When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which GMT/Dual Time would you recommend?

onezero

I'm heading overseas in Sept and want to buy either a GMT/Dual Time watch. It can't be a mainstream expensive brand like Rolex/Omega etc because I don't want to be a mugging target (i'll be in third world countries, travelling solo) Panerai, IWC etc probably wouldn't be as easily recognised by a petty criminal.

Looks don't really matter as it's just for the trip, just something reliable, splash resistant, and not overly expensive (under US$250) Rep/Gen.

Your experiences/recommendation?

Edited by onezero

Third World countries!! Well you'll be o.k. with panerai and if you get mugged will because the watch is big and not because of the brand. and if you are going to places where tourist meet, then you will o.k. nothing to worry about.

What a coincidence!

I'm about to do some serious travelling too and have been looking out for alternative GMT/Dual time watches. I'll share what i've found so far:

Apart from the Rolex GMT and Explorer II's, other 'more discrete' models are the:

- Panerai 088 and 297; the main difference between them is the presence of a metal bracelet on the latter

- Scuderai GMT

- Chopard MM GT - these come in a range of different bezel colours

- IWC UTC St Exupery

- Breitling Navitimer World

- Chanel GMT

- Montblanc Timewalker GMT

- Louis vuitton Tambour GMT

- There's also an Omega Seamaster GMT.

I won't be pulling the trigger on one for another month or so but after taking into account the need for durability, adequate reliability, and value/rep accuracy, i'm leaning towards BK's Explorer 2 for $340 intl shipped. I'm not much of a Frolex fan but i feel that the large hour font on the bezel makes it easier to tell the time compared with the other offerings' hour font on the dial itself.

I understand the desire to be 'discrete' especially while travelling. On the explorer 2, I think it's profile is understated enough to be overlooked from a distance. Although, another 'more discrete' option imho, would be a Rolex Pro hunter GMT on a nylon strap. The main issues with the pro hunter gmt, when compared to the explorer 2, are the more significant rep flaws, and the chance of an unreliable movement since they're mostly sold by drop shipping dealers.

A gen alternative would be a dual-time casio g-shock. They are unbreakable, accurate, and won't draw attention.

Edited by clockwerkgoblin