When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBK Submariner 5513

JamesJackson

Thanks based on what everyone has said and the pictures its safe to say that the lume is real?

The lume won't shine much at all, if any. That is just like a 30+ year old tritium dial- the lume is basically dead.

But I agree w/ Highoey and Shawn, the 5513/5512 MBW's are excellent reps. With a better acrylic pearl and some modding of the cg's, they are really cool.

My MBW/MBKs are more than 2 years old & the factory may have changed the current design, but my stock dials glowed far too brightly for a 30 year-old tritium dial (which should have little or no glow at all). This is also 1 of the biggest design flaws on many aftermarket dials (the use of modern lume on what is supposed to be a vintage dial) & 1 of the main reasons I replaced (& separately relumed) my aftermarket dials

1575dial0091.jpg

Interesting, Freddy. It just goes to show that things are always changing. My WM 1680 (which is basically an MBW) has no glow to the lume- it's a 4-5 year old rep. And of course, as we've seen with Cats MBW 1680 recently, the dials and cases are changing and not necessarily for the better.

But as an aside, I kinda like the relumed dials on a rep- you can't (or shouldn't) relume a gen, so that's what I think is cool about a rep- who cares, it's still only a rep.

The story I've always heard was the early dials were meters first- European, kinda. Then due to the American market, around 1970 or so, they started with the feet first dials. Meters first are an indication of an earlier dial typically.

I bought a GWSD and 1680 from TTK several years ago. Since that time I installed better crystals, added a new pearl and insert and drilled the lug holes. They look perfect and are the prizes of my collection. I REALLY want one of Eurotimez 5512's but I have read that the new version of MBW do not accept aftermarket/gen parts. I can live without changing the crystal but that insert and pearl has to go so the question I have is.........will the latest 5513/5512 accept without modding a aftermarket insert specifically the poor mans watch corner inserts? These have gen measurements. This plus an otto frie pearl and the watch then takes on a close to gen look. Does anyone know if this insert will now fit the latest MBW 5512/5513?

I bought a GWSD and 1680 from TTK several years ago. Since that time I installed better crystals, added a new pearl and insert and drilled the lug holes. They look perfect and are the prizes of my collection. I REALLY want one of Eurotimez 5512's but I have read that the new version of MBW do not accept aftermarket/gen parts. I can live without changing the crystal but that insert and pearl has to go so the question I have is.........will the latest 5513/5512 accept without modding a aftermarket insert specifically the poor mans watch corner inserts? These have gen measurements. This plus an otto frie pearl and the watch then takes on a close to gen look. Does anyone know if this insert will now fit the latest MBW 5512/5513?

Look here, http://www.yukiwatch.com/index.html , they used to sell on e-bay as well, good quality, I think around $450 for a case but accepts all gen parts, including movement... ;)

I bought a 1680 from Reg. Could be an MBW or not but it ain't the old school quality MBW as it used to be.

I have a gen insert in the bezel which fitted without any sanding. Just to be shure there was some glue inserted to make shure it keeps in place.

Carpe DIem

Cats

I have another question/request. Someone on here PMed me when I asked if I could find a modder for my 1680 and 1665. So I sent him my watches and he ended up doing a not so great job. Anyway.....with the MBW when you take off the end links there are two "washers" that are on the spring bars that keep the end links from having too much "play". Two of these washers is missing and I was wondering if anyone had a couple of spares they could pop in an envelope and send to me? I am located in NJ USA. Thanks.

Freddy:

Thanks for the insert info. Will a Clark crystal also fit the new MBW 5513? It looks as if the lug holes on these models have been made larger to fit gen sized springbars...is this true?

Clark's Rolex crystals are made to the same dimensional specs as the gen Tropics & both should fit the MBW. The lug holes on the stock MBW are too small to fit the 2mm springbars that came with the gen 5513. Many owners drill the stock holes out themselves & replace the springbars with gens or gen-sized aftermarket bars from ebay. There are numerous tutorials that you can find via Search which describe the procedure.

I have another question/request. Someone on here PMed me when I asked if I could find a modder for my 1680 and 1665. So I sent him my watches and he ended up doing a not so great job. Anyway.....with the MBW when you take off the end links there are two "washers" that are on the spring bars that keep the end links from having too much "play". Two of these washers is missing and I was wondering if anyone had a couple of spares they could pop in an envelope and send to me? I am located in NJ USA. Thanks.

I have never seen washers used for springbars. If the correct springbar is fitted to your watch, it should not require any spacers.

Freddy:

So the latest version of MBW will accept a Clark crystal and a PMWC insert? I thought the latest MBW were dimensionally altered so that gen parts would no longer fit? Can you tell me which crystal is the right one for a 5512 or 5513? Regards and thanks again.

I'd say they're about the same.

The 5512 is rarer in the real world because it's a chronometer rated movement. The 5513 is the plain jane dive watch and the least expensive of the two. As far as the MBW's, it would really just be your preference.