When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Laser Eye Surgery

Chronus

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting it myself. Top clinic; most NBA-ers and athletes get it done at this place. It's called the Bochner Eye Institute. Check it out. Expensive - but it's your eyes, right?

I'm in the UK, so it has to be over here, or I'd check that one out for sure.

• 3 months later...

Just an update for anyone that cares...

A little over a month ago I had the Epi-Lasek procedure done to one eye - this is the method recommend for professional sportsmen as no surgical cuts are made. This is an older procedure than Lasik (which involves cutting of a flap that may not "fuse"/heal for over a year [if ever] according to some) and has been around for 20 plus years.

This method involves softening the top layers of cells on the eye with alcohol - the epithelium. This is then moved to the side and the laser reshapes the cornea as with Lasik (after the flap is moved). The epithelium is then placed back and it recovers over time (there is no direct blood supply to this, which is why it takes longer). The downside with this method is that it takes a lot longer in terms of recovery (Lasik is 2-3 days for final results in most cases). There is also pain, although for me it only lasted for the evening that I had the procedure done, and it felt like having a contact lens stinging. They did put in a "bandage" contact lens to keep the epithelium in place, so maybe it ws just this lens causing discomfort.

The eye was blurry for the first 5-7 days and then i returned to work. Now I can use the computer with no problem, but the final results have not been reached yet. I can go swimming now, but no contact sports for the first 3 months, and I have to wear sunglasses for at least a year if I am in sunlight that would cause sunburn, but most people wear sunglasses in that weather in any case. Problem was finding a genuine pair of sunglasses with titanium frames - I settled on a pair of Serengettis which are great and lightweight. Most sunglasses that claim to be titanium may have nickel mixed in at some steel points or even worse, use a metal called "Monel" which is a nickel alloy - the cause of allergic reactions for me.

I go back for a check up again next month, but the last one I had, I could read 2 more lines down the chart. Right now I don't have a contact lens in my other eye, the monitor is set back against the wall, and I have no problem reading this.

One thing I've noticed is that I can't always see up close with the corrected eye, or make out faded-lume watches in the dark, but it is fine with my untreated eye. Perhaps the focal length has changed, to cause this, but it really is holding it up right in front of my eye - I have to move it farther back to get a distinct image, but it still isn't sharp in the dark.

Once I'm happy with the definitive results in a month or few, I'll decide on going ahead with the other, but it is great not to have to wear glasses! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks to everyone who has given me advice and listened to me trying to decide on going ahead with it.

If I hadn't gone ahead, I'd probably always wonder and want to, so perhaps it was inevitable.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Glad you're doing fine man! I had lasik done with a tracking laser system called 'ladar' which tracks the microscopic movements of my eyes while the procedure is being done. My doctor invented this partciular machine and is/was an FDA tester for various procedures. I ended up with 20/15 in both eyes within a week of having it done (3 months ago) and now they seem to have settled in at 20/15. I worried about the long term effects for years, but finally decided to go ahead and say WTF, you know? I couldn't be happier. No more fumbling for glasses on the night table to go [censored] in the middle of the night, no worrying about getting saltwater in my eyes while snorkeling or scuba diving. It's amazing and something that nobody with good eyes can really understand. You won't regret making the decision to have it done, scout's honor ;)

Hi Chronus, Ive had my eyes lasered in 1997, ten years ago. My eyesight was L-7.5 R-8.

I used to do a lot of boxing/ martial arts/ wrestling but couldnt do my amateurs because of my medical.

At the time i was also working the doors and was having a fight every week.

The final desicion to have it done because each time i was losing a contact lense or having my glasses broke.

My eyesight is 20:20 still after ten years.

For a few weeks of agony at the time it has been life changing, quite often you forget how bad it used to be though.

Mine was Lasik, theres newer ones now where you can have all done in a day apparently.

Hope this helps some

I've had my both eyses lasered in januari 2006 in a private clinic in Rotterdam (Netherlands).

L - 3,75 r -4.00

It was a lasik procedure. Results: both eyes 0.0

left eye : eaglevison 150% best result possible

right eye: 100 %

The operation takes 5 minutes and went with no problem at all.

Gerco

Gerco, can you tell the name of this clinic, and maybe their website?

Thanks again for all the info.

I have heard professional sportsmen (eg. footballers) are not supposed to have this procedure done. I'm wondering why, as I play 5-a-side football up to 3 times a week.

Frank Bruno in Russia as he couldnt pass his pro medical.

Unfortunately it didnt turn him into a better boxer.

