When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the 3717-02 Spitfire Chronograph underappreciated?

Roma Leo

The second gen watch I ever bought was the IWC 3717-02 Spitfire Chronograph. I fell in love with the watch first tiome I saw it and spent three years deciding if I wanted to spend that much on a genuine. I like the other IWC watches as well, but this watch is so visually appealling to me. It wears equally well as a dress watch or sport watch. However in my time on this and other forums, I have yet to see anyone bragging about it as rep. Is this watch underappreciated

Here is the official photo from IWC:

3717_002_l.jpg

Here are my poor photos of my gen:

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

Just wondering why no one appears to love this watch.

Roma Leo

Always thought it was a stunning piece. You are right -- doesn't seem to be talked about much for some reason.

I think it's the white dialed thing. Most discussion here is on black dials. I do think the Spitfire is one great rep...and one of the nicest on brown croc you can get for a good mix of sporty elegance.

Hi first timer here.

Ive seen this rep advertised on a site called puretime. Can anyone tell me if that is a reputable site and if the products sold there are of the same quality as the reps pictured in this thread.

Beautiful watch, would very much like to order one.

Edited by anotherfish

Hi first timer here.

Ive seen this rep advertised on a site called puretime. Can anyone tell me if that is a reputable site and if the products sold there are of the same quality as the reps pictured in this thread.

Read the Noob Guide linked in my sig and all will be revealed. Puretimewatch is one of the recommended dealers here. There are others...do your research and decide who's the best one for you.

Read the Noob Guide linked in my sig and all will be revealed. Puretimewatch is one of the recommended dealers here. There are others...do your research and decide who's the best one for you.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I can't see your sig, perhaps because I'm a noob? I'll hunt around for the link.

I'm a keen photographer so i'll post pics of the 3717-02 when it arrives (wherever I get it from in the end).

Another real noob question: I am only really interested in highly accurate reps even if they are a bit more expensive. Is there a sub forum or set of dealers specific to this market?

Thanks again

Hi first timer here.

That's where I got mine from. The deal went flawlessly.

w

Thanks for the information. How long did yours take to arrive? (i'm in the EU so it might be different I guess).

I am a big fan of white faced watches and this is a really stunning example.

If I remember correctly, it took just under a week.

Yeah, Toad. Why can't we see your sig?

It's a forum configuration...the sig only shows up for the first post for a user in the page...so scroll up and look for my first post on this thread. The sig's long...so Admin trimmed it from repeating for successive posts to make it cleaner to read...I think it's a good feature!!

I just got mine in and the 0 in the 10 seems to be slightly crooked.

However, reading over Toad's review, it looks exactly the same:

Anybody else feel the 0 in the 10 is a bit crooked?

Looking at mine in my hand...I can't see it as crooked. It seemed that way in the pic...but in my hand I can't see it. If it is, it's not so bad that it bugs me, or that I can even notice for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a love hate relationship with mine, first when I got mine the crystal was rather yellow in direct sunlight, so I changed it for a stock mineral and it is now white as snow. The only main difference between the gen is that the central disc on the dial on the gen is much more pronounced and looks much more metalic and swirled. Other than that it is a great looking rep, and stands out from the crowd mainly due to the raise numbers which look fantastic in the right light.

Edited by Flashman