When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep dealers not hit by economic hard times?

cj85

After buying a few middle of the road gens latley and watching pricing on high end watches come down due to the economic crisis I cant help but be a little supprised that none of the main rep dealers have lowered their prices. The mark up for the dealers must be huge when you consider how cheap the parts and labour costs are in China. I mean when you can pick up nicely made "Swiss made" Swiss Army, Tissot, Invictia etc for cheaper then you can a poorly made quartz rep it kinda has you wondering. Any way just something I was thinking about while wearing my $450 Swiss Army Maverick II Chrono I picked up the other day for $84.

Guest HaloArchive

Exactly as Ken said. Price, Product and Demand. If we all stopped buying reps for a month, I can garuntee the prices would soar down so we would buy and the businesses could still stay afloat.

I guess, as above, it's a case of supply and demand, and prices reflect that. Reps provide a more affordable product than gens, so while folks might not be able to afford a new gen, a rep is not a financial impossibility, so they're more likely to be purchased by collectors, so the dealers aren't feeling the need to drop their prices. Of course, there are some very cheap reps available :)

I'd like to know how many of those $1k Hublots they're still selling. :D

Now there's a typical example, all those Hublots are now hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Stop buying and down comes the price.

Ken

Along with cheap reps comes cheap ingenuity, cheap qc and cheap production methods creating a cheap and problematic watch :)

lol isint that the case with at least 50% of all even the "expensive reps". I own a decent collection of both $100 reps and $200-300 reps, and wouldent suggest that there is much difference in the quality control that goes into either. Quality conrol is the 2 words that come up more often then any other two when talking about reps. Thing is if the QC at the chinnese worker in the factory making Casios to retail for $50 each can do a decent job youd think the QC at a factory putting out reps that sell for $100-500 could do a simmilar job. It's a pointless discussion really as nothing will and ever does seem to change as far as QC is concerned, I guess the answer is to Buy a Gen within your budget if you want something made to last and without flaws.

Guest HaloArchive
Gee, If reps got any cheaper...you may find a lack of QC, or after sales backup :shock:

O/S

As if we get that anyways...

ET as an example, he claims to do a QC. The Zigmeister should order a Noob sub from him and one from Josh and see if ET is telling the truth. :pardon:

Guest HaloArchive

People that are interested in debunking or, finding out if its real should pitch in say... $20 then the pieces could be raffled off to make money for the board.

I was looking at a rep Omega Po that my friend has, he has had It for about 7-8 years. I was not impressed to say the least. The rep watches today are so much better than they were, It's stagering Imo. I know that this Is a little off topic but :g: ??? The rep watches that they make today are quite remarkable. This Is big bussiness In the orient and a lot of people depend on the sales of these watches. Rep watches were a gag joke not long ago but not anymore. These reps are getting better, Incrementally better as time go's on. It kind a of makes you wonder what reps will be like In another 3-5 years or so. What amazes me Is that these reps are imulateing there counter parts for literally pennies on the dollar, absosolutely unbelievable replications :o I think that some of these points among others might be the reason that the dealers hold steady on there priceing. :) Mike

Along with cheap reps comes cheap ingenuity, cheap qc and cheap production methods creating a cheap and problematic watch :)

I'd have to disagree... I've never bought the most expensive reps, and the ones I've bought have been okay. The only problems I've really had with cheap reps, are ones I've inflicted on them myself... I have a very cheap rep on it's way, which was purchased so I can use it as a parts donor, but I'll be happy to evaluate it's quality (or lack of) before I take it to pieces :) Of course, there are some real cheapies out there which are garbage, but given the markup which dealers apply, it would not be unreasonable to think that some of the cheapo dealers are simply shifting the product at cost price, in the hopes of making a profit from overall volume of sales...

I dont believe any the asian-movement reps costing more than MAX $100 to buy from the factory. Or do you really think some of these reps cost $500, with the normal Asian 7750?

Sure, the dealers say they do"quality control", but how many of those do something better than winding and letting the watch run for a day before sending (if even that)?