The twent year side effects willprob show that people have lost some of their vision. What then, Easy you just have it re-done, youve had twenty years and its paid for itself.

Ive been punched loads of times since then,both in and out of the ring, and mines still fine after ten years, although they did tell me when i start hitting middle age my eyesight may detiriorate as normal.

Funny thing, all the opticians try and talk you out of it as they know they will be losing business and they all say about the twenty year effect being untested.

I think its better to have it than go with glasses/ contacts for twenty years, a big factor though is how much you need glasses.

For me because i work a lot of nights when im overtired my eyesight does go a bit fuzzy. Oh and the sunlight is worse. Just nother excuse to wear raybans though

I haven't read the whole thread... but my father is surgeon, so i get some informations here and there. There are 2 methods LASIK & LASEK. LasEk is done on the surface of the cornea - lasIk is done deeper in the cornea,

is therefore a more invasive method. Lasek a more gentle method and has less risk that the cornea deplaces after the surgery. After lasik it can happen even after a year (but doesn't has to). ALso there more sideeffect with

lasIK as it goes deeper into eye (many reports in newer times about complications). better methods are LASEK or EPI-LASIK - google it and please consider - it's your eyes - so unless you can wear glasses or contactlenses

without bigger problems - don't choose surgery.

Hey Chronus!

I have Lasik ads running here all the time at the top of RWG - I think your quest brought some dividends!! :victory:

How are the eyes now - did you get the other one done? And did this summer pay any dividends with the fairer sex? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm ok... just one line away from 20/20 vision. i have another check-up in November and then decide on my other eye ;)

And no luck with the opposite sex :( Greek girls are tough... and shyness does not help at all.

And I'm not prepared to go broke to get with a Russian girl :o

I haven't read the whole thread... but my father is surgeon, so i get some informations here and there. There are 2 methods LASIK & LASEK. LasEk is done on the surface of the cornea - lasIk is done deeper in the cornea,

is therefore a more invasive method. Lasek a more gentle method and has less risk that the cornea deplaces after the surgery. After lasik it can happen even after a year (but doesn't has to). ALso there more sideeffect with

lasIK as it goes deeper into eye (many reports in newer times about complications). better methods are LASEK or EPI-LASIK - google it and please consider - it's your eyes - so unless you can wear glasses or contactlenses

without bigger problems - don't choose surgery.

I chose Epi-Lasek ;)

• 2 months later...
I chose Epi-Lasek ;)

My wife and I were both -6 in each eye, and we both had LASIK in Abu Dhabi in 1997 with a doctor Allah (!) doing thr surgery. It was a piece of cake, took a couple of hours , mainly waiting around, and we could both see to read street signs on the way home. My wife had no complications at all, and I had an occasional ghost image, basically a faint double vision when I'm tired. I was so happy with mine that within a couple of months most of my friends had had it done too.

My daughter is -9 R and -9.5 L and is now 19. We will be looking to see what mechanism is best for her, but I suspect that it will be implants. I do love technology.

It was good to read this thread, nothing new to me, but nice to hear how other people are doing.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread.

I had toyed with the idea at times but this thread has convinced me to NOT have it done. A lot of people with complications (minor - but complications) and no long term trials yet. I need my vision 100% (I am a painter) and I just can't risk it. I was most persuaded by the sober advice in these two posts:

I am an MD and will just advise you that every medical procedure has a risk/reward ratio that must be carefully examined befor making your decision. Certainly, lasik procedures have become common and simple as the technology has improved. I'm certain you can find a favorably referenced outfit to do your surgery and there are many that will testify to wonderful results, but do be aware what you are doing is an elective procedure. There are many in my profession, myself included, who believe ANY surgical intervention should be necessary and only after non invasive procedures have been exhausted. What you are considering, and the way you are framing it in terms of saving money long term on glasses, contact lenses, drs appointments etc, puts this procedure in the catagory of the cosmetic and not the medical. What are the chances of there being a problem? Very, very small. What are the chances of you having vision complications from the surgery if you do not have the surgery? Zero. What are the chances of that very small probably of problems affecting your vision for the rest of your life? Pretty high. That's your dice roll.

I've entertained the lasik procedure but have decided against it. As someone going into radiology, my eyesight is paramount. First of all, the complication rate is still substantial even for fellowship-trained physicians performing the procedure. I haven't researched the most recent numbers, but even a complication rate of 1:1000 is enough to dissuade me from the procedure because my eyesight is too important. The issues with glare and dry eyes may be prominent and can take months to years to resolve...if at all. Furthermore, the procedure is irreversible. There is no undo button to restore your pre-op state of vision. In addition, the new "implantation" procedures to correct vision are in the near future and these promise the benefit of reversibility. That is, if your vision changes or if you are unsatisfied, you can theoretically return your vision to a prior state or revise your procedure.

