When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to take away the cyclop on a submariner

klocklind1

Hi there!

Is there anyone here that knows how to take away the cyclop on a submariner and glue it back again ( if it is misplaced or something ! ) !

I can tell you how to get the cyclops off a crystal, but I don't know which glue you should use to re-attach it...

To remove it, you will need a butane lighter, some kitchen tissue, a sheet of paper, and a double-sided razor blade.

It's probably best to completely strip the watch, and remove the crystal from the case, to prevent any damage to the bezel insert, but all you need to do, is wad up a load of kitchen tissue to insulate your hand, and hold the crystal at edge, at the '9' position (with the tissue not covering the cyclops) Then, use the lighter like a mini-blowtorch, and apply the flame to the cyclops. After a few moments, you'll see the glue under the cyclops melt, and you can then use the corner of the razor blade to 'pop' the cyclops off (onto a piece of paper so you don't lose it) Then, use the cutting edge of the razor blade over the surface of the crystal to remove any traces of the glue. Don't worry about scratching the crystal, if it's mineral, it'll be harder than the blade, so no damage... If it's acrylic, well, you'll have a hole where the cyclops used to be the instant you apply the flame to the cyclops ;)

I wouldn't like to suggest which glue to use to reattach the cyclops, but I'm sure that someone else will be able to take over this mini-guide for 'phase two' :) Best of luck with your project :good:

I think the butane torch style lighter is the key.

I tried doing this exact thing with a regular Bic style candle lighter/flamer and could not seem to ever get it hot enough to take off.

I have head soaking the crystal in 100% pure acetone in a sealed jar overnight will help remove the glue holding the cyclops as well, never tried that personally but as long as off the watch acetone cannot do any damage to the mineral or sapphire crystal.

Thanks a LOT for the quick response from You guys !

I know that You have to use UV glue to glue it back again !

I have bought a tube of UV glue and there is the text saying that the glue will harden WHEN You go out in the sun ( if it is cloudy it will take longer time! )

So put the glue on the cyclop and the see that it is perfectly centered over the datewindow and then go out in the sun to get the glue to harden fully!

My question is : IF the glue will be 100 % invisible when You press the cyclop back again?