When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tell the truth or tell lies

Packard

A friend of mine bought an Audi TT, the first version. I asked how much he paid and he said 9 grand. Then, a month or so later, a few of us went on a spring break trip to cancun. A few other friends were talking in the pool about how much he paid for his car, saying 12 grand was a lot! So he told me 9 but told everyone else 12 as it made him sound better!!

Just after I joined this site, and started reading up on how good some of the reps available are, my same friend commented on my Pam, which a friend picked up for me on a mediterranean holiday, way before I knew RWG existed. I have since come to know it was a proper cheapy, im talking PROPER!! So I offered to sell him the watch for 50 quid. He asked why I was willing to sell such a nice watch, so I told him I am saving for a gen. After weeks of research, I have took the plunge and ordered myself a 111h from Angus with the ultimate rubber strap on the side (pics to follow...) which according to tracking should be with me today, cant wait!!

Im defo going to keep up the charade with this dude, as he has done with his car and all of our other friends, its going to be my own private joke! Cant wait to see everyone out and we both have our Pam's on!! B)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I get my reps in the mail I run around showing them off (as reps). Lying about a rep is childish - if you are embarassed to wear a rep, don't wear it, but don't fvcking LIE about it. BE PROUD!

For 5,000 bucks ANYONE can make an amazing watch... there is a LOT more merit in what the Chinese pull off for a few hundred bucks, and that is what I tell everyone I show them to.

A while ago one of my colleague noticed my DSSD and he asked me: "is that a sea dweller?", then I said: "yes, it is.", he replied: "hmmm.. it's looks different because I've got one as well", then I told him: "it's the deep sea version, slightly bigger than sea dweller", he replied again: "is it a new release?", I said:"2008." :p, he didn't say anything afterwards, so does that make me a liar?? :g: :g: :g:

Someone at a company holiday commented on my gen IWC Fliegerchronograph (~$4k) and said "What did that watch set you back, $300-$400? ...I didn't quite want to say "Ah, like 10x that." so I just said "littler bit more..." and shrugged it off to discourage more questions.

When someone asks me a question that I choose not to answer (like my age, for instance) I always answer the same way: "I forget." When they ask again, my answer is always, "I forget" (with the addition of a shrugged shoulders).

So I don't confirm or deny nor tell the truth or lie. I just "forget".

A friend of mine bought an Audi TT, the first version. I asked how much he paid and he said 9 grand. Then, a month or so later, a few of us went on a spring break trip to cancun. A few other friends were talking in the pool about how much he paid for his car, saying 12 grand was a lot! So he told me 9 but told everyone else 12 as it made him sound better!!

Just after I joined this site, and started reading up on how good some of the reps available are, my same friend commented on my Pam, which a friend picked up for me on a mediterranean holiday, way before I knew RWG existed. I have since come to know it was a proper cheapy, im talking PROPER!! So I offered to sell him the watch for 50 quid. He asked why I was willing to sell such a nice watch, so I told him I am saving for a gen. After weeks of research, I have took the plunge and ordered myself a 111h from Angus with the ultimate rubber strap on the side (pics to follow...) which according to tracking should be with me today, cant wait!!

Im defo going to keep up the charade with this dude, as he has done with his car and all of our other friends, its going to be my own private joke! Cant wait to see everyone out and we both have our Pam's on!! B)

Make sure all your friends get nice PAM reps, and the chump will probably run to an AD and buy the real thing so as not to be the odd one out, not realizing the others are all reps :tu:

Make sure all your friends get nice PAM reps, and the chump will probably run to an AD and buy the real thing so as not to be the odd one out, not realizing the others are all reps :tu:

I like your thinking, he would probably do it as well!

Then when he isnt looking, I can switch mine with his... ;)

I like your thinking, he would probably do it as well!

Then when he isnt looking, I can switch mine with his... ;)

The ultimate prank to play on someone who thinks the size of his wallet makes him a big man :D I'd advise against the old switcheroo though, just in case :lol:

@ watchgal

I hate to bring this up I wonder if the watchsmith treated you that way because you're a girl, he might not have dared to act that way to a guy.

Since I'm still fairly new to this I rotate a lot of watches.

Occasionally a patient or parent will notice my watch and comment. My response - "It's an addiction" (Truth)

To friends who comment: "Shhhh - My wife thinks it's a replica" (Truth)

To close friends (most of whom now are atleast cruising here and RG or they own one of my old reps) "yea, I just got it for $---.00 from ________, it's the v2, and I got the strap from _________, and all it needs is _______. (Truth).

Obviously I believe in the Truth; but not necessarily openness.

