When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO Crowns and Tube

StormTooper4

So I get a UPO, ( probably mentioned this before) been putting it off for ages , not really an omega guy but thought its worth a punt, took ages, bracelet broke in a day , crown stripped with in the week. BLAH BLAH usual Replica watch Malarky.

So I Get new rubber strap from Josh, Noice and order Gen Crown and Tube. Get them fitted and its my new favourite watch, La La , take it swimming and I begin to see what the fuss is about.

BUT , now the friggin gen tube/crown is stripped and its worse than the rep, because at least the reps pretended to stay down for a while the gen just sticks out. I t was only on for just over a month!!!!

Thing is I ordered 2 Tubes Just in case I busted them up trying to fit them and I just sold the other Gen because I thought everything was tickerdeeboo. Now I have to buy more

My Question to the Omega Chaps is ARE the Crowns Rubbish Gen and Rep?, is this why they are pretty easy to pick up, because you

I think there are better crown/tube designs out there, but I would not call the Omega rubbish. I have owned a number of gen Omega Seamaster's and never had a problem. I do think you need to be careful with these crowns. If you force them, you can strip them. I always started by turning the crown counter-clockwise with light pressure until I felt it seat and then screwed it down. It always worked for me.

I agree with you Stormtrooper. I have two UPOs and a SMP chrono. The UPOs both stripped within a few months and I replaced the crown/tube in both with gen parts. One has stripped again, and the second one has about one turn worth of thread left. The SMP chrono is getting very close to needing a replacement as well.

Maybe somebody should do a monthly Oferi parts order so we can all split the outrageous shipping cost!

Odd

My UPO stripped in the first month.....

Sold it

My gen SMP and PO both are fine.

SMP is about 4 years old

PO is 3

Both worn in rotation now, but at the beginning both were worn every day for 2-3 months (as you do...)

I've another much older mid size blue gen SMP (from 1996) which I never wear now, and which was worn continually 1996 - 2005

Still unscrews and screws perfectly. Been serviced twice.

These days the way I rotate watches means the UPO is on the wrist every 2 days, and the SMP every night after work.

Starting to become an annorak.......

This way no need to adjust time as they're always running, and so less wear on unscrewing and screwing.

That said - as I write - I've just fiddled with my PO and it's hunky dorey.....

TIP - you probably know this, but before screwing back down I always

* press the crown lightly so it's contacting the tube threads

* turn the crown the wrong way (anticlockwise) maybe a quarter/half turn

* then proceed to screw down clockwise

Just to better catch the start of the thread.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong and will be in the market for replacement parts - hope not.

TIP - you probably know this, but before screwing back down I always

* press the crown lightly so it's contacting the tube threads

* turn the crown the wrong way (anticlockwise) maybe a quarter/half turn

* then proceed to screw down clockwise

Just to better catch the start of the thread.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong and will be in the market for replacement parts - hope not.

Nope, I'd say that tip - which I also do - is exactly the right way to proceed.

It's got me a couple of years out my own modded UPO - sadly it has now finally given up the ghost and stripped.

By the way can anyone remind me, is the tube swap a straightforward swapout procedure, or does it need retapping? Recall someone talking about the case hole being oversized to fit the gen tube and recommending gorilla glue to fit - yikes - is that true? Also any Cousins parts reference number? Thanks.

doc-

I think it was the old Seamaster cases (i.e. 2531) that had the larger rep tubes requiring the glue for fitting gen tubes.

Maybe the case with the UPO too?

BTW... If the tubes are stripping and the threads are on the inside of the tube, aren't you guys worried about metal shavings/dust falling into the case and into the movement?

Thanks for the responses guys and I'm glad that its not just me, though its not something I would wish on anyone.

I will be more careful next time and thanks for the tips, I think I've just be spoilt with the BK crown and tube I've got on my Noobmariner, its as hard as nails.

