When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stopped in the AD for a DeepSea...

gioarmani

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

Fortunately, I was just looking. ;)

This is actually the newest DSSD from Chris, at Eurotimez. I just had to dress it up with my new Rolex box set from watchnet. Quite nice, over all; possibly the best I've seen so far...

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

The rehaut lines up perfect & proper at 3, 9, & 12 (I switched the crystal out so I could shoot it without too much distortion--the rehaut does not appear incorrectly deep on the wrist):

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

And possibly the best feature of this piece--the new correctly beveled date-window:

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_2112-1.jpg

Other details:

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

ETA clone movement:

IMG_1065.jpg

And the correctly/gen sized & shaped two-piece caseback:

IMG_1071.jpg

Too many of the later V3s and V4s came with the faux-titanium part of the caseback having an incorrect shape (notice the incorrect stepped trench below, as opposed to the correctly shaped piece above):

ROLEX-2009-4-26-02-07.jpg

I must admit, I am very, very impressed with this piece. In my opinion, the V4 botched the case shape & crown-guards, and this piece seems to have corrected the problems with that and the V4's poorly fitted SELS & lugs:

hjfvuyfuy.jpg

If the factory dumped the V4 case mold and went back to the V3 case mold, it was a wise decision. The SEL-to-lug fit of this model is as good, if not better than the V3s, and damn close to the gen:

jvcgcuy4-1.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

The lume is all blue as well, the hands a bit brighter than the markers, but still all blue, none the less:

IMG_2128.jpg

Now here's the part I'm the most proud of, if I do say so myself. :D I've never done a lume-job before, as I didn't think I'd have the patience for it.

I got the correct (gen) color Superluminova from Flavor Flav on Repgeek, and just used a Testors gloss varnish to bind it (with just a dash of Testors white paint ;) )

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

I was too afraid to lose concentration and screw up my first re-luming in order to shoot the process, so I'll just post what I did.

IMG_1239.jpg

First, I pushed the markers off the dial from the back with the tip of a sewing needle, soaked them in a bit of nail-polish remover for about 30 seconds--in order to loosen & dissolve the factory lume--then removed it by brushing off the remains with a stiff-bristled, flat 1/4 inch paint brush.

After the markers were cleaned with nail-polish remover, I secured them in Rodico, mixed my lume mixture of equal parts powder & varnish, with just a dash of white-paint & applied it with the tip of a watch-movement oiling needle.

Once it had dried (I gave it three hours to set up) I took a soft, sable-haired 1/4 inch flat paint-brush and after making it damp--not wet--in a bit of the nail polish remover, gently brushed the tops of the markers to smooth the surface of the lume & even it out, making it flat instead of domed, as I'm not a fan of domed markers. I sprayed a bit of Krylon gloss varnish over the tops of the markers, and let them dry again.

To re-affix them to the dial, I mixed up an equal portion of two-ply, clear, waterproof epoxy and applied a minuscule dot of glue to the tiny hole in the dial where the markers sit, then pressed them gently into place with a yakitori bamboo skewer, tipped with Rodico. :) After the glue had started to thicken--about five minutes--I took the Rodico off the blunt end of the skewer and gently pressed them down flush with the dial, making sure they were all perfectly aligned.

Here's the final result this morning, after dried & reassembled:

IMG_1248.jpg

I was AMAZED at how nice they turned out, not to mention how bright they glowed in the ambient light of the room after a full charge from an LED flashlight.

This dial lights up like a f*cking beacon once your eyes are adjusted to the dark! And as far as staying power goes....here's a shot EIGHT hours later:

IMG_1249.jpg

Dulling, but I was amazed I could still tell perfect time in the dark.

For comparison to the gen's color, here's the charged gen dial:

3283562401_4708f395d9_b.jpg

And here's mine:

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

So if anyone's still on the fence about which model to jump for, I definitely give the thumbs up to this one from Eurotimez. A nice piece indeed.

Hope you enjoy!

Edited by gioarmani

One last pic--what's nice about this piece is the bezel is nice & thick, like it should be, and the insert appears to sit slightly below the bezel lip, like it should. :)

IMG_1252.jpg

The ring lock's black print is also nice and smooth the way it should be, not overly engraved like most of the newer ones are.

