When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedmaster moon watch saphire to plexy conversion

FxrAndy

I have a gen crystal (1970s) in my hands and i just mesured it at 34.01mm,

Now the big problem we have is the gen plexy is an armored type with a tension ring fitted inside coloured mat grey same as the dial, we have a silver deap flat rehaut so our dials sit deaper, i had the 70s gen in today but did not get time to do any comparison shots, a shallower dome by 0.7mm will make the overall hight perfect but the dial will still be too deep, painting the rehaut would take away the shine but not the depth, I have just ordered a larger (so i can get rid of the saphire retaining ring) shallower (to get the overall height right) plexy to see if that helps the over all effects but i am sceptical

What ever we do we will still have the depth problem and how ever hard we work on the crystals it will not change the subdials.

It looks great ! But what is the difference with the XAC 342.594 from Sternkreuz ?

3255762071_8847c00202_o.jpg

I put this model on my cheap snoopy

3313778232_e3068405a0_o.jpg

The problem is that it is an armored type with a tension ring and unless you remove the ring you will have a double rehaut, it may not be a problem on yours but on the cases that has the seagul chrono that would be a massive dual coloured rehaut

The problem is that it is an armored type with a tension ring and unless you remove the ring you will have a double rehaut, it may not be a problem on yours but on the cases that has the seagul chrono that would be a massive dual coloured rehaut

I checked with my extra plexi and the tension metal ring can be removed super easily (it's pop out with a pression of my nail). Maybe if you sandpaper the rehaut, you might win the 0.7mm you are looking for?

Edited by docdoc

All be aware that the GEN glas does not fit the rep case that i have it is too small (the glass) I have tried a gen crystal tonight

Try 2 is using a Sternkreuz 340 lentille (normal gewolbt)

Now the 340 is a tad to small so i think a 341/2 is needed here as i had to glue this one in but the shape is what i am looking for,

Same problems as before though shinny dep rehaute that we wont be able to get rid of, you could paint it but it will still be too deep.

Photo0051.jpg

Photo0054.jpg

Photo0053.jpg

Photo0052.jpg

height is now 13.3mm so a bit thinner than gen.

Perfect sollution

1. move crown tube up 1.5mm

2. lower rehaute by 0.5mm

3. Taper rehaute to meet inside edge of crystal

4. install sternkreuz hidome 341

5. paint what is left of rehaute mat blak to match dial

6. Live with wrong subdial spacing

7. Live with what is still the wrong rehaute but it is better

or

Give up and buy the gen

or

wait for a new generation rep :surrender:

good to know that the gen don't fit. Sorry for the confusion !

So far, Andy your mod look very very good !!!

wait for a new generation rep :surrender:

That is what I am waiting for. I read that Josh is aware of a new speedmaster generation using the modified 7750. But there is no date of release yet :(

Edited by docdoc

I dont think the new gen speedy will be perfect or even a moon watch. Ive had zero problems with the venus movement over two watches over two years plus the display back is awesome and a legit case back for gens. But i guess we'll have to wait and see what this new generation of speed rep looks like

• 2 years later...

I bought my speedy second hand and already modded. Mine is the windup with saphire glass back and I think the same one in your original post Andy.

Whoever did mine must have used super glue... because it looks as though fumes got to the inside of the crystal and clouded it. You can also see glue all over the inside and rehaut has been painted.

I want to redo this Andy.. and I just looked up sternkreuz on Ebay

I see there are at least six versions of 336 on ebay at the moment. I am at loss of what to get.

I will probably ask Jmb to do this for me. :)

Current situation with fogged plexi

7e7ad19c.jpg

So it could a different size. Mine is the handwind lemania ST something.

It's a common rep with the glass back.

I guess I'll order one of the lower domes and see how it fits.

They are pretty cheap crystals..if it's too small/large I'll go from there.

So it could a different size. Mine is the handwind lemania ST something.

It's a common rep with the glass back.

I guess I'll order one of the lower domes and see how it fits.

They are pretty cheap crystals..if it's too small/large I'll go from there.

As I said I have seen 3 different sizes and they were all handwind st with display backs get the watch first and then measure it. You never know I may have the crystal you need in my spares as I always order the one I want one smaller and one larger

Current situation with fogged plexi

7e7ad19c.jpg

FYI- just a little car model building trick...

To make it somewhat "lookable" you can always pop the movement out and use just a bit of Mop & Glo on the inside of the crystal to "clear up" the fogging.

FYI- just a little car model building trick...

To make it somewhat "lookable" you can always pop the movement out and use just a bit of Mop & Glo on the inside of the crystal to "clear up" the fogging.

Thanks, I may try that...but another issue is the edge of the crystal where it is glued is a mess too. You can see the installer was not too tidy on this effort.

I bought it on another forum last year and the seller did not disclose any of the modding info. I was a bit mad about it...but the guy was a highly respected member there with an enormous post count, I was new and didn't say anything..lesson learned.

It may be the pictures since it is difficult to photograph but it seems to me that the gen's glass has straighter edges. Mine is a broad arrow GMT so it may not be the exact model of your rep but take a look at my gen... Can you notice the almost vertical sides?...iPad camera sucks btw...