When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6536-1 / 6536

bertieng

Apart from the movement used in them is different, shall there be any other differences eg. case dimension, crown/tube, tropic, dial etc.?

What is the correct crown/tube used for the 6536? I saw some with the brevet cross and some with the normal underline.

The vintage experts please chim in.

Thanks.

I thought the movement was the same, the 1030. Later 5508's and 5510's used the 1530.

The cases are different between the two- can't remember, but maybe the 6536 is thicker.

Diffferent Tropics- 6536 takes a T-17 and 6536-1 takes a T-16

Crown tube would be 6mm. The 6mm crown with the Brevet cross would be earlier. Basically it's a 24-600 crown and tube assembly (old!).

Dials vary- but both were rated 100m=330ft, may or may not had Submariner on the dial??? The 6538 was rated to 200m=660ft.

Since Rolex no longer services or supports these 50 year old models, parts is an issue- what else can you do but buy old parts or aftermarket to keep the watch together. And then there's the franken builders out there like us, competing for parts! :rolleyes:

Some good points there, Alli. The 2 models do have different crystals - T18 for the 6536 & T16 for the 6536/1, but I think the only difference lies in the height (I only have the T18 on hand, so I cannot do a direct comparison). Both cases should be 37mm x 13mm with 24-600 crowns (Brevet crown, if 'Brevet' is engraved between the lugs).

The crystals are different in height and diameter. I bought a gen tropic-18 and a tropic-16 to fit onto my 6536, and the tropic-16 fit like a glove. The tropic-18 has a prettier dome, but try as I might I could not make it fit my case. Too small.

Tropic-18 and tropic-16. Or is it the other way around? Regardless, they're different diameters. Anyone need to buy my very expensive unused tropic domed crystal? :Jumpy:

Edit: I just bumped my old topic.

Thanks for all the details, you are truly the vintage experts.

It has always been confusing with the early Subs since there were so many variations - dial, hands, tropics, crown/tube......

If the 6536 takes the 600 crown, then I think to bulid a franken can nonly use the upgraded 6020 tube as the original 6000 tube in NOS condition is almost impossible to find, or you ahev to pay a crazy price a used tube that you will never know if the threads are still in good shapes.

I only have the T16, so looks like it is only good for the 6536/1, but I think te aftermarket is only offering the 6536 case :(

It is really tough figuring out all of the correct details- especially since Rolex keeps their cards so close to their chest!

But I do know the T-16 fits the 5508 also. And the 5508 takes either the 1530 or the 1520 movt. The 1520 is readily available in the Air Kings.

I agree with putting in a 24-602 crown and tube, it is much more readily available. Also, I think the bezel insert for the 5508 is the same size as the 5513, etc.

Of course, the original inserts had different printing, but I've seen 5508's w/ the more modern inserts. The old ones aren't around, unless you go to Michael Young in HK, and those are aftermarket. Or pay an outrageous price on the bay or VFR.

• 2 years later...