Erm, I'm literally blown away and slightly speechless by this gio, this is a 5* post. You've taken us through just about every phase there is and compared this piece to all the previous models showing good research. This post is an incredible piece of work, as is your clarity in photography and boldness in your first reluming project.

The only piece of information missing really is, where did this piece come from same factory as V4?!? Eurotimez has it and Lani has been talking about how there is a new Deepsea with beveled date window in it, but is THIS it?? Time will tell maybe?

Once again gio, thank you so much for this post.. This had everything, bravo.

Erm, I'm literally blown away and slightly speechless by this gio, this is a 5* post. You've taken us through just about every phase there is and compared this piece to all the previous models showing good research. This post is an incredible piece of work, as is your clarity in photography and boldness in your first reluming project.

The only piece of information missing really is, where did this piece come from same factory as V4?!? Eurotimez has it and Lani has been talking about how there is a new Deepsea with beveled date window in it, but is THIS it?? Time will tell maybe?

Once again gio, thank you so much for this post.. This had everything, bravo.

This could be it--this is the fourth piece I've bought for myself & others over the last week, and Chris' is the first one I've seen this nice!

This could be it--this is the fourth piece I've bought for myself & others over the last week, and Chris' is the first one I've seen this nice!

Gio, I concur with the prior post, your knowledge on the DSSD is a significant help to all of us!

QUESTION: Did you just order Chris's "standard" Ultimate DSSD and that is the watch you received (luck of the draw kind of thing?) or is it "hidden" in some special area on his site and needs to be specifically asked for? When I look at the pictures on the current watch for sale, it looks like the standard V-3 with the same flaws and nothing like you are showing.

Thanks....Cam

Gio, I concur with the prior post, your knowledge on the DSSD is a significant help to all of us!

QUESTION: Did you just order Chris's "standard" Ultimate DSSD and that is the watch you received (luck of the draw kind of thing?) or is it "hidden" in some special area on his site and needs to be specifically asked for? When I look at the pictures on the current watch for sale, it looks like the standard V-3 with the same flaws and nothing like you are showing.

Thanks....Cam

No, I got a heads up that a new release with the best dial was coming, so I ordered it ASAP. I'm hoping he'll change the pics on the site to the new watch today or tomorrow--simply because it looks so much better than the one on there now. According to him, any order for the ETA or the clone ETA will be this watch.

Hi Gio! Thank you for a great review of this most wonderful watch.

I have just checked on the Eurotimez site and the new pictures have not yet been updated.

Just one quick question - does this DSSD have the Rolex crown engraved/etched at the six o'clock marker?

Many thanks Gio and again, a great review, can't wait to get myself one of these, payday is on Friday!!!!!!!!

Best wishes,

Jit

this post will probably ending me up buying another rolex..

and dont even like rolex..but this looks amazzing...

should I go for the ETA or ETA-clone?

- tazz

I am right with tazz. Thanks a lot Gio. More reason for my wife to be [censored] at me. :D

I am right with tazz. Thanks a lot Gio. More reason for my wife to be [censored] at me. :D

i was just to pull the trigger on a gen SMP chrono ..but it has to wait a bit.,,..more reps to buy first ;)

anyhow.. ive heard from a bird that there is another version coming next month.. even better? correct or not?

tazz

Absolutely awesome :) A fantastic watch to begin with, made even better by skillful mods :) Are you planning on offering re-luming services, or was it a strictly 'own use only' project?

Congratulations again :good:

bezel looks very nice but caseback and rehaut engraving was better on v4?

If you're talking about the "original gas escape valve" print, it's heads above the V4. If you're referring to the "rolex rolex rolex" engraving, they essentially look the same. My macro shots suck--low light, low shutter speed, small aperture, and too lay to use a tripod. :(

The beveled window is very deep, I'm not sure if this is the doubled dial or not, and so far this is the only dealer with these--I don;t know if this is technically a V5 or if this is the one the others are waiting till next month for. There are too many #@%$ing releases of this to keep up anymore; this is the best one I've seen yet.

The beveled window is very deep, I'm not sure if this is the doubled dial or not, and so far this is the only dealer with these--I don;t know if this is technically a V5 or if this is the one the others are waiting till next month for. There are too many #@%$ing releases of this to keep up anymore; this is the best one I've seen yet.

I've just ordered one from Hont and his pics he sent didn't look like a V4 but wasn't quite the same as this one either, will post pics once I get it.