When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Can Now Spot A Rep Rolex Sub At 15 Feet! Thanks Rwg!

Alan_Schezar

I'm not good with stories, but here it goes:

I was at lunch today in a Japanese restaurant with coworkers. A 30-something guy and his female coworker were seated at a nearby table next to ours, wearing a Rolex Submariner with black and red trim on his right wrist.

He was wearing a short sleeve polo and kept on talking to his coworker with both his elbows on the table and his hands together in a fist supporting his chin, so his Rolex was right near his face and in full view as they talked... :p

I noticed it, but something about it said Rep... <_< I don't even follow Rolexes, I prefer PAMs, but something about it didn't look right, even though it was about 15 feet away from me.

For example, the sapphire looked like glass, the glass looked flat, instead of slightly curved, the magnifying lens for the date was huge, the metal watch band looked rather cheap/cheap metal, and overall the black and red coloring looked shiny... :g:

About 30 minutes later in the lunch, there was a lull in our conversation, and I overheard him say something like: "You see, fake Rolexes have this and that about them, but real ones are like..." And he held up his wrist to show her.

So, Yep! It was a Rep! Thanks to RWG, even if it's not a PAM, I now know what to look for in quality reps! B)

Edited by Alan_Schezar

"Red trim" on a sub? A sub shouldn't have red trim unless it's a super-rare vintage red sub and I'd be surprised if you could pick out the dial print from 15 feet away. So the red trim certainly sounds suspicious.

As far as your other "dead giveaways" go though, as the others have pointed out they don't sound like dead giveaways. Real Rolexes have flat, glasslike crystals. The bands don't look particularly high quality. Most reps suffer from poor date mags, not overly powerful ones.

At work they lost count.......

my secretary ( yes, 23 years etc. etc ) called me some weeks ago out as the best dressed male in the company..... :3a:

This as a result of my addictions; suits, 120 + silk ties and since i'm on this forum: matching watches..... :whistling:

it's time for:

SA (suits anonymous) :huh:

STA (silk ties anonymous) :o

and

AA (alotofwatches anonymous)....... :wounded1:

Please help !!!!! ;)

Gerco

Edited by Gerco

She's looking for a raise then. :D

Hmmm, i'm paying her top dollar for her hmmm..qualifications.... :whistling:

Hmmm, i'm paying her top dollar for her hmmm..qualifications.... :whistling:

Again, that possibly explains the flattery, but without necessarily conferring sincerity.

If you can't tell a GMT Master from a Sub I don't think you're ready to start picking out fakes from gens at any distance.

Edited by kanerich

Again, that possibly explains the flattery, but without necessarily conferring sincerity.

If you can't tell a GMT Master from a Sub I don't think you're ready to start picking out fakes from gens at any distance.

You're right. I had the same experience with a pam. On a distance it looks all the same. You need to get close to make the difference. In this case it was easy: It ad a fake tourbillion and the dial was marked: Panerai luminor tourbillion......must have been russian, because the guy bought it overthere.

Gerco

You're right. I had the same experience with a pam. On a distance it looks all the same. You need to get close to make the difference. In this case it was easy: It ad a fake tourbillion and the dial was marked: Panerai luminor tourbillion......must have been russian, because the guy bought it overthere.

Gerco

I love the Luminor Tourbillion - corner stone of my collection.

Its almost a game you can play when your bored - on a plane, at a boring lunch. Meet a competitor or potential client for the first time.

On Rollies, i'm looking first for the CG's to see if they are huge. Then for pin holes in the outside of the case (depending on year)

But the ones you can tell from 2 miles away are the Chronographs on watches like cheap daytonas or IWC's where the gen does not have that standard dimension between the dials that we see in the asian chronos.

I remember meeting a friend for lunch once, and i wasn't even trying to checkout his watch, but the Chrono spacing Jumped out at me from 10 feet away. (on an IWC) Later he told me that he bought it while on a trip to China. I said, you should have told me you were going i could have gotten you directions to Rep Mecca. Cheap Canal street watches for 5 or 10 bucks and high end Pams for 110 :)

usually though, i will be checking subs and comparing it to the 100 one i got for my father from TTK and noticing - how similiar they actually are - especially from 4 feet away.

:)

And yes, your secretary is trying to get a raise :) or at least, covering up for screwing something up :)