When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A very rare mil sub indeed

FxrAndy

Yes tis an A/6538. Interesting story about it. I read it on VRF a day or two back. The owner Mike Woods, is quite and expert, he owns a boatload of vintage Rolex Sport models. i've seen some of his watches on display, and he has rows and rows of 1680 Subs, same with just about everything else. It would be interesting to know what his collection is worth, several million dollars I would bet. Guy must be as rich as Bill Gates to afford a collection like his.

Apparently the bezel retention system wasnt very reliable and most of them lost their original silver bezels. I think Mike said this was the only one he has ever seen with the factory bezel still in place. The dial printing sure looks bad, but if Mike Woods says its real, then i would tend to believe him.

@panerai153 - I believe he has a couple million just in mil subs alone.. another million or so in submariners and DRSD's.. and another million in daytonas....

Apparently the bezel retention system wasnt very reliable and most of them lost their original silver bezels.

I believe he has a couple million just in mil subs alone.. another million or so in submariners and DRSD's.. and another million in daytonas....

Imagine that..............sounds like the PT 1680 after the plastic retention gasket is shot! :bangin:

......and that equates to more than 100 collectible pieces. WOW probably the largest exclusive private collection around...or maybe not!

Kinda makes me feel better for having too many vintage Rolex projects on the go....... :whistling: