When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Second hand freezes for a second

Rolexman

Well the title is pretty self explanatory. When I shake (hard) a DG2813 sometimes the hand freezes for a second (or less). All my DG2813 movements do this. I presume this affects it's time keeping permance e.g. when jogging.

I find this a little strange but as all my DG2813 watches do this I think it is normal for this movement. . .

Any insights on what causes it?

Probably this is related to a thread a read in a non-rep forum...saying that this movement reduces the speed when the second hand is going up (watch hold vertical) and runs faster when the hand goings down...

In the thread there was a solution about reducing pressure somewhere...I could not understand then the solution....

Francisco.

Probably this is related to a thread a read in a non-rep forum...saying that this movement reduces the speed when the second hand is going up (watch hold vertical) and runs faster when the hand goings down...

In the thread there was a solution about reducing pressure somewhere...I could not understand then the solution....

Francisco.

Thanks for the input. If you didn't understand it how can I? :lol:

maybe the hack mechanism is loose and engages accidentaly.

judt my 2 cents

I doubt it but thanks for the participation anyway :good:

This sounds like it was written by the person who worked on a watch I had in house one time...

The watch was running slow, so the watchmaker (?) cut 1/4 from the seconds hand to make it run faster...the seconds hand was only 3/4 as long as it should be.

Watches dont' run slower or faster when the hand it going up or down, this is not correct, and hands are balanced as well.

To answer the original question, it could be a couple of things, shaking hard is a really bad idea, because the balance will probably overbank (spin completely around and hit the outside of the pallet arm), my guess is that the balance and pallet are jamming up from the shaking, and/or as someone already said, the movement is probably indirect center seconds drive. Indirect seconds have slack between the gears and do odd things, you can check easily by holding the watch vertical, watch the seconds hand from 12-6 and watch it from 6-12. If on the way down with gravity you see the hand jumping, and on the way up against gravity the hand is smooth, it's indirect drive.

Mechanical watches will overbank when shaken, all of them, jogging with any mechanical watch or playing tennis for example, is a bad idea...I could tell you about the IWC that arrived with all the dial markers broken off...from a good backhand swing... :)

RG

This sounds like it was written by the person who worked on a watch I had in house one time...

The watch was running slow, so the watchmaker (?) cut 1/4 from the seconds hand to make it run faster...the seconds hand was only 3/4 as long as it should be.

Watches dont' run slower or faster when the hand it going up or down, this is not correct, and hands are balanced as well.

To answer the original question, it could be a couple of things, shaking hard is a really bad idea, because the balance will probably overbank (spin completely around and hit the outside of the pallet arm), my guess is that the balance and pallet are jamming up from the shaking, and/or as someone already said, the movement is probably indirect center seconds drive. Indirect seconds have slack between the gears and do odd things, you can check easily by holding the watch vertical, watch the seconds hand from 12-6 and watch it from 6-12. If on the way down with gravity you see the hand jumping, and on the way up against gravity the hand is smooth, it's indirect drive.

Mechanical watches will overbank when shaken, all of them, jogging with any mechanical watch or playing tennis for example, is a bad idea...I could tell you about the IWC that arrived with all the dial markers broken off...from a good backhand swing... :)

RG

Thanks for the input WD! I indeed think the second hand is indirect driven because as soon as I hack the second hand stops, but the balance and palet arm still make some swings before slowing down gently. I did notice however some DG2813's I have do hack different e.g. with a direct brake and stop of the balance. So it could be there are some variations between the 2813?. . .