, do you have a way to deal with Honpo? If so, please PM me or if you can build and sell something like this please PM me also. Thanks again, Wan

on black subdials they have to be white, not silver (just like on the pic), on white subdials black ...

The subdial hands are always a contrasting color relative to the subdial background color. On black subdials, the hands are painted white or silver. On white subdials (there are no silver subdials on vintage Daytonas), the hands are painted black or left unpainted, which is a dark gray color.

Unless you know someone who knows him, the only way to purchase a watch from Honpo is to contact him through his website. To the best of my knowledge, Honpo only deals with Asian customers (mostly Japanese). My only Honpo watch (which, contrary to his claims of superior Japanese quality, was in poor condition when I received it) was attained through an Asian friend who dealt with Honpo directly (& my friend's watch had the same problems mine had, so QC problems seem to be more of a pattern than a fluke with Honpo's watches). I had attempted to purchase a watch from Honpo myself a year or 2 before that, but he stopped responding to my emails after his 2nd email.