When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got 7K to spend on a gen

Samurai

Ok...so got some money to spend on a gen. Am looking @ spending not more than USD 7K (+ - few hundred).

So what are my choices?

Couple of things that I have looked at...am still deciding....

# PAM 312 - I like it a lot. The movement is in-house Panerai....but I already have a Vac 111h and a couple of Fiddys(DSN & PWC).

# CVSTOS Twin challange - looked @ this watch yesterday.....Tonneau shape.....and 53mm....but did not give me that nice gen feeling. Getting a good deal on a 1 yr old watch @ $4.3K

As such...I like big watches (44mm at least....the bigger the better :p) which has a nice gen feeling and a lot of wrist presence. No Rollies pls.

Would appreciate any help/opinions/suggestions.

Cheers

Overpriced... You can get similarly top of the line Aquatimer split minute for half as much. However... it;s only as big as Cousteau Divers but a bit thicker to accomodate split minute function and you may not like the Ti on it.

The Top Gun is also a light watch. Ceramic + Ti = light.

To me, that's the way to go but for many, the heavier, the better.

How about 7 days Portugieser or even Big Pilot?

after playing with proctologist's 312- I gotta say, it's a nice clean watch- I'd go for that. Had the chance at one earlier this week, but couldn't come up with the full amount quick enough (I DON'T use credit cards if I don't have to!)

by the way, I shipped your watch out today

Overpriced... You can get similarly top of the line Aquatimer split minute for half as much. However... it;s only as big as Cousteau Divers but a bit thicker to accomodate split minute function and you may not like the Ti on it.

The Top Gun is also a light watch. Ceramic + Ti = light.

To me, that's the way to go but for many, the heavier, the better.

How about 7 days Portugieser or even Big Pilot?

Thanks Taka. Will look @ the Portugieser. I had got a rep Big Pilot...and somehow the tiny lugs on the massive watch just didn't cut it for me.

I should mention that I am looking for something that can go well as a dress watch and be worn with Jeans as well. Nice n funky :p

after playing with proctologist's 312- I gotta say, it's a nice clean watch- I'd go for that. Had the chance at one earlier this week, but couldn't come up with the full amount quick enough (I DON'T use credit cards if I don't have to!)

by the way, I shipped your watch out today

Cool....I have not seen the 312 in person yet....but am on the lookout for any deals if I come across one.

Thanks for shipping out the watch mate. Cheers

312 too... The Cvstos won't hold its value well and the Panerai just blew it to the dust.

Agreed!

If you spend such an amount, get yourself a watch which will hold their value ;)

As for which one...because you say no Rolex, I have no idea :huh:

The 312 is great, you wouldn't regret it. I've seen several listed BNIB @ paneristi for $6500-7000. I still love mine.

BUT... don't ignore the Rolex Deep Sea. At 43mm it looks as big as most PAM subs AND blows away engineering-wise ANY sub Panerai has ever produced. It is flat out Rolex's finest watch EVAHH! Can easily be had for $7000 in both M and V. It's a looker in person. On my radar big-time!

312dd.jpg

312bb.jpg

I can't help thinking that some of the IWC's and Panerai's will hold value a lot better long term than the Cvstos. I'd definitely be looking at second hand too, there are some awesome deals out there right now, even on models that were really hot only a year or so back.

If I were you I'd be holding out for something pretty special like a AP offshore or one of the more limited Panerai's on the second hand market. Cash is king remember, and I can imagine $7k would go a long way with someone desperate to quit something.

I'd definitely be looking at second hand too, there are some awesome deals out there right now, even on models that were really hot only a year or so back.

Cash is king remember, and I can imagine $7k would go a long way with someone desperate to quit something.

Agree 100% with the above statements.

Have a browse through - http://www.timeman.net/index.asp

I have done some biz with this guy...whilst I don't think he has too many bargains....I do think he has a pretty good grasp of current market values. So his pricing will give you a pretty good feel of what is out there.

Offshore

I will second or third the second hand market. My approach on gens is to buy as wisely as possible but not for investment purposes but to give me the flexibility to trade in and out of watches when I get tired of them. From a straight investment perspective I would undoubtedly go with a Rolex Red Sub. They traded upwards of $15k less than 24 months ago and are now buyable in your price range. I believe they will be back there in the next five years as they only get rarer. I know that it is not your cup of tea though. Getting into the 44mm plus take a look at the IWC doppelchronograph a very cool watch that will leave money in your pocket. I would echo the deep sea comments. I am going to go against the grain on the 300 72 hour series. It may be the newest watch from Panerai (and it is pretty) but in the long run I would go with one of the 8 day movements and you can now get a 233 in that price range. The 8 day series is their top of the line movement. The 300 series is a stunning watch but it is meant to fill out the middle of their line and you can buy an 8 day in your price range.

IMHO,you have to think long and hard before buying new unless you are getting big price reduction or the dealer is subsidizing your purchase crediting a silly value on a trade-in. The great news is that $7k will go a long ways in the current environment. Take your time and enjoy the "shopping experience". :)

The Doppel chrono on second hand market is very lucrative and well under your budget. When new, it's not so worth it IMHO.

The Doppel chrono on second hand market is very lucrative and well under your budget. When new, it's not so worth it IMHO.

If they are going to discontinue the inner bezel Aquatimers, pick up one of them and the older 2000m titanium ones too :tu:

Otherwise, if you can stretch to an AP ROO, I'd go for that.

If you want to get a whole bunch of watches rather than just one, I'd also throw in a Sinn U2 and a Doxa :)

Edited by Chronus