Since I'm still fairly new to this I rotate a lot of watches.

Occasionally a patient or parent will notice my watch and comment. My response - "It's an addiction" (Truth)

To friends who comment: "Shhhh - My wife thinks it's a replica" (Truth)

To close friends (most of whom now are atleast cruising here and RG or they own one of my old reps) "yea, I just got it for $---.00 from ________, it's the v2, and I got the strap from _________, and all it needs is _______. (Truth).

Obviously I believe in the Truth; but not necessarily openness.

That's a fine collection :good: And an awesome use of the truth as well :drinks:

In the late 1970s a friend of mine (Mike) bought himself a Rolex from a reputable dealer. (It was genuine).

Another friend of mine (Walter) was selling "forgeries" of Rolexes. These were meant to fool both the buyer and all comers. These were not replicas as we know them now.

Shortly after Mike bought his own genuine Rolex he bought a Rolex forgery from Walter for his wife. It looked perfect to my untrained eyes--right down to the packaging.

I said, "Mike, this is a mistake. You cannot buy yourself a real Rolex and your wife a fake one."

He said, "No problem. I'll tell her it is a fake when I give it to her."

"No you won't. She'll say, 'Mike! A Rolex! Thank you, thank you, thank you'". And you will keep your mouth shut.

And that is exactly what happened. But a couple of years later when they were going through their divorce she tried to sell it to the local Rolex dealer who said, "What do you want us to do with this thing?"

Her lawyer used this as "another example of his duplicity" and it weighed against him in the settlement.

(While typing this the mail man arrived with my Breguet replica. It looks nice.)

Edited by Packard

Just for the record; my wife knows which are which. All my gens are gifts from her, all her watches (mostly gens but a few reps) and jewelry are gifts from me.

When someone comments on her watch, jewelry, etc. she says " My husband takes good care of me" (Truth)

I never lie to my wife, and I mean never. And I am 100% open except when she asks a question like "do these jeans make me look ___?" To which I reply with a smile and "I love you" (Truth)

By the way her license plate says "2nd Wife" for good reason (13years)

In the late 1970s a friend of mine (Mike) bought himself a Rolex from a reputable dealer. (It was genuine).

Another friend of mine (Walter) was selling "forgeries" of Rolexes. These were meant to fool both the buyer and all comers. These were not replicas as we know them now.

Shortly after Mike bought his own genuine Rolex he bought a Rolex forgery from Walter for his wife. It looked perfect to my untrained eyes--right down to the packaging.

I said, "Mike, this is a mistake. You cannot buy yourself a real Rolex and your wife a fake one."

He said, "No problem. I'll tell her it is a fake when I give it to her."

"No you won't. She'll say, 'Mike! A Rolex! Thank you, thank you, thank you'". And you will keep your mouth shut.

And that is exactly what happened. But a couple of years later when they were going through their divorce she tried to sell it to the local Rolex dealer who said, "What do you want us to do with this thing?"

Her lawyer used this as "another example of his duplicity" and it weighed against him in the settlement.

(While typing this the mail man arrived with my Breguet replica. It looks nice.)

Moral of the story: Don't tell lies about your reps. It will come back to bite you in the @ss.

there's a saying... "The greatest gift to a Liar is to remember what he said yesterday" ...

meaning one lie breeds another and another to cover up the last.. ad infinitum..

what you have at stake is your dignity and honour.

if Your wearing a 50k watch in a crowd of Casio's .. you deserved to get asked.. :rolleyes:

Honesty is like being pregnant... either you are or you aren't ... :p

It's much more embarrasing to lie and get called out for it..

Tell the truth or ....... give the person "The Look" and walk away... anything but lie.

After all no amount of $$$$ can buy back your reputation... and dignity..

A~C

L

Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and Shanghai Market reps are quite common at my company as there are about 2 dozen of us that travel to China on business. Typically at work it is assumed it is a rep unless told otherwise so I end up telling people my Gens are gens there.

Out in the wild I've only been approached twice. First time I was wearing a Gen. Second time was a custom rep. both times I said thank you when they said "Nice watch."

Just for the record; my wife knows which are which. All my gens are gifts from her, all her watches (mostly gens but a few reps) and jewelry are gifts from me.

When someone comments on her watch, jewelry, etc. she says " My husband takes good care of me" (Truth)

I never lie to my wife, and I mean never. And I am 100% open except when she asks a question like "do these jeans make me look ___?" To which I reply with a smile and "I love you" (Truth)

By the way her license plate says "2nd Wife" for good reason (13years)

Smooth move, brother, I'll have to remember that advise :good: