When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tell the truth or tell lies

Packard

It is true that alot more people look at watches (& decide whether they think the watch is real or not) than will ever say anything. So, while it is very rare, in my experience, for a stranger to comment - good or bad - about my watch, I am aware that most people are thinking about it (sizing me up against my watch - do I look like I could afford the watch I appear to be wearing).

I think you're definitely right to say that more people will actually look at a watch and make a decision but not say anything, compared to the few who might. I definitely think the key to wearing a watch without raising that "is it real?" question, is to wear the watch, not let it wear you... :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know why (since, in my quarter century of collecting watches, I have only ever had 1 stranger - a waiter - ask about my watch), but this has to be 1 of the most frequently asked questions by newbies. Some people must travel in very suspicious circles. :unsure:

Same amount of time for me. I have yet to have anyone ask. If they did why lie?

I've noticed several Omega's lately, and I've commented on their watches and they both said, "It's real" and then I proceed to show them mine without the benefit of any knowlege of them knowing it's real or a rep. I've shown my PO and my Pam to them. We had a couple of lines of conversation, but the topic of reps never came up.

One colleague noticed my B&R Military and I just said, "oh, yah, thanks" and proceeded on with a work related conversation.

that's all you need to do.

If someone asks, then I'd say, "what do you think?" I won't be the first to fess up. I'd let them guess first. If they are correct, then I'd say " oh really?????" hmmm with a smile. If they think it's a gen, then I'd just smile in appreciation and let it be at that.

Only one colleague at work, whom I really don't give a sh!t about and who is always a topper in the converstations, and always has stories I find hard to believe, I bullsh!t all the way to him and have lots of fun with it. :D

Edited by If you see Kay

No one really cares except for friends co-worker or family. I have a bunch of gens in my mix and my co-workers just assume that all my watches are real. Others just say "I like your watch" or "nice watch". Best response is just to say "thanks". :)

No one really cares except for friends co-worker or family. I have a bunch of gens in my mix and my co-workers just assume that all my watches are real. Others just say "I like your watch" or "nice watch". Best response is just to say "thanks". :)

I thank everyone for their replies, and by the way is that avatar really you?

(Now we will see who is a liar and who is not.)

Very few people care about watches, out in the real world. 90% of people around my office have black plastic lcd watches.

If anyone asks, or just admires the watch, I will say it's a replica (I may even use the word 'fake') because I like the watch but can't justify the price tag.

The few people I've had this conversation with were more curious than anything else. So far it has been very few people because I've more 'homage' watches or vintage brands no-one recognises. My view is a nice looking watch is a nice looking watch whatever it costs and I'm quite proud when I find a bargain.

I have been comlimented dozens of times (40+ unique times I would say)

Everyone except for a handful were just the Nice Watch variety, to which I respond Thank You and end the conversation about said watch.

The changes of a stranger wanting to have a long conversation about your watch, its brand, history, if real or fake are very slim at best.

if you complimented a women on her dress would you give a dam how much it cost, where she bought it, designer name, etc..?

No, maybe you want to know how it looked on the floor but other than that a compliment usually is stating that you notice something not that you want to know more about it.

If someone said to you nice car would you say it is a 200x, brand x, limited edition, x paint color that you bought at x and x dealer.

If you talked like that you would end the conversation and any future conversations pretty fast.

If the other person cares to know more they will inquire.

The handful of other instances I recall were close friends and they just wanted a better look at the watch, so I let them hold it and try it on.

Again I didn't say anything, they didn't want to hear anything.

Any other type of lengthier conversation would mean they are as into watches as me, and then I would say it is a rep and maybe that would spark a new conversation with both parties interested, As I stated the chances of that happening in everyday life are not high and not something I plan my day around.

Lie! Lie through your teeth! And then promptly visit an AD thereafter to fool the staff with your watch.

:)

:rofl:

And then look for some fora to boast about the AD not spotting a rep, and promptly getting banned ;)

Edited by Chronus

Someone at a company holiday commented on my gen IWC Fliegerchronograph (~$4k) and said "What did that watch set you back, $300-$400? ...I didn't quite want to say "Ah, like 10x that." so I just said "littler bit more..." and shrugged it off to discourage more questions.

I was wearing a Rex-built 111h at a conference last week and a vendor out of the blue said "How do you like that watch? I've been eyeing them for a while and am considering getting one." - I was completely caught off-guard, usually I'm wearing my gen 111k and felt totally self-conscious, but just said something about "If you like the big size, it's a great watch." I was surprised how much I stammered being questioned while wearing a rep.

I guess I'm mostly a gen guy and still new to the rep world, although you would have to be pretty sharp to recognize this Rex-built 111h as being a rep, I shouldn't worry (or care).

I always say "thanks" - tons of converations started due to various watches. I think it all relates to the environment - S Florida is quite "materialistic", so you see ALOT of nice watches (gen/rep).

The one problem, if you wear a Rolex. Even if it's a gen 90% of the people assume it's a fake. :(

for the 2 times I though I would be called out I said: "This is the rep of the gen I have at home ". Of course it did not hurt that I was in a custom suit.

For close friends, I just put the watch in their hand and they don't ask any further - 99.99% still think reps are a fantasy "Polex" from canal street.

ALSO Here's a man tip: you def have to match your watch to your dress or your asking for trouble. For me it's BCE with a suit / SOH on rubber with golf attire / SA or Skyland with Jeans and a jacket / Skyland or SO on leather with shorts. I dont have the balls to do an SA with a suit yet (not that I could get it under the cuff).

