When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V2 Top Gun Ceramic

lanikai

- it is missing the faint concentric circles on the 12 and 6 subdials

I know the IWC web site pictures show those rings, but the actual production models don't seem to have them. At least they are so faint that you can't see them without a loupe.

I know the IWC web site pictures show those rings, but the actual production models don't seem to have them. At least they are so faint that you can't see them without a loupe.

i sort of agree, it's very hard to see the actual rings, but I could see the sheen from them appearing to move around the subdials as I moved the watch around under the light.

If that makes sense....

:crazy:

Can't wait for the review R!!! I posted this in another forum but saw the link to RWG and thought I'd add the info here as well. Lots of speculation that the V1 TG case is not ceramic. The Top Gun V1 is indeed ceramic, the pics are pretty damn conclusive I'd say! I have confirmation directly from the maker that the case is full ceramic, caseback rim is ceramic, all other parts are titanium except the screws on the movement holder and the movement holder itself is copper.

IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

Very informative images RB !!

there was a TG that came out roughly 2 years ago that was PVD'd... that may be the V1 people are referring to ..

I have that one btw.. and it is in fact PVD... the TG that came out last year as the one in your pics is definately Ceramic.

Hopefully the dial and markings around the ceramic case will be much improved on the newest remake.

what needs to be kept in perspective..... these are "replications" .. and if you are waiting for a 1:1 ... you really should purchase the genuine.. B)

A~C

Lani

Guest asim

I just want one! The price is awesome and any flaws are just hard to tell. I was debating the price before, now with lower reasonable prices, I ought to go for the kill and swallow flaws.

I used to have the v1 and I am sure that the caseback is made of Titanium. it's as pictured above.

The v2 looks to have kind of different dial but it is still wrong. The rim on the subdial should have been dark grey colour. None of the version addresses this flaw. Meanwhile, the rest of v1 is spot on only that the strap is considerably thinner as compared to genuine strap.

There are other makers making it in PVD and shiny ceramic. Those are just plain UGLY.

From what I can see, the difference in v1 and v2 is just the movement retainer ring.

I would say from the pictures, the ceramic case on the V2 appears to be "cleaner", noticeably the Top Gun engraving on the side of the case looks crisp and sharp. The dial may be better too, the markers at 12, 3, 6 and 9 seem to be much nicer, and from looking at all the dealer pictures, straight and aligned too.....

I really like the fact that the V2 movement has a proper spacer ring and is screwed down, the other IWC's have just that retainer spring, which to me looks weak and poor in terms of dial and movement security........

http://www.kingwatches.net/IWC-158.htm

Cheers! B)

The differences are pretty minor.

v2 has slightly darker tone on the ceramic case than v1.

v1 has much better engraving on the caseback (more refined, sharper and better finishing)

Top Gun stickers looks pretty different, v1 is slightly darker than v2

v1 has more matt black dial than v2 (darker black with the grey rings on 6-12 subdials present at certain angle).

v1 has different retainer ring than v2

v1's chronograph movement mimics that behaviour of ETA7750, the minute chrono counter advances when second is at 59-60 mark.

Polished movement dust cover for v2, brushed movement dust cover for v1.

AR coating is more purplish and stronger on v1 than v2.

The strap is slightly thicker than v2.

It's not the lugholes which is wrong but the thickness of the strap on the reps. I think the genuine strap makes a difference in terms of thickness (you can notice it right away).

My pick is still the v1 due to better engraving on the caseback. This can't be easily fixed.

The differences are pretty minor.

v2 has slightly darker tone on the ceramic case than v1.

v1 has much better engraving on the caseback (more refined, sharper and better finishing)

Top Gun stickers looks pretty different, v1 is slightly darker than v2

v1 has more matt black dial than v2 (darker black with the grey rings on 6-12 subdials present at certain angle).

v1 has different retainer ring than v2

v1's chronograph movement mimics that behaviour of ETA7750, the minute chrono counter advances when second is at 59-60 mark.

Polished movement dust cover for v2, brushed movement dust cover for v1.

AR coating is more purplish and stronger on v1 than v2.

The strap is slightly thicker than v2.

It's not the lugholes which is wrong but the thickness of the strap on the reps. I think the genuine strap makes a difference in terms of thickness (you can notice it right away).

My pick is still the v1 due to better engraving on the caseback. This can't be easily fixed.

Perhaps someone (didn't Eurotimez used to do this?) can get both V1 and V2 and put together the best version out of both parts. It still won't be perfect though.

All this top gun talk along with the massive price drop makes me want one!

wait for some great pictorials by Lani of the latest version before picking one out!