When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine 16610 Complete Case

cib0rgman

Good eye, PP!

Cib, the side case holes were dropped by Rlx I believe begininng in 2002 for the 16610.

You would need photos of the serial serial #s & markings on the case to feel comfortable. The old TW case with lug holes drilled would be the only rep case that I'm aware of that would be similar. It does not have markings or #s between the lugs so it would be easy to spot.

The seller does need to explain his error. Perhaps the service papers are from 2004 and its actually an earlier model case?

BTW, the pearl looks off to me. The metal surround looks too bulky to my eyes. I'm always suspect when gens are marketed with those darn tiny photos, specailly at the Bay. :whistling: Added: The insert is an aftermarket. Crown: Seems to fit flush against the case which is not the case with the gen.

Edited by Jetsons

W serial dates this one to 1994. I'm betting this is one of the cases from the Idealwatches Subs. I bet this one has an s/n of W860168, like this one:

99095-26646.jpg

99095-26647.jpg

And for those asking... Yup... I did indeed have an old Idealwatches Sub. One of the best cases I've seen, actually. I was quite surprised with it's quality to be honest...

Well,

I asked the guy send me a picture of the case without the bezel, he refused to do it, I am saking for a picture of the serial number then.

He said that if I do not believe that is genuine, do not bid.

Figures

Hmmm, clearly an aftermarket insert, but good looking case all the same - CGs, rehaut looks ok, lughholes look the right size - although I don't know how accurate the idelawatches cases were Ubi refers to.

Still there is an odour about it, if I were selling it, I'd post a pic of the lug serial to show it matched the first few numerals of the paperwork at least. If bidding, I would also have asked for some explanation as to the provenance of this mint condition case? What happened to its 'guts'? How'd he come by it? etc. etc.

The seller's less than helpful attitude also raises a red flag IMO.

Edited by docblackrock

Here is a picture of the serial number, it looks ok to me

99636-26517.jpg

The chances of him getting his hands on papers with a matching serial to the case are astronomical, so you're either talking forgery (why would he bother for a case?) or he has what he says he has.

Seems on the level I would say, pity about the crappy insert though, ah well.

Here is what he has to say

Hi no the bezel is original and remember the watch was

serviced in 2004 and rolex do not tolerate aftermarket

parts, the shop receipt for the service is included in

the auction,

hope this helps

regards

paul

Well... If he has service docs and the s/n checks out with the correlating service center, I'd say it's a go, depending on how high the price goes.

My only wonder is... Why is this case empty??

Exactly my point earlier... a mint condition case and missing movement, dial, bracelet should at least make for an 'interesting' story no?

I would also have asked for some explanation as to the provenance of this mint condition case? What happened to its 'guts'? How'd he come by it? etc. etc.

Because he probably dropped that 3035 into a aftermarket TT case or so, anyway something more expensive. And he sold dial and hands on eBay... probable...

You know, being the innocent decent type I'd have never even of thought to do that but I think you're right, a quick case swap, farm out the parts and suddenly he's looking at a nice fat profit - I guess some people will do anything for money :thumbdown:

Because he probably dropped that 3035 into a aftermarket TT case or so, anyway something more expensive. And he sold dial and hands on eBay... probable...

Actually he said that his friend's TT got flooded and he sold the movement to him. :whistling: strange huh

does anybody knows if an ETA movement and a red Dail will fit this case.

thanks

When you say red dial, are you thinking of a 1680 red submariner? No, that dial will not fit a 16610 case, it's too small. The 16610 dial is slightly larger. Can't tell you about the ETA- isn't it a question of whether or not the stem will line up w/ the case tube?

A mid 90's 16610 would have had a 3135 movement, I believe. The 3035 had a short life in the mid 80's- like in the 16800, etc. and was replaced by the 3135 around '88 and on.

When you say red dial, are you thinking of a 1680 red submariner? No, that dial will not fit a 16610 case, it's too small. The 16610 dial is slightly larger. Can't tell you about the ETA- isn't it a question of whether or not the stem will line up w/ the case tube?

A mid 90's 16610 would have had a 3135 movement, I believe. The 3035 had a short life in the mid 80's- like in the 16800, etc. and was replaced by the 3135 around '88 and on.

I am so sorry i meant a Rep Dial :black_eye:

Man, it sounds like Oliver has already done this a time or two!

Of course, the big "IF" is can you get the case at a reasonable price?

Just thinking out loud:

Take a late model Date, w/ a 3135, say $1750

Sub case at say 600

Dial 200

Hands, stem, misc 100

Total in the watch $2650

Sell on ebay at $3,400-3,500 and you have a decent profit for a days work!

And you'd realize more by selling the Date case, hands, etc!