When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It has been awhile so I need some feedback....

Justasgood

O.k.,

So I am trying to help my friend sell off some of his collection. One piece is this old school MBW. Someone had started to mod it but it was rough. The lug holes were drilled, but they looked like pimples. Also, the cg's were torn up a bit too. Supposedly has a Gen crown and tube....but I have my doubts.

So after an hour at my bench, here are the results:

DSCN3093.jpg

DSCN3092.jpg

DSCN3091.jpg

DSCN3090.jpg

DSCN3089.jpg

DSCN3088.jpg

DSCN3087.jpg

Well......how's it look?

Thanks and have agreat Holiday,

Kurt.

Looks good to me!

:)

I have no idea what it looked like prior to your make over, but based on your description, I'm going to say it appears as though you've done a great job saving this one...

Thanks U.

The CG's were pretty choppy and uneven on the inside and the lug holes looked like a volcano top.....like they were raised around the hole itself....rather odd looking to say the least.

That looks great Justasgood!

A really nice finishing touch would be doing the "paint mod" to the HEV.

If you take an X-acto (sp?) knife, or a similar razor that has a very sharp point, you could slowly trace around the circumference of the HEV. This will essentially etch the metal surface, and remove a small amount of steel. Next, wash it with an alcohol prep pad (or a cotton ball soaked with alcohol or similar cleaner)

Finally, apply some black india ink or flat paint to the HEV. No need to be careful, because after you let it set all you need to do is gently wipe off the excess paint with a flat folded paper towel. The result will be beautiful, as paint will remain in the etched out circumference of the HEV, making it appear as a separate valve, and not just a simple stamping in the case

That looks great Justasgood!

A really nice finishing touch would be doing the "paint mod" to the HEV.

If you take an X-acto (sp?) knife, or a similar razor that has a very sharp point, you could slowly trace around the circumference of the HEV. This will essentially etch the metal surface, and remove a small amount of steel. Next, wash it with an alcohol prep pad (or a cotton ball soaked with alcohol or similar cleaner)

Finally, apply some black india ink or flat paint to the HEV. No need to be careful, because after you let it set all you need to do is gently wipe off the excess paint with a flat folded paper towel. The result will be beautiful, as paint will remain in the etched out circumference of the HEV, making it appear as a separate valve, and not just a simple stamping in the case

Thanks JoJo...I have seen the mod but not the detail as a how-to.

Perhaps I'll give it a shot today.

Any progress or improvements to the Gilt PCG 5513?

Can't see enough of that one. :D

Hi Justasgood,

Here's a pic of the MBW 1665 I had. The case was aged nicely, and IMO, the 'paint mod" definitely adds a little depth to the HEV:

1665023.jpg

..As far as the 5513 goes, I've sent the original expansion bracelet out to have it restored. It mostly needs new springs, and I'm still on the fence about restoring the overall appearance. I think a mild re-brushing may look good, but I certainly don't want it to look new when the rest of the watch is retaining its "as original" appearance.

Gens016-1.jpg

The bracelet in the above picture is an extra gen 7206 I had laying on the bench. Luckily it will suffice while the original gets a tune up ;)