Many of my physician colleagues have undergone the procedure with varied results. The major problems are as outlined above and include dry eyes and glare. One had a serious complication of a corneal flap which is still giving him issues. These were done by fellowship-trained ophthalmologists from major academic institutions in the US. Other providers may not have the training to deal with these complications.

In summary, lasik is a good option if you require vision correction and the risk/benefit analysis is favorable for you particular situation. Complications are not overwhelmingly common but they do occur. The cost/benefit is not worthwhile for me but it may be for others. My best advice is to research your surgeon carefully because it may all be up to him/her in the end. Caveat Emptor.

And by this from the FDA:

Even the best screened patients under the care of most skilled surgeons can experience serious complications.

* During surgery. Malfunction of a device or other error, such as cutting a flap of cornea through and through instead of making a hinge during LASIK surgery, may lead to discontinuation of the procedure or irreversible damage to the eye.

In other words, no matter HOW good the surgeon, equipment failure during the procedure can have disastrous results.

It's been over a year for me and it's fine. Still haven't done the 2nd eye though! Maybe this xmas...

Anyway I had LASEK and not LASIK.

The one I had does not involve any surgical cuts. I think technically, it does not count as surgery because of that.

Anyway surgical procedure has a risk though.... that will never go to zero.

There is a risk of a bird sh!tting on your head, but most people walk around without umbrellas.

It's a personal decision though. If you aren't comfortable, don't do it!

I knew for myself that I would keep pondering it until my eyesight was "normal".

It's been over a year for me and it's fine. Still haven't done the 2nd eye though! Maybe this xmas...

Anyway I had LASEK and not LASIK.

The one I had does not involve any surgical cuts. I think technically, it does not count as surgery because of that.

Anyway surgical procedure has a risk though.... that will never go to zero.

There is a risk of a bird sh!tting on your head, but most people walk around without umbrellas.

It's a personal decision though. If you aren't comfortable, don't do it!

I knew for myself that I would keep pondering it until my eyesight was "normal".

It came out good for you and everyone else in this thread - which means that I will be the ONE that has major complications (if I let the Fates trick me into relaxing my guard).

As to the bird [censored] - that happened to me. I still have nightmares about it - but at least I can see.

:lol:

It came out good for you and everyone else in this thread - which means that I will be the ONE that has major complications (if I let the Fates trick me into relaxing my guard).

As to the bird [censored] - that happened to me. I still have nightmares about it - but at least I can see.

:lol:

ok! it's not for you, and you have zero chance of complications :)

There are exercises you can do that will improve your eyesight naturally... I was too lazy to do them :(

Work too late and no time when I get home. today is the earliest I finished this week - 9pm.

My dad does those exercises (in his 60s) and says he has seen improvements.

ok! it's not for you, and you have zero chance of complications :)

There are exercises you can do that will improve your eyesight naturally... I was too lazy to do them :(

Work too late and no time when I get home. today is the earliest I finished this week - 9pm.

My dad does those exercises (in his 60s) and says he has seen improvements.

I actually came across that while doing some googling on corrective surgery.

I am a little lazy for that too.

I wear gas permeable lenses and thought they are not ideal (discomfort on windy days when there is dust in the air), I see very well and don't have the nerd effect (my glasses lenses are THICK).

By the way - weren't you expecting some results with the ladies from the change? How is that going? I had that effect when I went from glasses to contacts when I was eighteen. I actually became really bitter about it - when I wore the thick nerd glasses it was like I was invisible to girls. When I switched to contacts things changed a LOT. I didn't suddenly have women all over me, but at least some of them looked at me, smiled at me, etc. That was a TOTALLY new experience. And it really [censored] me off that suddenly for something so superficial my existence was now acknowledged. It took me a while to get over that.

well it was removing one excuse .... doesn't stop the shyness though :(

and way out of shape from working too many hours so no time for exercise...

though having said that a couple nights ago on the walk home from work at almost 11pm a girl said something but i just walked on by.... i should have stopped...

and a party a month ago, a beautiful girl came up to me and danced with me, and i didnt say anything...! and then again later that night she came back to me and i was still tongue-tied... it's been a while now i guess. i'm over my ex so that's not it !

well, i guess i better score a few goals at 5-a-side football tomorrow!

I may start biking to work if i have to move next month :(

• 6 months later...