When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How accurate can you get a replica to a Gen

cajunjay

Ive been here for maybe 4-5 days now and have read loads and loads of threads about all aspects of buying, upgrading and looking for the correct replica quality wise.

I noticed most of you guys have bought a replica then upgraded parts to get it as close to the real thing as possble which looks like a hard work but well worth it once its finished.

What I wanted to ask was after finding the right watch then performing the upgrades even the time peice itself how accurate is it then compared to the gen?

I know the average person wouldnt be able to tell the difference even before the upgrades, but say I had a fully upgraded ultimate Panerai and took it for servicing at an established watch maker what would be the tell tale signs its not the real thing?

Edited by cajunjay

I cannot tell you about Pan upgrades (I no longer own any Pans - pocket watches with straps are not my style), but, in general, while you are correct that the average taxpayer will not know the difference, it is not a good idea to take a rep watch to a gen dealer for repair. Most likely, they will (know the difference).

Ive been here for maybe 4-5 days now and have read loads and loads of threads about all aspects of buying, upgrading and looking for the correct replica quality wise.

I noticed most of you guys have bought a replica then upgraded parts to get it as close to the real thing as possble which looks like a hard work but well worth it once its finished.

What I wanted to ask was after finding the right watch then performing the upgrades even the time peice itself how accurate is it then compared to the gen?

I know the average person wouldnt be able to tell the difference even before the upgrades, but say I had a fully upgraded ultimate Panerai and took it for servicing at an established watch maker what would be the tell tale signs its not the real thing?

Well... :g: ....lets say...the movement for starters.. ;)

You wouldn't wanna have real professional watchmaker,let along an AD service technician,take a look under the "hood"..would ya?

Also in some AD service centers they are able to tell the gen movement by just shaking the watch...Rolex for example... ;)

Well... :g: ....lets say...the movement for starters.. ;)

You wouldn't wanna have real professional watchmaker,let along an AD service technician,take a look under the "hood"..would ya?

Also in some AD service centers they are able to tell the gen movement by just shaking the watch...Rolex for example... ;)

You mean if it rattles it is a gen !!!! ;)

More to do with the rotor noise... Gen Rolex movements use an axle bearing for their rotors instead of ball bearings like ETA. There's a difference in sound when the rotor moves...

My point exactly ;)

If you listen to the rotor noise of a gen EXP II next to an eta generated EXP II you will get what i mean.

You'd have more chance of fooling a service technician with a Breitling rep as the gens use modified ETA movements anyway so the rep ones aren't that different, especially if you can get a decorated rotor for it. For the chrono models you'd need to scrap the A7750 and put a Swiss 7750 inside, again with a decorated rotor.

There are so few people that can tell a rep from a gen and usually they will be rep owners rather than gen owners anyway, so why bother going to all the trouble? Modding reps is about the way you feel about it not about fooling some passer by whose opinion doesnt mean [censored].

:)

You'd have more chance of fooling a service technician with a Breitling rep as the gens use modified ETA movements anyway so the rep ones aren't that different, especially if you can get a decorated rotor for it. For the chrono models you'd need to scrap the A7750 and put a Swiss 7750 inside, again with a decorated rotor.

There are so few people that can tell a rep from a gen and usually they will be rep owners rather than gen owners anyway, so why bother going to all the trouble? Modding reps is about the way you feel about it not about fooling some passer by whose opinion doesnt mean [censored].

:)

+1 - For most of the old timers here, t's not about passing off a convincing watch, but more like a fun and creative way to constantly perfect something. Call it "therapy." The results are the same, but the motives are a bit different. Just my 0,02 shekels worth of banter..

+1 - For most of the old timers here, t's not about passing off a convincing watch, but more like a fun and creative way to constantly perfect something. Call it "therapy." The results are the same, but the motives are a bit different. Just my 0,02 shekels worth of banter..

I'd agree with that completely :)

Agreed- That's what makes the hobby fun and interesting to me...