When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Messages Etched In Flesh

vlydog

I have been thinking about this for quite some time. The idea of getting a tattoo has come and gone many times but lately I have been taking this plan seriously.

An image that you have to live with for the rest of your life should be considered seriously and should not be entered into lightly. I stumbled upon a good book called BODY TYPE which is filled with photographs of typographic ink. This is the direction I will most likely follow. The idea of an ambigram is intriguing also.

Can anyone here recommend a good book which illustrates examples of different typeface?

Or

recommendations on tattoo designs, designers, etc.

Thank you

I have been thinking about this for quite some time. The idea of getting a tattoo has come and gone many times but lately I have been taking this plan seriously.

An image that you have to live with for the rest of your life should be considered seriously and should not be entered into lightly. I stumbled upon a good book called BODY TYPE which is filled with photographs of typographic ink. This is the direction I will most likely follow. The idea of an ambigram is intriguing also.

Can anyone here recommend a good book which illustrates examples of different typeface?

Or

Thank you

It's all about personal feel. I've got multiple pieces and they all have a significant meaning to them. Are you into retro-oldschool Sailor Jerry type artwork or the more macabre Paul Booth type stuff? Look around for what you want. Try to find a freehand artist. Anyone can put a trace of a piece of flash on you but a true artist ill bring it to life. Don't just go to the closest shop or the cheapest price. Look around for a tattoo convention to see multiple artists in the same location and then book something out. Get a good feel for your artist. Once you're bt y the bug you will be back for more and find someone that you're comfortable with.

Where are you located? I can find some recommendations by type. My friends own shops here in New England.

Have fun and good luck.

It might be instructive to have heard my reply to my neice when she said she was going to get a tatoo (she didn't):

If you had $250,000.00 burning a hole in your pocket and you walked into a Ferrari dealership and plunked it all down on an F430, would you immediately take it home and scratch your initials on the doors with a can opener?

Nature creates some damned aesthetically pleasing products (human and otherwise) and they are rarely improved in appearance by man's intervention.

Unless you feel driven to making a philosophical statement, I'd leave the "slate" clean.

Or

Thank you

I can't give you a book name, but if you were to do a search for something on fonts and type-setting, then you might come across some interesting results :)

Anything else, such as design, is such a personal thing, that I couldn't make any suggestions without knowing more about what you had in mind, other than be 10000000000% sure that you are 10000000000000000000% positive on the design which you want to have done. If the artist tries to get you to change your mind, simply because they don't want to do that design, then walk away. Of course, there is a difference between an artist making suggestions which may enhance a design, and someone outright insisting that they will only do the design a particular way. The biggest tell there, is making excuses. If someone can justify that X change would enhance Y design because... then chances are they know what they're talking about. If all they're coming out with is "It would just look better" and not expand on that, it might be worth considering another artist...

With regards artists, get recommendations from friends, go to various studios and see how they're set up. Does the artist(s) have a viewable portfolio of recent work? What kinds of tattoo do they specialize in? (getting someone who specializes in tribal to do a black and grey portrait could lead to some... 'interesting' results... ;) ) Are the designs on their walls stock-purchased, or drawn themselves? Is their facility sterile? Do they take ID checks seriously? All these are things which must be considered when choosing a tattoo artist. Look at it as the beginning of a long-term relationship. Chances are, you will stick with an artist for some time (much like a favored barber or tailor) so be sure that their skills match your requirements.

Best of luck, and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask :)

It might be instructive to have heard my reply to my neice when she said she was going to get a tatoo (she didn't):

If you had $250,000.00 burning a hole in your pocket and you walked into a Ferrari dealership and plunked it all down on an F430, would you immediately take it home and scratch your initials on the doors with a can opener?

Nature creates some damned aesthetically pleasing products (human and otherwise) and they are rarely improved in appearance by man's intervention.

Unless you feel driven to making a philosophical statement, I'd leave the "slate" clean.

No, but I would start customizing it and re-spraying it to get it the way I want it to look ;) Just because something has been well made, that doesn't mean that it can't be improved upon ;)

I have a design from Teejay, if I were you I'd pm him for his input. I recommend him most highly.

you have obviously not seen the girls in my area :yuk:

n733100166_1905288_8853.jpg

Spooky in the name of all that is good, is she real?

