When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another moron posting a rep on a gen forum

jnkay

99% of the Rolex forum guys couldn't spot a fake. They even have a report section there with their own "experts"... when you combine enthusiasm with cluelessness you'll get dreadful results. Of course there are some HC collectors who know their stuff... but they're in the minority.

I visited the TRF once, browsed around for a while, and I couldn't believe the amount of perfectly legit Rolexes that those guys reported. Amateurs! I think it's a disgrace to report someone's auction if you're not 100% sure that his watch is a counterfeit.

I haven't visited in a year or so... so maybe things have changed.

Ah well... not a place for me anyway.

99% of the Rolex forum guys couldn't spot a fake. They even have a report section there with their own "experts"... when you combine enthusiasm with cluelessness you'll get dreadful results. Of course there are some HC collectors who know their stuff... but they're in the minority.

I visited the TRF once, browsed around for a while, and I couldn't believe the amount of perfectly legit Rolexes that those guys reported. Amateurs! I think it's a disgrace to report someone's auction if you're not 100% sure that his watch is a counterfeit.

I haven't visited in a year or so... so maybe things have changed.

Ah well... not a place for me anyway.

On a related note, what is stopping me visit the breitling forum more often is the couple of idiots there that do nothing but post they have spotted a fake on ebay. One guy, joined in February, over 1,000 posts. Probably 950 of them 'look at this fake on ebay' posts.

You know what he did is pretty clever.

If he made a post here at RWG, and asked us to "list all the faults with the GMTII", we would tell him to read and research on his own.

If he explicitly stated the watch was a fake, those other forum members would have been less precise in examining its flaws.

He wanted to know about the accuracy of the watch and he got it. Good stuff.

I think you're giving him too much credit here

My first reaction was to agree, but while typing the response I had a moment to reflect and have to disagree. I don't think anyone really thinks that they can post a photo of a cheap rep and get away with claiming it was real. Instead of doing the homework, why not use the anonymity of the internet to test the waters on a gen forum before showing it off to your buds? I could see myself doing that when I was 11 years old...

Interesting read, yes. Learned some stuff, yes. Clearly, I am not as into watches as I should be because the only thing I took away from that read was how much of a not-funny, annoying, douche Jocke appears to be!

True, I did destroy my keyboard. I friggin smashed it against my skull while reading his moronic posts!

And yes, the groveling idiots that fell over themselves trying to lick his bag were quite amusing too!

Jocke as a watch expert.......could be. Jocke's sense of humor........severely lame! <_<

Sigh!

The thing that gets me is these were serious Rollie buffs, real WISs - with a photo to study and compare to Gen in very tight detail, far closer than you'd ever get in daily life.

And yet there was some serious debate, at least at first.

Considering the things they spotted - how many would have noticed if they just saw the watch on his wrist at a wedding or in a business meeting?

What if they didn't have a gen handy to compare, detail for detail?

Compare that to how easy it was to spot a Rollie rep 10 years ago and see how far reps have come -

Considering the things they spotted - how many would have noticed if they just saw the watch on his wrist at a wedding or in a business meeting?

None.

Fakey ilistrated this damn well with this little compro:

TheRealWorld.jpg

The real world is a different place and does not have a macro function.

Col.