When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Weekend Wrist Check

By-Tor

yes, I finally made time to shoot some pics of her. she is amazing. I felt a bit uneasy about her bracelet, stretch, wear etc. I replaced a few of the bracelet screws, here is a pic showing why, 30 years of wear on the poor screw has worn is halfway through:

DSCN3808.jpg

That type of wear I don't like, compromises the safety of the watch. however, the wear in these pics I love as they are the details that give this vintage character:

end link wear at lug:

DSCN3814.jpg

wear the buckle:

DSCN3809.jpg

I am looking for a period jubilee for her, as in my opinion the GMT should be on one, if anyone knows of one, let me know :)

I've been looking at this camera Freddy. How's the battery life?

To tell you the truth, I never think about battery life. I use Radio Shack Ni-MH AA rechargeables & they seem to last for at least a few hundred pics (some with flash). I have gotten used to carrying a 2nd set of batteries with me. I love the 20X zoom & image stabilizer, but I am a bit disappointed with the image quality. Specifically, the amount of chromatic aberration (colored fringing) that can appear (regardless of ISO/aperture settings) where very light areas meet very dark areas (like on a black dial with white lume dots). Because of that, I also have a Lumix LX3 en route, which is supposed to have superior image quality (my primary concern). Initially, I was going to return the SX10. But now that I have spent more time with it (& that incredible zoom), I may end up keeping it, regardless.

To tell you the truth, I never think about battery life. I use Radio Shack Ni-MH AA rechargeables & they seem to last for at least a few hundred pics (some with flash). I have gotten used to carrying a 2nd set of batteries with me. I love the 20X zoom & image stabilizer, but I am a bit disappointed with the image quality. Specifically, the amount of chromatic aberration (colored fringing) that can appear (regardless of ISO/aperture settings) where very light areas meet very dark areas (like on a black dial with white lume dots). Because of that, I also have a Lumix LX3 en route, which is supposed to have superior image quality (my primary concern). Initially, I was going to return the SX10. But now that I have spent more time with it (& that incredible zoom), I may end up keeping it, regardless.

Yeah. I like a good zoom on point and shoots, especially for my son's baseball games. I have an older Sony DSC-H5, 7.2 mp w/ 12x zoom (2x would be sweet). The macro works pretty good on it also.

I'm not sure about the chromatic aberration, but maybe excessive compression. Are you on the highest picture quality setting?

Nothing different from me, externally, at least ;)

DSCN1615.jpg

I performed a movement transplant this morning, returning the original factory movement to the case, as the new movement (which came under the dial :D ) was stopping every 36 hours or so, so clearly some kind of problem with the rotor/self-winding mechanism... Strange the rotor rotates, I could hear the gears winding, I could even see them winding when winding the rotor by finger, with the movement exposed, but for some reason, the movement kept stopping after 36 hours, so I thought easier to just swap the movement back, and keep the back up movement in the back up watch, as I seldom wear a NATO strap for 36 hours (and if I do, I'll just have to hand-wind it PAM-style :D )

An unusual choice for me today. Having been bitten with mods/repairs recently (thanks, Ubi) I decided to pull this one out of the drawer and have another go at fixing it before selling it as parts. It's nearly working properly, and now just needs adjusting for beat-rate as I'm pretty sure that's an issue with it. It's not keeping the best of time and the jitters on the second hand may be drag, they may be low-power from bad timing. I've got graphite ready for a further fix if needed.

No new photos, I'm afraid.

portuguese-01.jpg

20060919.jpg