My friend go a probably more extreme case with scarification on his wrist with a symbol he liked. Now it kinda fades and just looks like a scar. He kinda regrets it and rather would have spent the money on furthering his other tattoos

Yes, and as soon as she gets past that acne and hair, she'll turn into a babe. Mark my words, I've seen it happen. Get your name on the list early. :)

Pug, God help the lass but she reminds me of a Neanderthal, no amount of make-up or quite frankly anything else save life risking plastic surgery would improve that.

Pug, God help the lass but she reminds me of a Neanderthal, no amount of make-up or quite frankly anything else save life risking plastic surgery would improve that.

You might be right. I've been surprised in the past, though.

you have obviously not seen the girls in my area :yuk:

n733100166_1905288_8853.jpg

HOLY!!!! Looks like the dude from Aphex Twin on the right.... You just gave me nightmares spooky :p

When choosing a tattoo you must be extremely careful as to what you choose, where you put it and the tattoo artist themselves...

I am living proof that tattoos can go horribly wrong, and i am paying the price by having a half sleeve on my left arm completely lasered off.

Just to let you guys know laser tattoo removal is hands down one of the most painful and expensive things i have ever had to go through.

So far i have spent on TWO treatments (i am likely to need another 6 more, at 5-8 week intervals) about $800, that is almost as much as i paid for the half sleeve and i have another 6 treatments to go!

So dude, be careful, realise that even though you can get rid of tattoos these days completely and without scarring that it is a very expensive and painful process so whatever tattoo you do decide to get, only get it if you have these viewpoints:

1. YES, if i should grow tired or dislike my tattoo i am comfortable leaving it on my body

2. YES, if i should grow tired or dislike my tattoo i am comfortable paying crap loads of money and going through crap loads of pain to get rid of it

Oh and as a side note, there is not a single laser tattoo removal machine on the planet that can completely remove a COLOR tattoo without scarring or just fading it.

Hope this helps :)

Moi

P.S. If you want to see a video of me getting it done (the laser removal) i can find one my friend took and show you. :p

It's all about personal feel. I've got multiple pieces and they all have a significant meaning to them. Are you into retro-oldschool Sailor Jerry type artwork or the more macabre Paul Booth type stuff?

Have fun and good luck.

Thanks studio253,

I am almost certain that I will go for a typographic tattoo. No color at all; only black. I really like the look of some of the old typefaces and calligraphy. Tossing around the idea of my birth year in Roman numerals.

I am located in NY state.

I can't give you a book name, but if you were to do a search for something on fonts and type-setting, then you might come across some interesting results :)

Anything else, such as design, is such a personal thing, that I couldn't make any suggestions without knowing more about what you had in mind, other than be 10000000000% sure that you are 10000000000000000000% positive on the design which you want to have done. If the artist tries to get you to change your mind, simply because they don't want to do that design, then walk away. Of course, there is a difference between an artist making suggestions which may enhance a design, and someone outright insisting that they will only do the design a particular way. The biggest tell there, is making excuses. If someone can justify that X change would enhance Y design because... then chances are they know what they're talking about. If all they're coming out with is "It would just look better" and not expand on that, it might be worth considering another artist...

With regards artists, get recommendations from friends, go to various studios and see how they're set up. Does the artist(s) have a viewable portfolio of recent work? What kinds of tattoo do they specialize in? (getting someone who specializes in tribal to do a black and grey portrait could lead to some... 'interesting' results... ;) ) Are the designs on their walls stock-purchased, or drawn themselves? Is their facility sterile? Do they take ID checks seriously? All these are things which must be considered when choosing a tattoo artist. Look at it as the beginning of a long-term relationship. Chances are, you will stick with an artist for some time (much like a favored barber or tailor) so be sure that their skills match your requirements.

Best of luck, and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask :)

Great advice TeeJay. I am not the kind of person who rushes into anything. I will do my homework, research and be 10000000000000000000000000000% sure I am making the right choice.