When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MilSub 5517 Rep, first project.

Elliaz

Dear RWG members :)

As I am relatively new to the forum and vintage watches/modding/franken I have come to the conclusion that meanwhile as I am searching for a investable 1675 or 5508 I would have to start of small in modding and such by putting together parts/mod an all rep 5517 Military Submarine, but I would need your help of course. As it should be all rep, then the price shouldn't be too juicy either, my goal is to keep the cost low (but not too low ofcourse) and the quality as genlooking as possible.

I was thinking that the Case could be obtained from Yuki with a slight mod to the crystal. The dial/hands is still discussable as have not really made up my mind from wear to get it and the movement would most probably be an ETA 2824. I was thinking of agin the dial/hands and bezel myself.

What do you guys think? What would be most preferable to achieve what I am looking for?

Thank you very much lads!

Yours Truly,

EliasAntoine B)

Budget is everything. You should figure roughly where you want to be when your done, that way we can allow for what expense should be spent and where.

If your starting with a Yuki case set, your already into some bigger money. I believe his cases sets are 400-500$

There are a lot cheaper ways to start with (cartel/josh), and of course a lot more expensive ways (Phong) with cases.

Hand options:

http://www.rafflestime.com/servlet/the-907/Submariner-Milsub-Seamaster-300%C2%A0Watch/Detail

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seamaster-300-Diver-Sword-Hands-166-024-165-014-165-024-/141019456240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d56a22f0

As for dials: Yuki and NDT both have 5517 dials that fit 1570 movements

I'm also offering a 5517 ETA dial here:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/160148-whoopys-dial-project-preorder-list/page-5

But, as woof mentioned, if you know your budget, you'll have a better idea of which parts to use. 

Cartel 5517 project is in the $200 - $300 range

Yuki 5517 project $700 - 1000

Phong 5517 $1600 +

Quite a difference!

Hi Elias,

a Yuki case is about $500 without engravings + dial $120-300 + gen crown $30-60 + movement (ETA serviced) $120-200 + crystal (not gen) $10 + Yuki/ofrei pearl $25 ... that's close to $1k, just the head. Not what I would call low-budget if you ask me ;)

If you have no experience with modding, especially modding a dial I would not attempt to do this on such a project. You could go low-budget with a cartel 5517 with minor changes done by yourself or go the Yuki route but then with the help of a skilled modder.

But only my 2 cents ;)

Hi Elias,

a Yuki case is about $500 without engravings + dial $120-300 + gen crown $30-60 + movement (ETA serviced) $120-200 + crystal (not gen) $10 + Yuki/ofrei pearl $25 ... that's close to $1k, just the head. Not what I would call low-budget if you ask me ;)

If you have no experience with modding, especially modding a dial I would not attempt to do this on such a project. You could go low-budget with a cartel 5517 with minor changes done by yourself or go the Yuki route but then with the help of a skilled modder.

But only my 2 cents ;)

+1

This is my modded MBW with Ingod Dial.

post-24760-0-81889400-1356435655_thumb.j

Fixed lugbars, gen crown + tube, gen crystal, CWP Insert, modified relumed Omega Hands and a modified ETA 2846 with the date function fully removed. I had someone do the assembly for me and gathered the parts over some time. I also had the back engraved. In total my 5513 SBS set me back about 1200 Euro if I remember correctly. More than I initially planned for, but I'm quite satisfied with the results. Definitely a challenging project, but worth it in the end. :) Good luck with yours and please post pictures!

Here's another pic with a gen bezel insert before I got the one from CWP.  

post-24760-0-78842000-1360499216_thumb.j

• Like 2

If you can find an old MBW case set that is my preferred option in the lower priced area. Possibly find a full MBW 5513 watch. Then you just need dial, insert, and whatever gen parts you care to add.

Another popular option is to buy a Josh/Andrew 5513 watch (128$) the downside on these cases are the well known stubby or short crowngaurds. As in the picture of my Tudor. Other than that, the josh case accepts genuine parts like the crystal and insert. Many people do it with this watch due to its low cost and gen construction.

