When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Navitimer date fix....?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applaud your efforts, and hope that it will lead to some sort of solution. But, I really am skeptical that you will be able to fully resolve the date window issue on the rep navitimers. Although the recessed date wheel is annoying, it is only part of the problem. The date window on the Navitimer is huge, certainly much bigger than the date window on our 7750 reps. So if you use a rep dial, it will only look slightly more accurate. A gen dial is not an alternative, as the date window is cut slightly more outboard, as the 7753 date wheel is different. When you install a gen dial you will see the outer edge of the datewheel. I guess that if you made your overlay to 7753 specs, and installed a gen dial, you would have something, but that's going to involve a lot of work and cash. At best I can see one decent franken coming out of this, but I don't see an easy fix for all unfortunately.

I applaud your efforts, and hope that it will lead to some sort of solution. But, I really am skeptical that you will be able to fully resolve the date window issue on the rep navitimers. Although the recessed date wheel is annoying, it is only part of the problem. The date window on the Navitimer is huge, certainly much bigger than the date window on our 7750 reps. So if you use a rep dial, it will only look slightly more accurate. A gen dial is not an alternative, as the date window is cut slightly more outboard, as the 7753 date wheel is different. When you install a gen dial you will see the outer edge of the datewheel. I guess that if you made your overlay to 7753 specs, and installed a gen dial, you would have something, but that's going to involve a lot of work and cash. At best I can see one decent franken coming out of this, but I don't see an easy fix for all unfortunately.

Thanks Andreww..... I've always wondered what a "Franken" was, but I guess it must mean a modified rep?

Now you need to find a place neer you who can laser print onto plastic card. Shouldn't be too hard.

Col.

Not too hard at all given my wife is a printer! I was thinking of potentially using screen printing as I had the impression that this is how the proper ones are done. Interestingly I was going to make prototypes myself. I have some ace paper I once got from HP that is plastic printer paper that will run through my laser printer; I was looking for it yesterday but couldn't find it

Thanks Andreww. I think you are right about this being a hard task and that you are correct that the date window position is a slightly different as is the size on the original. These are obviously issues but the idea is to bring the rep one step closer and I think that the massive recess is something that needs to be fixed. In the end even if the recess problem isn't fixed this will give us a date wheel that can be fitted in the reps that has the same number font and orientations as the original. That may be enough for some.

Raymo - Glad to see more enthusiasm on this!

One problem is it turns out that the image above, originally from Yodap, is from the old 21600 beat A7750 and is not likely the one in your watch. As yet we don't have an image of the front of the current tricompax a7750. It would be great if you could get your hands and face off and snap us a pic.

That goes for the rest of you guys - if anybody has a pic of their navitimer with the hands and face removed it would be of serious use to this project

cheers

My gen Navi went off for a service last week....otherwise i would've been able to take it apart!

this is the closest I could find on the web: REDEYE SERIF MEDIUM or BOLD

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/aboutype/redeye-serif/

for an idea type in BREITLING 123489

the font still needs manipulating though.....like stretching it out.

I posted this a couple of years ago, but some killjoy poo-poo'd it :rolleyes:

I've just ordered hand removal tools, so should have Legende photos in a week.

Great news Raymo. I'm eagerly awaiting your pics.

Screen printing wpould be good but it's more expensive for small runs (no prob for you) and is hard to get perfect at this scale as your wife no doubt knows. I'd be thinking of doing dials if you can print small enough.

Col.

Col. lol. It's an idea I'm toying with. Esp given the points Andreww noted above. Lets stick with the datewheel for now. On a side note the thing that I'd be more interested in addressing next would be the messed up slide rule.

Can somebody post a pic of the gen date wheel font? The pic posted earlier isn't working. (the one hosted at xs.to)

The image you are referring to, from lello, was not a gen date wheel. One of my posts has an image showing the date windows from a number of gen navi dials. I hope this helps