When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Introdution & Request for Style Guidance

cdk847

Hello All. This is my first posting, so I wanted to introduce myself a bit before I ask any questions. First of all, let me thank all of you for the VAST WEALTH of information that I have found on this site. I have spent a minimum of an hour a day reading and learning since I signed up two weeks ago. I found this site while hunting for a new rep online. I live like 30 miles outside NYC, so I have bought my share from Canal St. Basically I got sick of the crap quality. So I wore a couple of Invictas for a year but they lacked whatever it is you get from wearing an actual rep. So I figured there had to be better online. After drowning in endless dealers (most seeming shady) I found this site. And it probably saved me a fortune.

I have learned better through my research than to ask the typical noob questions. The advise I am seeking here is just some personal opinions on style. I'm going to college in the fall (after a 6 year break post high school). So I'm going at 24 years of age and not as a "kid." I have already decided that I want a Rolex rep, and that I want to get from Josh (rated great and you can't beat $108 shipped). However I'm torn between the Explorer I, the Rolesium Yachtmaster, and the LV Sub. The basic black sub screams rep in my opinion. While I LOVE the Rolesium I think it might be too flashy. And the Explorer I is an old favorite, but I'm not sure if it will feel too small compared to the Invicta "Sub" I have been wearing (Also, I'm a big guy at 6foo1, with 8inch wrists).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris

Explorer is too small - trust me :D

how about the Explorer II ? nice and more believable than the LV ...

SSD lite is also very nice .....

and i would spend a little more for at least an ETA-copy movement.

cheers,

Frank

I'm 6'5" and my favorite watch is the 6536, same diameter as an Explorer-I. And nobody has ever told me that my watch is too small. :inv::crazy::icecream:

My advice is to wear what you like. If people think it's too small let them be wrong. Tell 'em you don't waste size on nontrivial matters.

Explorer-I all the way, baby. :tu:

I was always taught to seek the advise of those more knowledgeable than myself. SO it's looking like Josh (Perfect Clones) Exp 1. For $108 I can't beat it. He takes CC direct, and it has the upgraded Asia ETA 28.8 movement in that particular noob. Just to be safe I'm gonna browse my AD this weekend.Any further input would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep all informed. Thanks.

IMO, from a 'style' standpoint Rolex doesn't exactly fit with the typical college crowd. Maybe if you were at Harvard or some other private school where very wealthy kids go, but there you'd probably get called out with a rep at that price.

For the rank and file college campus, I don't think it's your best choice of brand, but if it must be Rolex, the Noobmariner or the Explorer I would be your best bets in that price range. Personally, I'd spend a little more and look at an Omega UPO, TAG Aquaracer Chrono, Ebel 1911 or Breitling SFSO.

PS - Congrats on deciding to go back to school after a break that long .... good luck and study hard ... :)

Edited by tomhorn

Congrats on going back to school...out of the watches you said..i would get the Explorer...but since you are going back to school...but check out the Omega PO...and and even a Pam 111...both are really nice watches that say you have great taste but not over the top...like you said...Rolex screams fake...it doesn't bother me since i have a few and a Noobmariner...