When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW Vintage Daytona

bertieng

Need some advices from the vintage Daytona expert.

May I ask if the DW Daytona housing the mystery movement can go for a direct swap with a VJ23? Is the subdials spacing and stem alignment the same as the mystery movt?

Any other mods is needed apart from the potential necessity of grinding the inner rim of the case to fit the VJ23?

Any kind comments would be most appreciated.

Answer is yes. You can drop a V23 in, but you cannot drop a V72 due to the height difference bwtn the 2 movements. DW's case parts always seem to need a little sanding or grinding. Nothing seems to be made "exact". Suffice to say, the V23 is will indeed fit just fine though.

Cheers

Answer is yes. You can drop a V23 in, but you cannot drop a V72 due to the height difference bwtn the 2 movements. DW's case parts always seem to need a little sanding or grinding. Nothing seems to be made "exact". Suffice to say, the V23 is will indeed fit just fine though.

That is my impression as well.

Cheers

That is my impression as well.

I will 'third' these wisdoms!

I actually have no clue, but, well, you know, 'Eunomians'/'freddy333' ?

It's all about the company you keep and whose opine to which you subscribe that will define you.

I have only fit V72s & A7750s into DW cases, but, depending on how well your particular case was machined, it will likely require some degree of grinding (many DW cases do, regardless of what movement they were made for or what movement you are trying to fit). But, dimensionally, the V23 is just a thinner V72, so it should fit.

Thanks for all the kind advices, guys.

BTW, what should be a "reasonable" price for Swiss VJ23?

I'd say $400-$700 for an entire watch. They're harder to come by than VJ72's but my mvmt only was ~$350 on ebay about 2 years ago.

One thing to watch for is the height of the caseback. Watchdog fit my VJ23 into my mystery mvmt DW no problem -just had to custom some mvmt holders, but the caseback can't be tightened down all the way since it pushed on the mvmt slightly and would cause issues with the chrono function.

DSCN4338.jpg