As for the swap it was pretty easy just needed a bit of glue, though mu watchmaker did give it a bit of a tapping from the inside if I remember, makes me wonder if he will be able to get it out. I've ordered a new one from cousins.uk silly money for postage but they are quick.

But Do you think its the Tube or the crown that flakes or is it both?

ST4

BTW... If the tubes are stripping and the threads are on the inside of the tube, aren't you guys worried about metal shavings/dust falling into the case and into the movement?

UBI!!!

OH DON'T EVEN GO THERE, the movement is one of the best things on mine super smooth

Nope, I'd say that tip - which I also do - is exactly the right way to proceed.

It's got me a couple of years out my own modded UPO - sadly it has now finally given up the ghost and stripped.

Can you describe it a little more?

I will order a PO chrono (correct subdials) today, and I don't want to [censored] up the crown...

Never have watch with screw crown...

I downloaded a GEN users manual, and I read out this:

If I understand good:

To adjust the date and the time:

-I should screw out the crown (Can I screw too much? or it is not possible?)

-I should pull the crown a little to adjust the date (after the pulling I should screw to clockwise to set the date)

-I should pull the crown fully to adjust the time (after the pulling I should screw to cw or countercw)

-After that I should push back the crown and I need to screw it in (back to the original position - clockwise)

Andrew suggested me:

When I pushed back the crown I can start the screwing back, but I also need to push the crown ( push + screwing). And I should do this slowly. OK, I understand this. I

But what is your suggestion?

Sorry, but English is not my first language, and I don't understand the exact procedure that you suggest to save the crown.

When should I screw it Counter-clockwise to click? At the end of the whole procedure?

If you press the crown in and turn counter-clockwise, you should feel a point where the threads catch and give a sort of 'click' feel. Once you feel this click, the threads should be lined up and ready to be screwed down clockwise.

Aham... Thanks the quick reply!

Now I understand it!

The UPO and Genuine use a 2mm thread, thats pretty damm small given the amount of torque you can apply with the crown. This tube design dates back to the quartz Omega's and Tag's from the early 90's. On a quartz design its less of an issue as most owners only use the crown every year or so when the battery is replaced or if traveling. With automatics and especially ones in collections you're using the crowns far more often.

The UPO and Genuine use a 2mm thread, thats pretty damm small given the amount of torque you can apply with the crown. This tube design dates back to the quartz Omega's and Tag's from the early 90's. On a quartz design its less of an issue as most owners only use the crown every year or so when the battery is replaced or if traveling. With automatics and especially ones in collections you're using the crowns far more often.

See I knew they were rubbish!!!!!! made for Battery Watches PAH!!!

Anyway parts list nabbed from R2D4's great RG post(I hope he doesn't mind)

uporeferencesheet.jpg

all the part numbers you could hope for

ST4

MOD please remove if the blatant plagiarism is out of line

• 2 months later...

Ok I was wrong, the tube and crown was fine all along. Its just too small for the hole.

The glue I used though supposed to be metal like just didn't work and the tube just came loose again and I thought it was a bust thread.

I have now had it lazer welded and it seems to ba all good

ST4

I think there are better crown/tube designs out there, but I would not call the Omega rubbish. I have owned a number of gen Omega Seamaster's and never had a problem. I do think you need to be careful with these crowns. If you force them, you can strip them. I always started by turning the crown counter-clockwise with light pressure until I felt it seat and then screwed it down. It always worked for me.

This is absolutely correct. :good:

Ok I was wrong, the tube and crown was fine all along. Its just too small for the hole.

The glue I used though supposed to be metal like just didn't work and the tube just came loose again and I thought it was a bust thread.

I have now had it lazer welded and it seems to ba all good

ST4

I glued my gen tube into my UPO and it came out. I glued ity again and it came out again. I araldited it and it came out. I araldited it again and it's solid.

The first aralditing cleaned out the crap and paved the way for the second to work. :)

If you don't have access to welding, don't give up with the glue.

Why did I need a gen crown/tube? Because the UPO tube stripped, of course.