When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Button Down or what?

valerian

Button down oxford cloth, or silk shirts.

No.

There are a myriad of beautiful cut shirt collars, what is the need to button them down?

I believe it was mostly a school tradition involving club ties.

I seem to see mostly older men wearing them with some type of logo on them, tucked in.

Know what I mean?

is anyone else surprised about how many people are talking about button down shirts vs. button down collars? :huh:

What's the difference? Same thing to me, the latter is just a little more specific - whatever they're abhorrent as I mentioned earlier.

If you're talking the use of cufflinks, then that's button-down CUFFS although I've never ever heard double-cuff (i.e. French cuff to you lot) shirts being described as 'button-down' never mind as 'collars', that's just plain weird and wrong in so many ways.

That old 'two cultures divided by a common language' thing again I suppose. :huh:

Button down shirts are a classic American style. No, they are not formal enough to be work with a suit. Without a jacket, or maybe with a blazer, it looks fine. Brooks Brothers created the shirt in the 1800's, and it is still around today, and will still be around in another 100 years. Preppy...............yes, it is. In the last year, alot of men's fashion designers have gravitated towards "updated" preppy looks with bright colors and classic American style. If you like it, wear it. Some people can't pull off certain looks. If I had a nickel for every guy I saw with an untucked shirt with the sleeves rolled up and jeans, I would be rich :) Be different.

I have no problem with the button down collar. Although I tend to have a casual outfit when I do wear them. Sometimes I'll wear a tie with it as well(always four in hand knot) and jeans or khakis. It's not my first choice of collar but I happen to work at a clothing retailer where the button down collar is very common. My first choice is always a spread collar with or without a tie.

I don't see anything wrong with wearing a button down collar with a suit as long as the shirt is not too casual like oxfords or distressed. What I really can't stand is the dress shirt with a small collar. It looks like you're wearing a boys shirt. A man's shirt needs a mens size collar.

In the US at least, I still think Button Downs work although I agree with Ubi and reserve mine, mostly for dressed down attire with jeans. I have always preferred the english tab collar on my dress shirts or the hidden button underneath the collar.

i wear button shirts on casual fridays. much like dluddy, i prefer tab collar shirts and ones with hidden button down under the collar

-Michael Kors metal button knit

-

The shirt has a more tailored fit through the abdomen, though since I have my hands in my pockets it's bunched at the bottom thus negating that effect.

Ubi, you have great taste! I have that shirt in all 3 colors (black, white, and light blue) since the cut actually makes it look like I'm...er...not that fat. They also make it in polo style cut the same way. If you guys are near a TJ max, I bet they have them right now for $19.

Button downs are OK as long as they're not Poppy Bush oxford style. Kiton makes a very crisp looking button down, but you have to find one at the outlet mall...on sale...or you will pay $450. Ralph Lauren button downs are the ugliest shirts of all time. They're the only shirts that guarantee people will think both that you are trying to show off labels AND that you paid no more that $19 at Marshall's.

Edited by archibald

• 2 months later...

I like button downs, but as a rule, never wear one with a suit....straight collar only. Button downs, for me, are for casual Friday, or if I am just going to wear khakis and a blue blazer. Casual, never formal.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...