When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paranoia? Are we being watched?

They're definitely a bunch of "snoops" in here... :ph34r::cc_detective::animal_rooster::partytime::evil2::euro::cc_canadian::cc_arabia::busted_cop: We should start a "Spy" sub-forum; let these guys pull up a chair and feel welcome. :welcomeani::drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

PayPal is another visitor, I bet. :pimp:

Did I mention, the "emoticons" are far superior over here at RWG, versus RG--sorry to get carried away, but can't resist. :yahoo:

Edited by RedSoxMan

I am fairly certain that parties interested in what occurs on these kinds of fora are indeed among us, listening, watching and reading. This kind of discussion, with this kind of membership base (in aggregate among all the different forums) cannot remain underground or hidden...

Never thought that they might to catch you if you sell a watch on a forum? Selling something to a new or low posting member? Am I Paranoi?

I think they'd be--legally--on very shaky ground. They'd be buying it--knowing it was a rep up front. The people they should go after are the ones hawking reps as "gens" on the 'Bay for thousands of dollars.

The only other place for them to route out the problem would be the factories that make them in the first place. Going after an end-user is a fruitless enterprise, IMO. (Just like why cops don't arrest someone who has a joint, anymore...)

RSM

Edited by RedSoxMan

I think they'd be--legally--on very shaky ground. They'd be buying it--knowing it was a rep up front. The people they should go after are the ones hawking reps as "gens" on the 'Bay for thousands of dollars.

The only other place for them to route out the problem would be the factories that make them in the first place. Going after an end-user is a fruitless enterprise, IMO. (Just like why cops don't arrest someone who has a joint, anymore...)

RSM

Hunting private people selling 1 or 2 watches happened some years ago in Germany... it might be fruitless, but good PR..their margins can allow such enterprises.... but you are right that they should hawk down "gen (rep)" sellers., but prove that you did this on purposes...

The quick answer is:

YES we are being watched.

Explanation:

I went out for a drink with a friend here in Dublin. He happened to have his brother staying on visit so he joined in.

We were sitting in a nice pub in town and the brother complimented on my "excellent" Bell & Ross 01-92 i was wearing. I thanked him and explained it was a rep and he said he knew, but a rather good one as well.

I asked him if he was into reps and he said "Kinda".

He went on into explaining that he is a lawyer working the legal department of a Swiss watch manufacturer and he made very clear that he and his colleagues knew their way around in reps.

So, yes, we are being watched.

Surely we are watched. And, even if not, what's the problem? Paranoia is good.

"Trust no one. Keep your laser handy".

Excellent suggestions.

Are we being watched? Don't people remember when it was found out that one of the participants on all the forums was in fact the CEO of Hublot. But the funny thing is that it is most likely not just the gen guys worrying about protecting their product but the larger manufacturers on the rep side checking on the response to their product. After all, they need feedback as well. :)

The companies are watching the forums (for sure) not only to keep a close eye on the rep market but perhaps also on what the market is currently asking for, it is a great place to see what the watchgeek community is willing to pay the big bucks for and what is not going at all, probably a great way to spot some trends.

In addition to whatever evidence the Admins/Mods may have gathered here, his posts to TZ & other gen fora suggested as much.

Biver is the most passionate CEO in the business. You can be rest assured that he monitors the forums closely.

I'm sure some are "Concerned" about how close some of the reps are getting... panerai started engraving all sorts of parts and making things more intricate...

I doubt the rep factories are watching though... otherwise they'd be way further along... how many times do they seem to be going backwards in their accuracy or quality... how many times is V1 better than V3??

just like in software... they're more interested in shutting down the manufacturers and distributers than the buyers... that's the only thing that will slow the progress... also keeping in mind that the vast majority of people buying reps would never actually buy a gen... and that's not lost revenue for the gen manufacturers...