When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a Franken Datejust, which ETA movement is recommended?

bruce79

I've got a gen case set complete with dial & bracelet on its way to me. What movement would one recommend to use for the gen dial? Would a 2836 work? 2824 or 2892? I've been checking out some ETA 2892 movements on the bay...one is an ETA 2892 based Omega movement...what should I be looking out for when it comes to the diameter & height of the movement? I've got a movement conversion ring on its way from Stilty right now.

Also, I'm assuming I cannot use the gen hands on the ETA movement...no matter which one I end up using. Can the gen hands be modded to fit the ETA 28xx movement or should I just use aftermarket hands? Can someone recommend a good supplier of accurate aftermarket datejust hands? Should I just source a donor rep datejust?

Edited by bruce79

Start here:Birth of a Franken

The hardest part about getting the right movement is making sure you have one where the pin heights for the hands are tall enough. The "normal" movement will not allow the hands to clear the dial surface.

Also, go to Clark Watch Parts on eBay for hands. His user name is Nostalgia_2000, I think.

I see, I'm using a 16030 case set so that would be a 3035 movement...so I ordered a stilty 2824/2836 conversion to 3035 ring. That takes care of that. So Tudor hands will work on the 2824 movements because Tudor used 2824 movements in their watches, right. I suppose the bay is a good place to start looking for the hands. Thanks for your responses!

kbh is right- You'll definitely want to go with taller minute and hour wheels to clear the indicies. But that's a pretty easy swap out on 2824's and 2836's. Requires a little work getting into the movement on the dial side, but nothing too painful.

Hmm, I'm definitely going to need a little coaching with this. I am comfortable uncasing a movement and such but I'll have to look into the swapping of the minute and hour wheels. Once the parts get here, I'll post pics and will document the whole process. :)

Edited by bruce79

Funny enough, I'm doing exactly the same at the moment, 16030 case and Stilty ring on its way!

I've PM'd Stilty to ask what 4th wheel,canon pinion and hour wheel I should use for a 2824-2, parts are available from Cousins UK it seems.

Seems to be the fashion at the moment to do a DJ Franken!

Just a quick question. Is it safe to say that the ETA 2892 will not fit into the 16030 case...even with the conversion ring? It looks like stilty's 2892 conversion ring is only for the 3135 cases. So I'd be looking for either a 2836 or a 2824?

Wow, those pics have whetted my appetite! I love the stick dials. I really can't wait to get started on mine!

Small point, while doing research, think it was Stilty but not sure, I read that the fourth (seconds) wheel needs to be changed which makes sense if you have a higher cannon pinion. It's a simple enough job on the 2824/2836, and I have a 2824 in bits right now so even easier, am I right in thinking it is necessary?

a-and-e-watches always seems to have a big selection of cases and DJ dials. Some no reserve, many with Buy It Now or Best Offer.

hitecpro also has them from time-to-time ... he has a 16014 now.

I got mine from A-and-E with a best offer of $200 which seems like a bargain. Though I just missed one with a gold bezel auctioned by jjwwatches with no reserve which went for about $210, an even bigger bargain, I was only just outbid too. Unfortunately the auction ended at 3am my time so I had to set it up to snipe, but just didn't put a high enough figure in. Stupid.

Wow, those pics have whetted my appetite! I love the stick dials. I really can't wait to get started on mine!

Small point, while doing research, think it was Stilty but not sure, I read that the fourth (seconds) wheel needs to be changed which makes sense if you have a higher cannon pinion. It's a simple enough job on the 2824/2836, and I have a 2824 in bits right now so even easier, am I right in thinking it is necessary?

There are a lot of people smarter than I am here, but what I've gleaned from reading is that there are about 5 different sizes(depending on which eta model). The standard canon pinion will work with a couple of the higher hour and minute wheels. The highest is about 1 MM taller than the normal size 2 set. This one definitely needs a canon pinion change. Somewhere there is a table of sizes in one of the Eta parts manuals. I just can't find it right now. The standard size (2) won't work though.

If anyone has a link handy to the Eta parts diagram, I'm sure that's where I saw it.

I got mine from A-and-E with a best offer of $200 which seems like a bargain. Though I just missed one with a gold bezel auctioned by jjwwatches with no reserve which went for about $210, an even bigger bargain, I was only just outbid too. Unfortunately the auction ended at 3am my time so I had to set it up to snipe, but just didn't put a high enough figure in. Stupid.

I am looking at one of their 16030's right now. How was the quality? Did the case come in good shape?

Also Ubi, nice dial. Have been looking for one of those for ages as the plain silver just doesn't do it for me.

Edited by tomhorn