When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New horse in the stable

Shundi

Poll  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Well?...

• I like it!
    • Should have gone with a date model...

Better photos coming Tuesday ;)... aftermarket bracelet obviously but I've got a Jubilee band, another gen clasp and vintage red leather "Montres Rolex S.A." box on the way to complete the latest package :p Calibre 1560 for those interested...you'll have movement shots too :)

rolexfront.jpg

Very nice, Shundi! With a 1560 and alpha hands, I'd date it to the early 60's. I kinda like the oyster band myself. Maybe you could pick up one of those old flimsy C&I bands- I wouldn't think those would be too expensive, maybe a couple of hundred dollars.

I just bought a 5506 Air King w/ a 1530 movt, gold shell case. It went straight to the watchmaker for servicing and a light polish. I figure it's around 1957-8. These vintage oysters aren't cheap, but they're still somewhat reasonable.

Very nice, Shundi! With a 1560 and alpha hands, I'd date it to the early 60's. I kinda like the oyster band myself. Maybe you could pick up one of those old flimsy C&I bands- I wouldn't think those would be too expensive, maybe a couple of hundred dollars.

I just bought a 5506 Air King w/ a 1530 movt, gold shell case. It went straight to the watchmaker for servicing and a light polish. I figure it's around 1957-8. These vintage oysters aren't cheap, but they're still somewhat reasonable.

Bang on with the date... Oyster is a great bracelet...and since it's got lugholes (:wub:) swapping between an Oyster, Jubilee, and croc strap is no problem at all!

5506 is nice and the 1530s (indeed, most of the 15xx series) is/are great movements. Pricing on these is somewhat higher than a comparable vintage Omega Constellation (and, quite honestly, I love the 564 movement- in house Omega :wub:) but, I agree, still reasonable- especially in this market (I picked this up for a song).

Can't wait to see more Shundi.

I often think I should start to explore these Rolex one day :huh:

Thanks POTR and Stephane,

Yeah- these might be worth the investment... I think they're a lot more subtle without the datejust mag bubble...I find myself not wearing my gen 2006 TT Datejust due to the fact that the mag gets all sorts of gunk around it, etc...