I was at at Charity dinner with the wife the other weekend, sat next to a Banker bloke who was bigging it up that he played POLO etc.....(whatever), anyway he had a Gen Pam 159, it was sweet, the Date font was MASSIVE . My Dear Wife then points to his watch and says to me out loud , "is that one of those Thingy Watches you like?", "My Husband is obsessed by watches" blah Blah, then the Bloke next to my wife goes "Are you 2 (me and Banker) wearing the same watches?", to which I return, No Mine is a Chronograph his is a GMT, other bloke shrugs shoulders, (he's seen my UPO before and lusted after it). Banker turns to me and says mines a 40mm do you want to try it on. I decline sheepishly. I had my 7753 196 on. It was not the best of moments it has to be said on a table of 10.

The reps I own are in the 99% category so people usually don't question their authenticity. When the occasional A-hole demands to see it and says "This is a fake" I usually reply "You think this is fake?" That's usually enough to get them to back down. If the person is knowlegable about reps (I've run into ONE in 10 years of collecting) we have a great conversation about the state of the replica art. I had a guy once demand to see my Breitling Bentley rep and he confidently declared "This thing is a fake...see...it says Bentley on the back...not Breitling!" What a brain!

It's as big a deal as we make it.

If some one comments on my watch then my response is, "Thanks, I really like this watch". If they want to discuss it then I tell them "I really like it but, its a not real", I don't get defensive or embarrased about it so never becomes a big deal. I have got better things to spend my hard earned on (like my kids).

MD

I took my gen 14060 into a local watchmaker to quickly have the clasp adjusted as the watch was a bit loose on my wrist (only picked it up that morning - I was too lazy to fiddle with the clasp myself and the dealer I got from was a 20min walk.. hey I'm lazy). Said watchmaker takes it out the back, adjusts the clasp and then returns it to me, throws it on the counter VERY roughly and quite aggressive... I then hear 'how much you pay for that fake rubbish' WTF??? I just spent 4k AUD on it.. fake my butt! I have to say having a so called professional behave like this nearly made my blood boil!

Other than that, my colleagues know about my watch issues... so they do notice new watches but other than that, I rarely get asked if I'm wearing a rep or gen.

As someone said on page 2 of this thread, I'm also new to wearing reps so I'm feeling a bit on edge about it and still deciding if it's for me. I've come from the other forums where its bad and I'm supporting illegal activity etc etc etc it takes a bit to get over that for some of us.. says she typing away with her new rep PAM049 on her wrist :)

I took my gen 14060 into a local watchmaker to quickly have the clasp adjusted as the watch was a bit loose on my wrist (only picked it up that morning - I was too lazy to fiddle with the clasp myself and the dealer I got from was a 20min walk.. hey I'm lazy). Said watchmaker takes it out the back, adjusts the clasp and then returns it to me, throws it on the counter VERY roughly and quite aggressive... I then hear 'how much you pay for that fake rubbish' WTF??? I just spent 4k AUD on it.. fake my butt! I have to say having a so called professional behave like this nearly made my blood boil!

Other than that, my colleagues know about my watch issues... so they do notice new watches but other than that, I rarely get asked if I'm wearing a rep or gen.

As someone said on page 2 of this thread, I'm also new to wearing reps so I'm feeling a bit on edge about it and still deciding if it's for me. I've come from the other forums where its bad and I'm supporting illegal activity etc etc etc it takes a bit to get over that for some of us.. says she typing away with her new rep PAM049 on her wrist :)

:o

That's absolutely disgusting behaviour. Okay, so your watch was gen, not a rep, but even if it had been a rep, the idea of a 'professional' treating someone else's personal property like that is utterly shocking. Crazy...

for the 2 times I though I would be called out I said: "This is the rep of the gen I have at home ". Of course it did not hurt that I was in a custom suit.

For close friends, I just put the watch in their hand and they don't ask any further - 99.99% still think reps are a fantasy "Polex" from canal street.

ALSO Here's a man tip: you def have to match your watch to your dress or your asking for trouble. For me it's BCE with a suit / SOH on rubber with golf attire / SA or Skyland with Jeans and a jacket / Skyland or SO on leather with shorts. I dont have the balls to do an SA with a suit yet (not that I could get it under the cuff).

No one questions me at work... I'm wearing a France football (soccer) jersey (2002 double layer edition :p ), Adidas sweats and a RB2... and yeah I work in finance :p I should also say I have a crutch.

Ok, I should say one of the consultants asked me if it's one of the expensive limited editions.

Edited by Chronus

:o

That's absolutely disgusting behaviour. Okay, so your watch was gen, not a rep, but even if it had been a rep, the idea of a 'professional' treating someone else's personal property like that is utterly shocking. Crazy...

Yeh that was my take too. Hey, I'm wearing the most copied watch ever... thats fine I get that. But this guy runs a shop, he sells heaps of watches and he's a watch maker... just appalling customer service! Wouldnt matter if I gave him a quartz sub to adjust, he should have smiled nicely, performed the task asked and politely given me back MY watch.

Oh well... I'll tell everyone I know to not go there..... :)

Yeh that was my take too. Hey, I'm wearing the most copied watch ever... thats fine I get that. But this guy runs a shop, he sells heaps of watches and he's a watch maker... just appalling customer service! Wouldnt matter if I gave him a quartz sub to adjust, he should have smiled nicely, performed the task asked and politely given me back MY watch.

Exactly, at the end of the day, they should simply do the work on whatever was brought in, not pass judgement and then behave like that... Someone like that deserves to go out of business. There was a really snotty jewelers in town, who used to claim that they specialized in Rolex repairs, funnily enough, they've had to take that off their signage recently :lol:

Another gal on the rep forum? ooh...maybe I should stop by more often! ^_^