Here is a link to Josh's 5513. You may have to click twice to get to the correct page.

http://www.p-cls.com/rlsv01106-vintage-5513-date-submariner-asia-2813-28800-best-p-9667.html

Edited by woof*

This is my Tudor sub, built for 5-600$ A different dial and insert and you have a rough 5517 milsub.

Josh 5512

Gen T19 crystal

Gen dial

Gen crown, aftermarket tube

Engraved case back

Gen insert

D2AE1439-1DAF-4924-AFE0-5E35729B3139-196

Now this is a real beauty! :lol: I personally am not a fan of the "diamond" style hour hand so this fits perfectly my taste :)

This is my modded MBW with Ingod Dial.

Fixed lugbars, gen crown + tube, gen crystal, CWP Insert, modified relumed Omega Hands and a modified ETA 2846 with the date function fully removed. I had someone do the assembly for me and gathered the parts over some time. I also had the back engraved. In total my 5513 SBS set me back about 1200 Euro if I remember correctly. More than I initially planned for, but I'm quite satisfied with the results. Definitely a challenging project, but worth it in the end. :) Good luck with yours and please post pictures!

Here's another pic with a gen bezel insert before I got the one from CWP.  

My dream would be to search for really good and affordable gen parts but I think I'll keep that for my future franken mods, but of course if I find something that is pretty investable I would not want to let it pass unnoticed! This is true eyecandy and the Omega hands fitted perfectly :peace:

Yours, EliasAntoine

If you're not a fan of the sword hands why do a 5517?   :g:  :)    The sword hands (and 60 min bezel) are the distinguishing hallmarks of the 5517 vs. a 5513.

Now this is a real beauty! :lol: I personally am not a fan of the "diamond" style hour hand so this fits perfectly my taste :)

My dream would be to search for really good and affordable gen parts but I think I'll keep that for my future franken mods, but of course if I find something that is pretty investable I would not want to let it pass unnoticed! This is true eyecandy and the Omega hands fitted perfectly :peace:

Yours, EliasAntoine

A little eye candy since we're talking Milsubs....

DSC_1538.jpg

DSC_1578.jpg

DSC_1580.jpg

DSC_1532.jpg

Edited by toomuchgear
  • Like 2

Gotcha, now that makes sense. :)   The Tudor are referred to as ax hands. 

Sorry guys, I was referring to the Tudor snowflake hands (correct naming?) vs. the "mercedes" submariner hands! I truly love the Swords on the 5517 and one of the reasons I would like one :clown:

Edited by toomuchgear

Here's mine from Angus (PT) with an ETA 2846 movement. I think for the price it's one of better out-of-the-box solutions. It has the correct case and markings (the Josh/Cartel (PC) version doesn't, it uses the incorrect SD case, which is much thicker than the 5513).

I've lightly aged the case, dial and hands. Also added a T19 crystal. Installed an insert I picked up on the bay, as the PT one had one too many minute markers, e.g. after the "50" it had 4 instead of the correct 3. It‘s now on an Admiralty Grey NATO strap from Phoenix, who supplied the MOD with the originals.

Next mod will be the dial, NDT is too expensive for me, so I'm waiting for Yuki to re-stock their vintage lume version. (btw. If anyone has one knocking around, please let me know – thanks :))

dezyteqe.jpg
remydepa.jpg
jaqege3a.jpg
u3e3a4a8.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Dear RWG members,

Contemplating a 5517 project - what special steps are needed to mount  an ingods/Yuki/NDT 5517 dial on an ETA movement? 

Plan to use a Puretime 5517 as the base watch and add the following: 

Ingods/Yuki/NDT dial

genuine 702 crown and tube

after market bezel insert

clark T19 cystal

Rafflestime sword hands for ETA

Pheonix Admiralty Grey NATO strap 20mm or 18mm

Your advices and experience sharing are much appreciated!

Edited by auxair
  • Like 1

Sounds like a good spec. Here's an update of mine. I used an Ingod dial in the end. However, don't think he's in business anymore. So you're probably better off going with a Yuki. I also went for a Michael Young T19 crystal rather than a Clark. You might want to consider an Athaya 702 crown and tube set rather than a gen.

87f84fea1d4270b3d8a3e3cd2cfd534e.jpg