When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

42mm Gen PO Dial Is it worth it?

Jimster

As the owner of three 42mm PO reps I've always felt that the rep dials were very close. This seems to be backed up the detailed reviews as well.

Recently, I had a close look at a gen in my local AD and noticed a couple of things besides the curly toes on the logo.

The word PROFESSIONAL is much straighter on the gen than all of my reps. My rep dials have the word sloping lower to the end of the word.

The font is clearer.

Is this just me or do others agree? I haven't had the two side by side to pick apart.

Jim

The genuine dial is of great quality. All the small details are just that much better, which create a whole different effect to the rep dial. However, for the price, it is quite a lot to spend in my personal view. I would rather put it towards buying another watch. However, if you really like the watch, many have modded their Planet Ocean's with genuine parts to make really good franken watches.

The PO on the left of center is the rep.. the other two have genuine dials.. but both still with the rep hands (they're just as good as the gen.) the PO in the middle has a genuine crystal the PO on the right has a Chief

T. AR'd crystal

csc0013.jpg

Left to right.. rep xtal... genuine xtal..... ChiefT. Ar'd xtal

dsc0014tix.jpg

dsc0037nci.jpg

Ofrei sells the dials (hands if you feel you need them) the rep hands work just as well IMO.. the genuine dial is around 200 usd.. the genuine xtal around the same ... Chiefs AR'd around 60 usd .. pssst. .. B) get Chiefs !!

L

Besides the logo, the thing that I always look at on PO dials is the hour markers. The genuine markers seem to be slightly wider, especially at the narrow end. I can always spot a rep by looking at its markers, and have never seen a rep (besides the new UPO Chrono) that has gotten this detail correct.

Andreww,

You're right on point!

Comparing them side by side (yup, I grabbed Ofrei's last one at the old price) the differences are subtle but clear.

When I get it on I'll do a side by side of 42mm's since I have three, two of which are modded and now one with a gen dial.

Jim